Confused person, who wishes to achieve his dreams

KHCR

May 22, 2022
Hello Guys!

Firstly, thank you to the team of TCLA for starting a wonderful online platform to connect people around the world to help them reach success in LAW.

Secondly, a brief about me, I'm an engineering student from India, studying master's in management at UCL. When I moved to the UK, I thought similar to all other business graduates, complete a master's, apply for a job in either consulting or investment banking. However, when I came to the UK, I heard people complaining about their jobs, that they are not satisfied with their job and don't like them. And this moment, a big question struck me, am I going to be happy with my work? That question stumped all my career plans because I didn't want to do a job where I was not satisfied. (No offence to other people, but I think people can only give their fullest if they like and enjoy what they are doing.)

So, with the question in mind, what is the job that I want the most and which job will I be satisfied with? I started to look for various jobs in various sectors. And at last, I came up across careers in Law and began to explore and over time, I began to like it. So, I decided to pursue a career in Law.

Thirdly, my big question, so, I have got down a timeline regarding my career shift into the Law. But, I have a blank left to fill in my timeline and planning, which is the two-year wait time before we start our trainee contract.

Timeline:
September 2022 - Complete postgrad

September 2022 to July 2023 - Apply for Vacation Schemes and Trainee Contracts while working. (Assuming that I secure a trainee contract for 2025)

September 2022 to July 2024 -The big question - What job to do so that I can maximize my chances and make it look good on my CV so that it can maximize my chances of securing a trainee contract? (I'm going to work, and specifically, I'm planning to work in law firms so that I can learn about the firm and make sure that I'm comfortable with the firm culture, vision and goals.) This is the big, leading question I'm struggling with.

If you suggest law firms, which type of job I should do in a law firm so that it would improve my chances and look clean on my CV, or should I work in any other firm? I have thought about the option of being a paralegal, but I can't go for it because law firms won't sponsor visas for a paralegal job. So, to be in the UK and improve my chances and becoming a lawyer, I must stay in the UK. So, I've to get a job in a firm where that sponsor visa to remain in the UK (after the postgrad work visa). But, as I mentioned earlier, I'm not sure if I should go for a job in a law firm(Sectors I'm looking at jobs in the law firms: Business development, marketing, or personal assistant) or lookout for jobs in other firms rather than Law.

March/September 2025 - Start Trainee Contract.

Lastly, thank you for your valuable advice in advance.

Reactions: Jaysen

LEL

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 22, 2020
Hey, welcome to the forum :)

As a non-law student, if your goal is to secure the training contract between 2022-23, with a 2025 start, in the two year period you have in between, you're required to complete a law degree ((P)GDL) and a course to follow (LPC/SQE).

If you secure a training contract with a firm, your firm will put you through these courses, pay the fees and provide you with a maintenance grant while you study. Alternatively, if you do not secure a training contract, you can self-fund these courses.

So to answer your question, given that you'll be studying for a period of two years, your time available for a job will be limited, though you may be able to paralegal during your time off.

I know things may be more complicated with a visa etc., so hopefully someone else can clarify these points further.

KHCR

May 22, 2022
Hello LEL!

It looks like a lot has to be done during those two years, and I realise that working and studying something I have not learned my whole life (LAW) simultaneously might be too much. And I have a small follow-up question regarding the course, would the PGDL be an online course or an in-person course at the University. Because by the time I get into the PGDL, my VISA might expire. So, if it's an in-person, would the firms sponsor any VISA if I'm working as a paralegal with them, or do I have to go back to India(as my VISA expires) and then complete the course online and come back at the time of the start of my trainee contract?

I might be overthinking. But I want to make sure how it goes to tune in accordingly.

And thank you so much for your time and feedback.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello LEL!

It looks like a lot has to be done during those two years, and I realise that working and studying something I have not learned my whole life (LAW) simultaneously might be too much. And I have a small follow-up question regarding the course, would the PGDL be an online course or an in-person course at the University. Because by the time I get into the PGDL, my VISA might expire. So, if it's an in-person, would the firms sponsor any VISA if I'm working as a paralegal with them, or do I have to go back to India(as my VISA expires) and then complete the course online and come back at the time of the start of my trainee contract?

I might be overthinking. But I want to make sure how it goes to tune in accordingly.

And thank you so much for your time and feedback.
Hi @KHCR - welcome to the forums!

You would be entitled to get another student visa whilst studying the PGDL, so you wouldn't have to worry about returning to India if you did go on to study a recognised course.

You may also be entitled to stay in the UK on a graduate visa or high potential individual visa too if you chose to study more informally or chose to work instead - both of those would give you the right to stay in the UK for two years beyond graduation and you could work in any role during that time (or choose not to work at all).

Reactions: AvniD

KHCR

May 22, 2022
Sorry for the late replies, Jessica.

Ya, I agree with you. As I have a visa, I can work or stay entirely focused on my application for the next two years. But, I think it would be a great idea to work. Because I've been changing my careers since the beginning, I did engineering in my undergrad and postgrad in business, and now I want to work as a lawyer. I feel like it doesn't look that great on my CV, So I plan to work and apply for the trainee contracts simultaneously.

Thank you for your time.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.