Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hello everyone! I have just completed my first vacation scheme, and TCLA helped me prepare massively. Although I don't know the outcome yet, I thought I would mention some things I wish I knew/takeaways/my thoughts.

1) I read a fantastic article by Jayson, and I actually wrote it down on the back of my notepad and read it every morning. It said, 'do the things you'd be proud of regardless of if you got the scheme'. I tried to implement this, even just introducing myself when I felt nervous. This mantra was amazing at pushing me out of my comfort zone. Mindset is so important. I went in with the view that it wasn't the outcome, it was what I learned/gave and I was really proud of myself.
    2) Your supervisor/buddy most likely won't be in the office every day. This can be difficult! You can feel like a spare part at times, and you don't want to bother them. I overcame this by asking other people in my team if they had any work, and when they emailed me it, they 'CC'd' my supervisor. They then knew I was working but could also email me if they needed anything.
    3) You sometimes might not have a lot to do. This can depend massively on the team you are in and can be difficult. I would recommend it here, being really keen and just showing you will help will anything. Even if it is an admin task, mention how you enjoyed XYZ or practising your attention to detail.
    4) Vac schemes are so draining, especially being in-person every day when you are not used to it. I would definitely recommend trying to sleep 8 hours and not worrying about leaving socials early!
    5) Try and add value where you can. This is difficult, but in each task, I tried to think about how I could be useful. Also, think about how you present information to people in emails. I always used subtitles, headings, bold etc. to make it clear.
    6) Asking questions really does show your interest and also it can lead naturally to conversations.
    7) If you're worried about what the tasks will be like, forage is AMAZING. I did a few of the virtual internships, and picked tasks I was weak at, e.g. S&M has a proofreading exercise.
    8) Be yourself!
    9) Make an effort with other people in the team, not just seniors, e.g. PA. You can actually get a great insight.
    10) Be enthusiastic.

I am not an expert but good luck to everyone with vac schemes this summer!

Love this - thank you very much for sharing!

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hello everyone! I have just completed my first vacation scheme, and TCLA helped me prepare massively. Although I don't know the outcome yet, I thought I would mention some things I wish I knew/takeaways/my thoughts.

1) I read a fantastic article by Jayson, and I actually wrote it down on the back of my notepad and read it every morning. It said, 'do the things you'd be proud of regardless of if you got the scheme'. I tried to implement this, even just introducing myself when I felt nervous. This mantra was amazing at pushing me out of my comfort zone. Mindset is so important. I went in with the view that it wasn't the outcome, it was what I learned/gave and I was really proud of myself.
    2) Your supervisor/buddy most likely won't be in the office every day. This can be difficult! You can feel like a spare part at times, and you don't want to bother them. I overcame this by asking other people in my team if they had any work, and when they emailed me it, they 'CC'd' my supervisor. They then knew I was working but could also email me if they needed anything.
    3) You sometimes might not have a lot to do. This can depend massively on the team you are in and can be difficult. I would recommend it here, being really keen and just showing you will help will anything. Even if it is an admin task, mention how you enjoyed XYZ or practising your attention to detail.
    4) Vac schemes are so draining, especially being in-person every day when you are not used to it. I would definitely recommend trying to sleep 8 hours and not worrying about leaving socials early!
    5) Try and add value where you can. This is difficult, but in each task, I tried to think about how I could be useful. Also, think about how you present information to people in emails. I always used subtitles, headings, bold etc. to make it clear.
    6) Asking questions really does show your interest and also it can lead naturally to conversations.
    7) If you're worried about what the tasks will be like, forage is AMAZING. I did a few of the virtual internships, and picked tasks I was weak at, e.g. S&M has a proofreading exercise.
    8) Be yourself!
    9) Make an effort with other people in the team, not just seniors, e.g. PA. You can actually get a great insight.
    10) Be enthusiastic.

I am not an expert but good luck to everyone with vac schemes this summer!
    @manchester12 thank you so much for sharing this! Your ability to reflect on your experiences and pick out what stood out the most is fantastic- this will hold you in great stead as a commercial lawyer and beyond!

mailer

Standard Member
    Feb 2, 2022
    Hi everyone! I recently signed my TC with an international firm in London after a fantastic VS. While I haven't been active on here, TCLA has been invaluable to me, so I hope to pay that forward in a small way by sharing my key takeaways.

Attitude
    • Whether the firm likes you as a person is very important. Ultimately, they are hiring future colleagues who, given the hours, they will be working closely with for long periods of time. You should therefore be yourself, make jokes if that comes naturally to you, and try not to talk too much about work outside of the office, such as at dinners/socials.
    • You can teach trainees how to do the work but you can’t teach them to be engaged and enthusiastic.
    Coffees
    • You should reach out to people outside of your immediate team to learn more about the firm and its work, this demonstrates the engagement and enthusiasm from above. However, be wary of scheduling too many coffees. I think it is important to ask yourself what you are getting from your meeting, such as not scheduling meetings with multiple people from one team.
    • I was nervous about not having intelligent questions to ask, so the bulk of my VS prep was making a whole bank of potential questions! This was completely unnecessary. Trust yourself that questions will come up naturally through the flow of conversations.
    Trainee Buddy
    • If you have one, make the most of your trainee buddy. They have likely been in your shoes and will be more than happy to have regular chats and check/give advice on your work, if permitted on your VS.
    Disclaimer
    • Doing good work remains a given, but if you got through to the VS you clearly have the ability to do good work.
    • This is my personal experience, having only done one VS, so may be very firm-specific. That said, my experience is testament to that it ultimately only takes one to get a TC!

Last edited:

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hi everyone! I recently signed my TC with an international firm in London after a fantastic VS. While I haven't been active on here, TCLA has been invaluable to me, so I hope to pay that forward in a small way by sharing my key takeaways.

Attitude
    • Whether the firm likes you as a person is very important. Ultimately, they are hiring future colleagues who, given the hours, they will be working closely with for long periods of time. You should therefore be yourself, make jokes if that comes naturally to you, and try not to talk too much about work outside of the office, such as at dinners/socials.
    • You can teach trainees how to do the work but you can’t teach them to be engaged and enthusiastic.
    Coffees
    • You should reach out to people outside of your immediate team to learn more about the firm and its work, this demonstrates the engagement and enthusiasm from above. However, be wary of scheduling too many coffees. I think it is important to ask yourself what you are getting from your meeting, such as not scheduling meetings with multiple people from one team.
    • I was nervous about not having intelligent questions to ask, so the bulk of my VS prep was making a whole bank of potential questions! This was completely unnecessary. Trust yourself that questions will come up naturally through the flow of conversations.
    Trainee Buddy
    • If you have one, make the most of your trainee buddy. They have likely been in your shoes and will be more than happy to have regular chats and check/give advice on your work, if permitted on your VS.
    Disclaimer
    • Doing good work remains a given, but if you got through to the VS you clearly have the ability to do good work.
    • This is my personal experience, having only done one VS, so may be very firm-specific. That said, my experience is testament to that it ultimately only takes one to get a TC!
    @mailer massive congratulations on securing a TC! This post is so informative and you're clearly adept at reflecting on your journey and extracting value from it- this so commendable! We hope that you'll join the Junior Lawyers' Community and continue your association with TCLA beyond securing your TC- we'd love to keep hearing from you! 😊

Reactions: Jessica Booker

BBsharkk

Standard Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 13, 2022
    I know this is an old thread but I really want to get @James Carrabino and @Jessica Booker's advice and view on this from both the applicant and a grad rec perspective:

Should I ever mention about my failed Vac Scheme in my following applications both in the work experience section and in the main questions?

The reason I ask is because the Vac Scheme I had is most likely going to be the closest experience I am going to get in terms of understanding the work of a trainee in a city law firm. Should I therefore rely heavily on this experience in future applications?

It would be great if other members who were in the same shoes can share their thoughts as well.
    Thanks in advance!

Reactions: stone’sthrow

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.