Deferring training contract start date

skizzle

Star Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer
Mar 29, 2019
Hi,

I was wondering if there was anyone on this forum who has experience of deferring a TC, particularly because of mental health struggles, mainly depression. I've just started my LPC and it's already been a demanding experience, so I was thinking to ask my firm if I could defer my studies and TC start date because of this. Does anyone know if firms are particularly accommodating on this front? I don't want to risk pre-emptively asking and giving my firm a bad impression of me. Thank you.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
It will really depend on the firm and their individual circumstances. If they do defer your, it might be longer than you’d hope, especially if they can’t fit you into the next intake (for instance if that is already over subscribed).

The best thing is to speak to the firm. It might be that they can offer you more support during the LPC that will make you feel like you don’t need to defer.

Have you got any medical references at this stage to say you’d need to defer?

skizzle

Star Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer
Mar 29, 2019
It will really depend on the firm and their individual circumstances. If they do defer your, it might be longer than you’d hope, especially if they can’t fit you into the next intake (for instance if that is already over subscribed).

The best thing is to speak to the firm. It might be that they can offer you more support during the LPC that will make you feel like you don’t need to defer.

Have you got any medical references at this stage to say you’d need to defer?
Thank you for clarifying. I've started therapy with my uni who have confirmed I have symptoms of depression, so I think I'll ask them if they can provide evidence

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you for clarifying. I've started therapy with my uni who have confirmed I have symptoms of depression, so I think I'll ask them if they can provide evidence
I don’t think the university will be able to provide you with a diagnosis - only a doctor/medical professional will, but your uni might be able to refer you to one.

I would potentially seek a medical reference before asking for the deferral as then you have evidence to back up your reasoning as to why you need it.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.