Deferring TC start date?

CJ

Aug 6, 2020
Hi all, I have a training contract set to begin in Spring 2022 (after GDL and LPC, with a three month gap in between). When offered the TC in late 2019 my firm gave me the choice between a Spring or Autumn 2022 start.

I am starting to regret my choice as I strongly want to improve my language skills abroad before the TC starts, and as the LPC requires a month of prep, currently I only have two free months, which still could be disrupted by Covid.

If I ask my firm whether it’s possible to defer my start date will this put me in a disadvantaged position by showing indecision and lack of commitment? I’m concerned it will effectively mean I would become first out of the door if any layoffs are made if Covid worsens.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of situation? I’d really appreciate any thoughts!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi all, I have a training contract set to begin in Spring 2022 (after GDL and LPC, with a three month gap in between). When offered the TC in late 2019 my firm gave me the choice between a Spring or Autumn 2022 start.

I am starting to regret my choice as I strongly want to improve my language skills abroad before the TC starts, and as the LPC requires a month of prep, currently I only have two free months, which still could be disrupted by Covid.

If I ask my firm whether it’s possible to defer my start date will this put me in a disadvantaged position by showing indecision and lack of commitment? I’m concerned it will effectively mean I would become first out of the door if any layoffs are made if Covid worsens.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of situation? I’d really appreciate any thoughts!

It won't put you at a disadvantage - requests to defer just don't work like that. And there wouldn't be any first out of the door in any layoffs were made (if they were, they would be deferring you, not laying you off).

The worst that can happen is they can say no. They could also ask you to defer you to Spring 2023.

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
My only consideration would be how this affects your particular firm's qualification route.

To note, my firm is running LPC entry for 2022, but SQE entry for 2023, which requires an additional 4 months of study as the strict SQE Prep Courses do not cover the additional material required to be "office-ready".

Some food for thought!

• ℹ️
Reactions: Jessica Booker

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Just to add to this, I would look back at your offer letter and the terms and conditions of your contract. It might be that deferrals are mentioned within the terms of your contract and might possibly lay out the circumstances in which you can seek to defer :) This May be more of a formality thing and just a standard term to a TC and the process and grounds to defer may be more relaxed in practice but it might be worth referring to this anyway :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.