Law_Grad1

Star Member
Oct 12, 2018
Hi all,

I attended the webinar for Crowell & Moring yesterday regarding their new training contract program and thought it might be helpful for others who hadn't heard about it / weren't able to make the webinar to do a quick write up of some notes I took. This is by no means exhaustive, as I just noted the things I personally felt I would benefit by knowing. (If anyone else was in attendance and wants to build on this / bounce application ideas off one another feel free to add below!)

Future Trainees Website: https://www.crowelltrainees.co.uk/

Background

Crowell was formed in 1979 in Washington D.C. on the back of a large team of lawyers leaving another D.C. firm, Jones Day. Since their inception, the focus of the firm has been to "do law better" and focus on building and maintaining a strong internal culture where, according to the London managing partner "we take our work and our clients at the highest seriousness, but we try and make sure we do not take ourselves seriously".

Globally, clients include roughly one-third of the Fortune 500, and including names like Scuderia Ferrari, Shell, Marriott, and Amazon.

Having had a London office since 1991, it the firm clearly seems to have a solid presence in the City and has no plans to up-and-quit any time soon. In fact, it seems that (aside from the fact that they are starting their training contract) they are trying to actively grow the office. The firm has set a soft target of roughly 100 professionals in the next 5 years. Currently, there are roughly 30 professionals in the office, with about 20 of those being lawyers.

Core Strengths

The firm is most well known in the U.S for it's litigation/trial (with a very respectable arbitration practice) and government contracts work, but the key areas covered are as follows:

• Litigation & Trial (This is the firm's biggest practice area)
  • Regulatory & Policy
  • Transactions
  • Government Contracts (This practice is very much a U.S. based one and doesn't tend to filter out much to int'l offices)
  • Energy
  • Investigations (This is mostly focused on Antitrust / Competition Law investigations
C&M London

The London office has a strong footing in the City and is currently the fastest growing of all the C&M offices. The culture is very much focused on people making a point to get to know one another and the policy is incredibly pro-open-door.

In terms of the work undertaken by the firm, a lot of the work streams come through emerging markets and the firm is actively investing in its presence in new and rapidly developing areas of law like cyber-security, data breach etc.). Although the firm covers a range of markets and sectors, and all can find their niche at C&M, it seems to be that if (like me) you love a firm with a good litigation practice, that you are definitely encouraged to apply. As mentioned, this seems to be the flagship practice globally. Additionally, the firm is investing in its corporate practice, and has taken on new banking & finance partners recently.

Out of 20 lawyers, there are about 10 partners and a lot of fairly senior associates so it seems the leverage for those who would seek to want quick exposure to senior legal professionals (& responsibility) is definitely there. The firm also made a point of noting that there is a strong crossover between practices and that you will regularly have to work with colleagues from different sectors/practices/offices.

• NB: when asked about the firm's USP by one of the participants, the answer was unequivocal: the unique culture that they offer as opposed to other 'biglaw' firms.
The Training Contract

Much like it's origin story, the C&M training contract will be non-rotational, with the strong possibility of both client secondments (assuming the high chance of business need comes about) and a secondment to the Brussels office (with whom the London office works very closely and regularly).

The TC is focused on freedom and responsibility and you will be expected to source your own work from a range of partners (it's hoped that you will work with everyone during your TC). The firm invests heavily in training and professional development for all lawyers and will happily listen to new ideas for how training can be improved (or any new courses etc.). It definitely seems that the firm will be working closely with trainees to support them.

• 1st Year Salary: £45,000
  • NQ Salary: £84,000
The Firm is Looking For

• Ambition / Drive / Determination / Resilience (Good example at interview would be a time something didn't go to plan / you were out of your comfort zone).
  • Proactive (You will be expected to plan for the unexpected - a time you seized the initiative?)
  • Strategic Thinker (A place where you could use an academic example of thinking logically / clearly etc.)
  • Commercial Awareness / Motivation (how do you keep up with news? what do you understand about the world of news?)
  • Strong Team Players
  • Someone who is willing to seize opportunities (particularly those not directly related to work, such as D&I and pro bono opportunities)
  • Sense of Humour (again, take your work seriously, not yourself).
Lydia Taylor (Counsel): Focused her talk on the sense of community she felt having joined C&M just 18 months ago as an associate and having already been made up to partner. She feels a lot of trust from senior management and that the London office definitely punches above its weight.

Seye Olufunwa (Associate): Also a recent joiner (c. 12 months ago) enjoys the fact that he has a very close relationship with his colleagues and has been regularly able to meet his international colleagues in person through the firm investing heavily in firm-wide networking and social events and client events. The culture is described as "democratic" and one where investment in staff is paramount.

Extras

• Diversity & Inclusion and Pro Bono are huge parts of the culture. The firm has its own dedicated pro bono partner in the States (I think they said D.C. but could have been New York).
  • The firm has a dedicated innovation team and is constantly trying to develop itself to keep up with developments in business, law and legal practice.
  • This is NOT a one-off opportunity, there is a plan for organic growth in London and that starts with a long-term TC offering.
  • The pandemic does not seem to have impacted financials that much (unsurprising given strengths in counter-cyclical practice such as litigation) and in fact July was a better month for the firm financially than January.

CAVEATS

• The firm doesn't offer Tier 2 sponsorship and you must be able to have an independent right to remain/work in the U.K.
  • To join in January 2021 (1st intake) you must have already completed the LPC by the time you start your TC.
  • No word on whether LPC sponsorship will take place in the future, but future cycles will include vacation schemes at the firm (due to obvious circumstances and the quick turnaround on this cycle, this wasn't a possibility).
Summary:

If you want to work for a U.S. law firm, with a uniquely friendly culture, and an excellent international litigation practice (among other things) then this firm seems like one to watch! I'm unfortunately barred from this cycle as I've not yet done my LPC, but will definitely be watching updates on the future cycle.

Hope this helps anyone looking for some more info!

syw

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • May 29, 2019
    This is very useful thank you!! Did they happen to mention details about the application process. I.e Whether they like the submitted CV in bullet point style etc?

TChopeful2021

Distinguished Member
    Mar 21, 2020
    This is very useful thank you!! Did they happen to mention details about the application process. I.e Whether they like the submitted CV in bullet point style etc?

https://www.crowelltrainees.co.uk/webinars/

They actually have another event today which you can still register for to ask (I did an hour ago and they got back to me within a few minutes so I assume it's not too late).

Law_Grad1

Star Member
    Oct 12, 2018

Hi! I'd be fooling you if I said I knew for sure, as they didn't specify on a particular CV style / nobody asked.

That said, I think the standard legal CV format (bullet point, legal / non - legal / extra curriculars etc.) should be fine.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

CV should always be bullet style for law firms.

Biggest question here should be whether the CV should be one or two pages, given they are a US firm.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    two or three sides sides of A4

Never more than 2 no matter who the firm is.

Generally US firms are used to 2 page CV for UK vacancies. 1 page CVs tend to be if you are applying in the US. Therefore a firm who is new to the UK market, maybe go for a 1 pager

If your CV fits well on one page though - go for it. Its better to have one well structured, concise page than 2 pages of bulked out CV due to formatting and waffle.

Reactions: Alice G

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    3 minutes, which I guess isn't huge in the grand scheme of things, just much longer than the 1-2 mins people usually give in video interviews.

I wouldn't get too worried if your answers are only around 2 minutes - as long as you are answering the question. 3 minutes will fly by for many though!

Reactions: Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    If you have answered the question directly and you are happy with your points and how well you have discussed and analysed the question in under 3 minutes then do just skip to the next one.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: sa17

C.C

Premium Member
    Oct 27, 2020
    Hi all,

I know this is an older thread. But I have been invited for the online interview for Crowell and Moring. Does anyone know what type of questions will be asked?

• 🏆
    Reactions: OB

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.