Developing Client Relationships as a Trainee/Associate

M&ALawyer

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Jul 29, 2019
Hi all,

I am intrigued to understand how as a trainee/associate you can start to build potential client leads in transactional fields.

If you work as lawyer in M&A/PE/Finance is it a case of developing early relationships with a client's junior bankers who progress to become MD's/fund managers in later life (who require legal counsel). Or is it a case of going to professional networking events and seeking out new connections, creating articles + content to market yourself, or establishing a strong reputation/niche in a particular sector. Perhaps it may be all of the above to varying degrees, other activities entirely, or something that comes without much effort?

Appreciate this may be beyond the remit of this forum given its focus is on applying to law firms, and I understand it's certainly not a priority for trainees/junior associates, but any thoughts/resources would be very welcome! I get the impression that starting out early could be a great way to climb the ranks, and if theres anything I could be doing in the near future I would be really interested to know!

Thanks

Last edited:

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.