Crushed confidence for TC after poor grades

sm_12345

May 23, 2024
Hi,

I’m a prospective Common Law student at the university of Glasgow. However, I’ve been having some doubts about the chances I have of a successful law career, mainly due to my grades.

In S5, I achieved AACCC in my Highers and haven’t gotten my results yet for the two Highers and two Advanced Highers I’m doing this year.

Though I’ve received an offer from Glasgow (I had mitigating circumstances - lived in a deprived area, worked throughout school, am a young career and did two of their wider access programmes), I’m really not confident at all about my chances of securing a training contract at a London firm. My dream firm is Clifford Chance, and while I understand they don’t have a minimum grade requirement, I’m assuming they still tend to take on applicants with reasonably good grades.

I’m hoping that I can make up for my poor secondary school grades by earning good ones at university, and/or perhaps studying a Masters degree after my undergrad, but I’m really not sure if there’s any point.

I feel under pressure because I’m a Scottish student. Studying Common Law means I’m unable to work in Scotland and I also have offers from Aberdeen and Dundee for joint Common and Scot’s Law courses. Realistically, it would be better for me to go to either of them, because it would mean I could qualify in Scotland and England at the same time. It’s just that Glasgow is easier for me to travel to and is my preferred university over all.

What’s my next step? Do I have a chance with Clifford Chance or any MC firm at all? I’m really unsure what to think or what to do, and my confidence is at an all time low. I’m struggling to think any of my personal skills will be able to aid my in my applications as well - I’m quite poor with interviews, for example.

Any advice at all?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.