Why are you interested in a career as a commercial lawyer?: Answer feedback

Mike Wazaoski

Valued Member
Premium Member
Nov 12, 2018
Opening this up to feedback from anyone on the forum:

- I want to make it personal and genuine and this is pretty much the main reason for interest
- Please let me know any feedback

I am interested in a career as a commercial lawyer because it requires application of the law to solve business issues. More interestingly, the law is applied in the context of understanding the client's specific commercial challenge. Today, clients are operating in a challenging world. Responding to this challenge means a good commercial lawyer contextualises their advice by taking into account geo-political, economic, regulatory, environmental and technological factors when assisting clients in achieving business aims. Therefore, commercial lawyers remain adaptive to the world around them when advising clients. The aim is to mitigate risk and maximise business value. This intersection of law and commercial activity was evident in supporting X with a privacy project prior to their IPO listing on the Shanghai Stock Exchange. I provided data privacy advice for the business operating in 50 countries by working with local general counsel. However, China was out of scope due to data localisation issues. The IPO worth $X billion faced multiple hurdles but was motivated by Chinese fears of food security and US-China trade tensions meant the IPO was listed in Shanghai where there are protectionist measures for reducing foreign investor involvement. The combination of data privacy issues, regulatory barriers, US-China geopolitical challenges and understanding the global power struggle is an example of what makes commercial law feel “alive” to me. It ensures I remain engaged in advising clients by understanding the world they operate in to build an advisory relationship.

Reactions: zaynah.c

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I think this is a little too descriptive of what you did, rather than what you enjoyed.

You are also explaining a lot about what a lawyer does rather than why it is specifically of interest to you too.

So it needs a little more about what drives/motivates you, rather than an overview of what lawyers do or the detail of what you have done in the past.

The answer will also need some paragraphs rather than one large paragraph.

Some of my suggested changes are below:

I am interested in a career as a commercial lawyer because it requires application of the law to solve business issues. More interestingly, the law is applied in the context of understanding the client's specific commercial challenge (more specifically needs to be tied to you here, rather than law in general) .

Today, clients are operating in a challenging world. Responding to this challenge means a good commercial lawyer contextualises their advice by taking into account geo-political, economic, regulatory, environmental and technological factors when assisting clients in achieving business aims (rather than what lawyers need, why is this important to you). Therefore, commercial lawyers remain adaptive to the world around them when advising clients. The aim is to mitigate risk and maximise business value (again, this is about what lawyers do, rather than your motivations).

This intersection of law and commercial activity was evident in supporting X with a privacy project prior to their IPO listing on the Shanghai Stock Exchange (needs more upfront clarity this is something you worked on - there is no reference to you in this sentence). I provided data privacy advice for the business operating in 50 countries by working with local general counsel. The combination of data privacy issues, regulatory barriers, US-China geopolitical challenges and understanding the global power struggle made commercial law feel “alive” to me, and I enjoyed building an advisory relationship with clients by understanding the world they operate in.

Reactions: CallumJR

Rainbowergy

Jan 27, 2024
Your example of assisting a company with a privacy project prior to their IPO in Shanghai highlights the practicality of your knowledge and how it's applied in the field. It's evident that you thrive on the dynamic nature of commercial law and its connection to the ever-changing business landscape.
I'm sure your dedication will serve you well in your career as a commercial lawyer.

Last edited:

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.