Extra curricular activities as a post-grad?

cgs97

Star Member
Mar 15, 2020
I graduated in 2019, since then I have done the GDL and I'm now working full time. I don't have as many extra curricular activities now (or while I was doing the GDL) as I did during my undergrad. I do some volunteering, I'm learning how to code and I do a bit of writing for an online magazine, but that's about it at the moment - 45 hour weeks, commuting and applications don't leave me with much free time! I'm aware that extra curricular things should be as recent as possible, but some of my most 'impressive' and enjoyable activities date back to 2017/18 to be honest. I especially feel like I'm 'competing' against undergrads who are actively involved in law societies, sports teams etc.

So my question is, how much should I include from my time at university? And are my current activities enough?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
People misunderstand extra curriculars.

It is not about them having to be recent. It’s about showing you are keeping yourself busy and that you continue to develop a skill set.

You include your activities from university and your current activities / the latter of which you are currently vastly under estimating.

The importance of extra curriculars are only relevant for people who are only studying a degree and have lots of time on their hands compared to someone who is working full time.

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
I would just add to this, I worked part-time throughout university and my extracurriculars were pretty thin. However, I don't feel like I have ever been hindered in the application process because of this. Applications are holistic and everything is taken into account so try not to worry about this. You're doing a great job juggling everything and focus on the things which make you stand out!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I would just add to this, I worked part-time throughout university and my extracurriculars were pretty thin. However, I don't feel like I have ever been hindered in the application process because of this. Applications are holistic and everything is taken into account so try not to worry about this. You're doing a great job juggling everything and focus on the things which make you stand out!

I think people often think the part time job isn’t as important or relevant as an EC. It couldn’t be further from the truth - someone holding down a job that’s more than 8 hours a week is taking at least a day out of their weekly schedule that someone who is just studying doesn’t. That’s what’s really impressive, alongside the skills you will develop in part time jobs.

Reactions: Armiie, Alice G and cgs97

Alison C

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019
    I'm totally with you - I'm pursuing a career change and literally haven't had any 'extra-curricular' activities since I finished university (rather a lot of moons now). It's my least favourite question on the TC form as it's the most obviously ageist.

That said, more experienced applicants are not the dull people that their lack of 'extra-curricular' activities would suggest. Once you are in the workplace, you are not only NOT doing anything 'curricular', but becoming editor of the university psychology magazine is no longer a life goal. You will have a home life, and have interests, and will have travelled, it's just that adult life integrates these rather more than student life.

Try to reframe the question - after all, it's just making sure that you are a proactive, rounded individual, so will (a) be fun to have around and (b) be centred enough to cope with long hours and stressful working at times. If you can step back and see the challenges you've met entering the workplace after university as your new 'extra-curricular's then you should be able to remember that in fact, they are looking for people just like you. Yes, some of your most 'impressive' achievements may indeed be, shock horror, over 2 years ago now, but it was still you who achieved. That thing you feel is impressive needs to be contextualised too. 'I do a bit of coding' could also be unpacked.

Pull out the learning and remember how you have moved on. And remember, the HR team may well have hobbies and interests but they won't be running university clubs any more either so this is a chance to stand out, and to reflect that you are actually looking after yourself in the workplace, as well as developing new skills. Read, think, listen, and you will get hired even if it's not straight away. And good luck!

Last edited:
    • ℹ️
    • 🏆
    Reactions: Armiie, Fran, CMD and 5 others

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    I'm totally with you - I'm pursuing a career change and literally haven't had any 'extra-curricular' activities since I finished university in the early 90s. It's my least favourite question on the TC form as it's the most obviously ageist.

That said, I am not the entirely dull person that my lack of 'extra-curricular' activities would suggest. My issue is more that once you are in the workplace, you are not only not doing anything 'curricular' but becoming editor of the university psychology magazine is no longer a life goal. I do have a home life, and I have interests, and I have travelled, it's just that adult life integrates these rather more than student life.

Try to reframe the question - after all, it's just making sure that you are a proactive, rounded individual, so will (a) be fun to have around and (b) be centred enough to cope with long hours and stressful working at times. If you can step back and see the challenges you've met entering the workplace after university as your new 'extra-curricular's then you should be able to remember that in fact, they are looking for people just like you. Yes, some of your most 'impressive' achievements may indeed be, shock horror, over 2 years ago now, but it was still you who achieved. Pull out the learning and remember how you have moved on. And remember, the HR team may well have hobbies and interests but they won't be running university clubs either so this is a chance to stand out, and to reflect that you are actually looking after yourself too. Read, think, listen, and you will get hired even if it's not straight away. And good luck!
    Absolutely love this post! Thank you so much for sharing this!!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Alison C and Jaysen

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.