Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    When was your Dechert interview?

January-February 2018

What was it for?

Vacation scheme

Please describe the interview process at Dechert.

First round:

Video interview (short questions on why law/the firm).

Second round:

Approximately 45 min written exercise answering an email from a client then an approximately 45 min group exercise (with 5 others), 5 min to read, 25 min to discuss amongst the group (had to present company profile we were given and choose collectively as a group which 1-2 companies to present to an associate panel acting as a venture capital), 15 min to present (everyone had to speak) and answer a few questions from the panel regarding the choices.

Third round

1 hour interview, some questions on what other firms did you apply to, did you have a strategy when choosing said firms, etc. Second half was based on a fictional acquisition going through the process of who would be involved and technicalities. This was followed by an office tour with a current trainee. Felt formal but friendly at the same time. Everyone was nice and seem engaged.

What advice would you give to future applicants about the Dechert interview?

Read up on current affairs, use PESTLEB, understand how basic transactions such as a merger/acquisition works, relax and be yourself!

Last edited:

Nicole

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Feb 28, 2018
    Dechert vac scheme AC:

This is in two parts since they split up the AC and the interview bit:

AC: nothing really too hard, the written exercise is very much standard stuff and they're pretty much looking just to see if you can write in a structured and clear manner. The group exercise is pretty tough. One thing which I was aware of which others probably weren't is the need to fit in wider commercial knowledge into the group exercise (mine was pitching an investment to a hedge fund board aka the group and then pitching as a group the investment we all agreed on to the interview panel). Also being really clear in how you communicate and of course being a good listener to others was important

Interview: this was really straightforward, one thing which helped was knowing beforehand the fact that they are going to question you a load on your "strategy"
    (what other firms you applied to and why) so having a really coherent and well thought through plan of why XYZ firms helps.

Reactions: Syafiqkay92

Syafiqkay92

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 26, 2018
    Dechert vac scheme AC:

This is in two parts since they split up the AC and the interview bit:

AC: nothing really too hard, the written exercise is very much standard stuff and they're pretty much looking just to see if you can write in a structured and clear manner. The group exercise is pretty tough. One thing which I was aware of which others probably weren't is the need to fit in wider commercial knowledge into the group exercise (mine was pitching an investment to a hedge fund board aka the group and then pitching as a group the investment we all agreed on to the interview panel). Also being really clear in how you communicate and of course being a good listener to others was important

Interview: this was really straightforward, one thing which helped was knowing beforehand the fact that they are going to question you a load on your "strategy"
    (what other firms you applied to and why) so having a really coherent and well thought through plan of why XYZ firms helps.

Hi Nicole

I am wondering if you still remember the application questions for Dechert.

I am currently preparing my application for next year and would be helpful to start thinking of the answers to the questions before the application open later this year.

Thank you.

Regards,
    Syafiq.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi Nicole

I am wondering if you still remember the application questions for Dechert.

I am currently preparing my application for next year and would be helpful to start thinking of the answers to the questions before the application open later this year.

Thank you.

Regards,
    Syafiq.

Here are the vacation scheme questions from Winter this year, although I can't guarantee they will be the same:
    1. Please explain why you want to be a solicitor at Dechert LLP. (250)
    2. Give us examples of when you have demonstrated the skills necessary to become a successful solicitor at Dechert LLP. (250)
    3. Describe a challenge you think you may face as a Trainee Solicitor and detail how you would respond as an individual. (250)
    4. Please state your non-academic activities and interests indicating any positions of responsibility held and any particular achievements you would like to mention. (250)
    5. If applicable, please state any additional information which you think is relevant to your application or which you think has not been covered adequately in this form. (250)

Syafiqkay92

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 26, 2018
    Here are the vacation scheme questions from Winter this year, although I can't guarantee they will be the same:
    1. Please explain why you want to be a solicitor at Dechert LLP. (250)
    2. Give us examples of when you have demonstrated the skills necessary to become a successful solicitor at Dechert LLP. (250)
    3. Describe a challenge you think you may face as a Trainee Solicitor and detail how you would respond as an individual. (250)
    4. Please state your non-academic activities and interests indicating any positions of responsibility held and any particular achievements you would like to mention. (250)
    5. If applicable, please state any additional information which you think is relevant to your application or which you think has not been covered adequately in this form. (250)

Thanks Jaysen. This is brilliant.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.