CV work experience sections

Emilia Hdsn.

• Aug 3, 2021
    Hi,

I am applying for Firms with CV Applications, however, i was wondering whether you think that i can be automatically rejected if my CV makes one page and a half?

The reason for this length is my work experience section ( i have listed 5 work experiences)

Thank you.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi,

I am applying for Firms with CV Applications, however, i was wondering whether you think that i can be automatically rejected if my CV makes one page and a half?

The reason for this length is my work experience section ( i have listed 5 work experiences)

Thank you.
    No - wouldn’t work on that basis at all.

Reactions: Emilia Hdsn.

IT7

Esteemed Member
  • Jun 23, 2021
    Hi @Jessica Booker I had a question regarding the work experience section. Can I write a certain work experience/internship in my application which hasn't started yet, but will be done prior to the vacation scheme that I am applying to? So it's basically an upcoming work experience, but will be completed before the vacation scheme I am applying to begins.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker I had a question regarding the work experience section. Can I write a certain work experience/internship in my application which hasn't started yet, but will be done prior to the vacation scheme that I am applying to? So it's basically an upcoming work experience, but will be completed before the vacation scheme I am applying to begins.
    You can include it as a heading, but can’t really provide any detail beyond the job title, employer and the expected dates of the internship.

Reactions: IT7

Lawyerwithadream

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 8, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker, I am currently completing the work experience section and the firm reps stated that events could be included as there is no separate events section. I would like to write in prose and was wondering what the structure would be. If you could advise that would be great. Thanks :)

Last edited:
    Reactions: kat_

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker, I am currently completing the work experience section and the firm reps stated that events could be included as there is no separate events section. I would like to write in prose and was wondering what the structure would be. If you could advise that would be great. Thanks :)
    I personally don’t think this is a good idea as events are not work experience. If you have heard this from the graduate recruitment team, then do it though.

It really depends on the nature of the event and how much you inputted into it. If you just listened in, I don’t think there really needs to be much context/detail. If it is something that you had to input into with case studies or exercises, then write in prose what you did.

Lawyerwithadream

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 8, 2019
    I personally don’t think this is a good idea as events are not work experience. If you have heard this from the graduate recruitment team, then do it though.

It really depends on the nature of the event and how much you inputted into it. If you just listened in, I don’t think there really needs to be much context/detail. If it is something that you had to input into with case studies or exercises, then write in prose what you did.
    Thanks a lot Jessica! Thats very helpful :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker I have another application with a section specifically asking about events I've attended - would I just list all events or say anything else? Thanks :)
    You could briefly reference the key things you took from these events (collectively) or state any output from your interactions at the event (eg if there was an interactive exercise, did you personally receive strong feedback/scores etc).

Reactions: Lawyerwithadream

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.