Commercial Awareness

Mohanjith

Jul 28, 2018
I have been following a few stories that have interested me such as the Disney Comcast battle, the takeover of GKN and the Pret acquisition because I like to understand why these deals were done (eg- increasing competition by online platforms like Netflix) and the different strategies (share purchase or asset purchase, bids fuelled by debt etc) used.

Is it appropriate to use these as examples to speak about the impact on a firm from a news story that I am interested in?
Some factors I could speak about are how a similar deal could bring in business for the firm from employing different departments as finance and corporate or how that deal could create opportunities or threats to a client.

Thanks.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I have been following a few stories that have interested me such as the Disney Comcast battle, the takeover of GKN and the Pret acquisition because I like to understand why these deals were done (eg- increasing competition by online platforms like Netflix) and the different strategies (share purchase or asset purchase, bids fuelled by debt etc) used.

Is it appropriate to use these as examples to speak about the impact on a firm from a news story that I am interested in?
    Some factors I could speak about are how a similar deal could bring in business for the firm from employing different departments as finance and corporate or how that deal could create opportunities or threats to a client.

Thanks.

Definitely - they are great examples.

anf1811

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Apr 6, 2018
    Hi I was just wondering the best source to read about the specific strategies behind these kind of deals, I currently as just using the FT and BBC for commercial awareness and was wondering if these go in-depth enough on the specifics (eg types of financing)

Coralin96

Valued Member
    Early Bird
    Feb 28, 2018
    Hi I was just wondering the best source to read about the specific strategies behind these kind of deals, I currently as just using the FT and BBC for commercial awareness and was wondering if these go in-depth enough on the specifics (eg types of financing)

I usually start with the FT and then follow any links they have referring to previous articles they have on the same story. That's quite a good way to get a better background on strategy.

If I'm writing about the topic for an application, then I'll usually Google the deal to get a more rounded idea of what happened. Opinion pieces are quite good for that (including the Lex section of the FT).

anf1811

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Apr 6, 2018
    I usually start with the FT and then follow any links they have referring to previous articles they have on the same story. That's quite a good way to get a better background on strategy.

If I'm writing about the topic for an application, then I'll usually Google the deal to get a more rounded idea of what happened. Opinion pieces are quite good for that (including the Lex section of the FT).
    Thanks!

MightyMoe

Star Member
    Feb 28, 2018

I would also add The Economist. They sometimes do in-depth pieces when it's a large M&A transaction. It can be useful when they bring in other perspectives beyond just business.

Nky_lawstudent

Standard Member
    Aug 19, 2018
    Subscribe to FT Due Diligence News Letter (thou its premium subscription)! I find just reading FT quite hard (technical financial knowledge), but DD newsletter help breaks things up!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: H and Jaxkw

aaron22

Feb 28, 2018
    If anyone listens to podcast, there are some great ones for commercial awareness, including: The Economist (Radio/The Week Ahead/Editor's Picks), The FT (News/Alphachat/Banking Weekly/World Weekly/The Big Read/Politics), BBC Global News Podcast, BBC 4 Six O' Clock News, Bloomberg Opinion: Masters in Business, Bloomberg Markets: Deal of the Week, JP Morgan Insights, BBC World Service: World Business Report, BBC Radio: World of Business

Some of the recommendations came from here a while back.

Yesss before you ask I listen to too many podcasts!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: H, Salma and Maria Ivanova

anf1811

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Apr 6, 2018
    Subscribe to FT Due Diligence News Letter (thou its premium subscription)! I find just reading FT quite hard (technical financial knowledge), but DD newsletter help breaks things up!
    Thanks, its a shame that Lex and the DD Newsletter are premium, from what I gather they're the most useful parts. Do you know of any free alternatives?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I've posted this in the Writers' Forum and thought it may be worth sharing here.

If we're talking current news topics, I would say students should have at least a surface level knowledge of the following topics:
    • Trump's trade war (versus China and his efforts re-negotiating global trade agreements)
    • The US/UK raising interest rates
    • Saudi Aramco's flotation
    • Brexit
    • Sainsbury's-Asda merger
    • The future of the legal profession/legal technology
    • Data privacy and GDPR
    I've heard most of these questions being asked at interviews in some form. (There are other topics too including cryptocurrencies/regulation of tech/law firm IPOs/emerging economies/financial crisis, which are worth considering.)

Nky_lawstudent

Standard Member
    Aug 19, 2018
    Bloomberg Opinion, NY Times Deal Book newsletter
    about the subscription at FT, check with your uni, I recall my uni actually provide free ones to students. If you really want to read Lex and DD, u can keep the newsletter function even if you discontinue your sub later.
    Thanks, its a shame that Lex and the DD Newsletter are premium, from what I gather they're the most useful parts. Do you know of any free alternatives?

• ℹ️
    Reactions: H, Nicole and Salma

Mohanjith

Jul 28, 2018
    In relation to podcasts, I have found Behind the Money by the FT and BBC's 'Wake up to money' to be quite useful. They provide relatively simpler explanations without neglecting important details.

Following firms on Twitter or on other social media also helps to stay updated with the firm's business. It directs the way for a wider reading of similar deals etc. for more 'firm focused' commercial awareness.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.