Coronavirus - Impact on Application Cycle?

Lumree

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Highest Rated Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    yes - also a possibility.

where they can, people seem to be moving online though. It will depend on how quickly they can move and also how it impacts resource within the team.

Reassuring to know they aren’t just flat out cancelling this cycle - at least not yet anyway!

Reactions: Shaz

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Reassuring to know they aren’t just flat out cancelling this cycle - at least not yet anyway!

Law firms are kept busy in either times of boom or times of bust.

Also they benefit from recruiting two-three years in advance. Scrapping this recruitment cycle completely could leave them short at a time when they will need people (2022-3 could be a boom year).

This very much feels like the 2008-09 cycle all over again. It was an incredibly tough year but we got through it and still recruited people.

Everyone just needs to be even more super aware that you hearing back on your application is way down the bottom of an ever increasing priority list. Firms will need to be focusing on their current staff more as it stands and ensuring they are putting efforts into adapting everything they do.

Patience is definitely going to be a virtue - which I know will be even more difficult if everyone has a lot more time on their hands at home!

cgs97

Star Member
    Mar 15, 2020
    I got an email from Simons Muirhead & Burton saying that they're not doing a summer vac scheme this year due to the outbreak.

I was going to apply to Faegre Drinker, who's deadline in on the 31st March, but I'm unsure if I should now, in case I spend lots of time on an application, only for them to cancel the vac scheme?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.