Direct TC

John Doe 555 333

Gold Member
Premium Member
May 17, 2022
Hey guys,

I hope you're all doing well.

I have a bit of a dilemma. There are several firms that I would be interested in applying for, but I am unsure about the recruitment process. Namely, all the firms nominally offer a direct TC route, but I am unclear as to whether they open up that route purely if they haven't found enough trainees from their VC, or whether it exists as a viable alternative option. The firms in question are:

- Vinson and Elkins
- Cleary Gottlieb
- Latham and Watkins
- Milbank
- Akin Gump

I am asking this simply to see whether it's worth applying and going through the process of writing the application.

Thanks a lot.

Reactions: George Maxwell

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
Hey guys,

I have a bit of a dilemma. There are several firms that I would be interested in applying for, but I am unsure about the recruitment process. Namely, all the firms nominally offer a direct TC route, but I am unclear as to whether they open up that route purely if they haven't found enough trainees from their VC, or whether it exists as a viable alternative option. The firms in question are:

- Vinson and Elkins
- Cleary Gottlieb
- Latham and Watkins
- Milbank
- Akin Gump

I am asking this simply to see whether it's worth applying and going through the process of writing the application.

Thanks a lot.
Hey @John Doe 555 333,

The only firm that I can give an insight into is Akin Gump. I completed their vacation scheme in 2021 (and think they are an awesome firm - I really had the best experience there). My understanding is that the firm looks to recruit all future trainees from its vacation scheme. However, there were quite a few spaces that remained after, and I know at least one person who was recruited via the direct TC route!

I am sure others will be able to give you an insight on the other firms. For what it's worth, if these are the firms that particularly interest you, I think it is still worth applying rather than trying to estimate your likelihood of success.

Very happy to help with any other questions that you might have 🚀

LEL

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 22, 2020
Hey, I can give insight on Latham & Watkins :) I completed a Spring scheme with the firm, and while most trainees come from the vac schemes, I spoke to at least 2 trainees who were successful through the direct TC route. So definitely apply!

I know they are conducting TC interviews in the coming weeks, so try to get your application in sooner rather than later.

Happy to answer any other Latham-related questions!

DTB

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 21, 2019
    Hey guys,

- Vinson and Elkins
    - Cleary Gottlieb
    - Latham and Watkins
    - Milbank
    - Akin Gump

Thanks a lot.
    I was wondering the same! I heard from some people that these US firms usually only open the TC route as a formality. Though @George Maxwell and @LEL have said they have heard of people recruited directly from TC, I am wondering if this is an exception rather than the norm? I assume they may not recruit a lot from direct TC's. Wondering if @Jessica Booker would have any insight?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I was wondering the same! I heard from some people that these US firms usually only open the TC route as a formality. Though @George Maxwell and @LEL have said they have heard of people recruited directly from TC, I am wondering if this is an exception rather than the norm? I assume they may not recruit a lot from direct TC's. Wondering if @Jessica Booker would have any insight?
    I wouldn’t say they open applications as a formality. At worst, they do it if they have to backfill roles they don’t fill off the back of vacation schemes.

The common factor with these firms is none of them are hiring a significant amount of trainees to begin with. That means that direct training contract numbers are going to be very small no matter what once they convert some of their vacation scheme students. But I doubt any firm would open applications if there wasn’t a chance of securing a TC. From looking at Chambers student guide, the following is said:

Vinson and Elkins - “V&E places a great emphasis on its vac scheme, with something like 95% of all trainees completing one prior to joining the firm.”

Cleary Gottlieb - “Cleary recruits nearly all of its trainees through its vacation scheme.” - their profile goes on step further though and suggests the best bet to even secure a vacation scheme is to attend an open day, so I suspect to secure a TC, you may need to have attended one of those open days too.

Latham and Watkins: “on average approximately 70% of its trainees have completed a vacation scheme with the firm.”

Milbank - (no CSG profile)

Akin Gump: 8 to 10 vacation scheme places vs 7 TC spots (could easily only convert 5-6 VS students, and so need to occasionally top up to get to fill their TC places).

Reactions: DTB

DTB

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 21, 2019
    I wouldn’t say they open applications as a formality. At worst, they do it if they have to backfill roles they don’t fill off the back of vacation schemes.

The common factor with these firms is none of them are hiring a significant amount of trainees to begin with. That means that direct training contract numbers are going to be very small no matter what once they convert some of their vacation scheme students. But I doubt any firm would open applications if there wasn’t a chance of securing a TC. From looking at Chambers student guide, the following is said:

Vinson and Elkins - “V&E places a great emphasis on its vac scheme, with something like 95% of all trainees completing one prior to joining the firm.”

Cleary Gottlieb - “Cleary recruits nearly all of its trainees through its vacation scheme.” - their profile goes on step further though and suggests the best bet to even secure a vacation scheme is to attend an open day, so I suspect to secure a TC, you may need to have attended one of those open days too.

Latham and Watkins: “on average approximately 70% of its trainees have completed a vacation scheme with the firm.”

Milbank - (no CSG profile)

Akin Gump: 8 to 10 vacation scheme places vs 7 TC spots (could easily only convert 5-6 VS students, and so need to occasionally top up to get to fill their TC places).
    Thank you so much for this!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.