Conflicting date

Gunner07

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 12, 2018
Hi all,

Just wondering if someone who has been in a similar situation help me.

I previously booked an assessment centre slot with Walker Morris. But only found out today that Travers Smith also wish to interview me. However, it is at the same date and time as my assessment centre.

has anyone dealt with something similar?

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi all,

Just wondering if someone who has been in a similar situation help me.

I previously booked an assessment centre slot with Walker Morris. But only found out today that Travers Smith also wish to interview me. However, it is at the same date and time as my assessment centre.

has anyone dealt with something similar?
    Yeah this happened with me last year with Travers and it was very easy to switch my interview slot to the following week so I wouldn't worry!

Reactions: Holly

Holly

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Nov 23, 2019
    Also - if you have any tips at all for the Travers interview that you think might be useful that’d be really helpful 😊

I did their interview three cycles ago so not sure how useful I’ll be. I was asked why law and why travers and asked quite a few personality questions like how would my friends describe me in three words. Also spoke about my university modules - what I liked most and least. We also spoke about big news at the time so I recommend doing the equivalent for today which may be Covid/regulation of big tech etc

Good luck!!

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Also - if you have any tips at all for the Travers interview that you think might be useful that’d be really helpful 😊
    The Travers interview is pretty unusual tbh in that you get asked a lot of debate-style questions and challenged on your views and so it is quite hard to prepare for e.g. what do you think of companies like Apple and Google saving billions of dollars on tax per year through tax avoidance techniques? Do you think it is right that they do that? Why?

My advice for this part is to pick a side and then defend your position rather than staying on the fence - that's what let me down as I tried to balance both arguments rather than just going for one and having a proper debate with it.

I also got asked the standard why law, why Travers, which firms would you say are most similar to Travers, why did you study a non-law subject at university, what do you like about it etc.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: djqb

Holly

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Nov 23, 2019
    The Travers interview is pretty unusual tbh in that you get asked a lot of debate-style questions and challenged on your views and so it is quite hard to prepare for e.g. what do you think of companies like Apple and Google saving billions of dollars on tax per year through tax avoidance techniques? Do you think it is right that they do that? Why?

My advice for this part is to pick a side and then defend your position rather than staying on the fence - that's what let me down as I tried to balance both arguments rather than just going for one and having a proper debate with it.

I also got asked the standard why law, why Travers, which firms would you say are most similar to Travers, why did you study a non-law subject at university, what do you like about it etc.

Hope that helps!

That reminds I had a debate about the pros and cons of social media.. went on for ages! So yeah I didn’t prepare for that 😂

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Gunner07

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 12, 2018
    I did their interview three cycles ago so not sure how useful I’ll be. I was asked why law and why travers and asked quite a few personality questions like how would my friends describe me in three words. Also spoke about my university modules - what I liked most and least. We also spoke about big news at the time so I recommend doing the equivalent for today which may be Covid/regulation of big tech etc

Good luck!!
    This is so helpful! Thank you so much☺️

Gunner07

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 12, 2018

Hope that helps!
    So helpful thanks so much!!😊 would you say its debates around current affairs? Or just can be on anything at all?

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    (This isn't in answer to your question but) I did the Walker Morris assessment centre last year - make sure you speak up in the group activity. My group allowed somebody to dominate (because she was a strong character and a paralegal with the firm) and we really suffered because of it (her idea wasn't really very good). My feedback was that I should have challenged her ideas (politely, obviously), trusted my instincts and been more assertive. The firm really likes strong personalities, so if you end up in a similar situation then just make sure that you don't sacrifice yours in the pursuit of the group getting along.

Reactions: Tabitha Johnston

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.