Why do you want to become a commercial lawyer - As a non law student with no legal experience/ events/ opportunities

Dervise2001

Oct 15, 2023
Hey everyone! I just wanted to post a new thread since I am struggling with the question, "why do you want to study commercial law?" As a non-law student, this question is much harder than expected. I do not have any legal experience that could have sparked the interest. I am struggling to answer the "why" without being too generic, such as "I enjoy the intellectually stimulating aspect of commercial law." My degree background is in Psychology, so should I find ways to link them together? I also thought of finding ways to link my work experience of working as a cafe assistant, shop floor assistant, charity volunteer, and tutoring into this answer. However, it was too generic of an answer that had no relevance to commercial law. I have tried to find some books to widen my understanding and use them as part of my application, but I did not find any unique commercial law books.

I would be very grateful for ANY advice on how to tackle this question, coming from a psychology background and as someone who is working to widen their commercial awareness.

• 🤝
Reactions: Runner

Runner

Standard Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jun 9, 2023
Hi Dervise2001,

I too struggled with this question when I was stating out my law application and before securing a TC with a US firm. I studied business management at university and had hardly any legal experience, except for an open day and a diversity scheme with a public legal body. What I was able to pull out was my volunteering work at my university's student conduct and appeals office where I undertook quite a bit of procedural type of justice work. That gave me transferable skills I thought were core to being a lawyer (e.g. document review, witness and evidence analysis, navigating complex procedural rules and regulations etc.). I was then able to leverage this with my interests in commercial law by comparing my past business related experiences (e.g. internships in consultancy). More specifically, I pointed to the fact that I had a lot of project management experience as a student consultant and running a couple student societies. Despite the similarities with consultancy/project management to commercial law in terms of overall business aims (e.g. in a M&A or deals timeline), I nuanced that my motivations and passions were more aligned to the stages where I was helping clients execute on their goals.

Personally, I don't think having lots of legal experience is the key to application success. Rather:
(1) a good understanding of what the target law firm do - what they are well-known for, their practice areas, their achievement publications etc.
(2) how they assist clients achieve goals as opposed to other high level service providers (like accountants, consultants, banks etc) - e.g. in a deal to buy something, what type of advisers does a client instruct and for what purpose? Remember, commercial lawyers are just one feature of that panel of advisers in enabling the success of a deal-making.

Then matching those nuances from your career research to your reasons/motivations for pursuing law. These motivations should always be backed-up with your decision-making process from experience and examples of skills.

If you need any specific advice, feel free to DM me.

I hope all the best with your applications!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.