How to make successful applications?

emilyding

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 6, 2023
Hi guys,
I have been receiving many rejections for winter vacation schemes. And I am wondering how could I stand out among those very experienced applicants? I am very confused now and I am not sure should I keep applying for spring/summer vacation schemes.

I am a LPC graduate and I don't have much legal work experiences. Unfortunately I could not get any ones as they always require certain level of experiences. So I tried to attend many virtual events from The Legal Cheek, Biucac and Forage.

Could any successful applicants share your experience of getting vacation schemes/ training contract? Like how do you answer "why commercial law" "why you" "why this firm" etc.

I know I am always wanted to study law since I was young due to my father's business background- so I go on study law degree, focusing on commercial law - and that's my story. How could I make it more interesting?

Also, how should I incorporate travel as my hobby/ extra curricular activities into the applications? I always talk about cultural awareness & adaptability - is there any other ways that I could address my hobby?

Really appreciate for any advices!

Apple

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 23, 2023
Any statements you make become much more convincing when you have attached experiences. i.e. having worked at X I realised I thrived in a collaborative environment. Just saying I like it because I find it interesting wont get you far.

Try to build up your experiences, even if it isn't at typically "impressive places". I've received 5 interviews from 9 applications to US, MC and SC firms. In most of those I referenced my experience working at Subway for the application questions! Leverage the experiences you have and try to build them up, volunteering at Citizens Advice is an amazing legal work opportunity.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.