Failure... want to give up on law?

cmaj

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019
    Hi all,

I've used this forum for a while but never posted on it... now is the time! I just received a rejection from my final law firm for this application season and I feel so crushed and don't know how to move forward from it.

I completed a vacation scheme last summer and was told me I'd been great during the scheme - my teams loved having me, they couldn't believe I was non-law, I'd done really well on all the assessments and my work etc. - and they told me that I MUST go into law. I am a graduate in full time work from a non-law degree and this scheme was three weeks long, sadly leaving me with no annual leave for the rest of 2019 to do a winter scheme or, well, anything.

This application cycle, I started preparing early in July doing my research and stayed late at work every night from September through to January to complete nine vacation scheme applications as best as I could. I spent weeks perfecting them until I didn't think I could do any better. Unfortunately I only had one assessment centre which, due to personal circumstances outside of my control, I could not focus on the day and did not perform very well. All the rest I received PFOs after tests. :(

I've found myself at the point of wanting to give up on law. I'm not sure how to go forward from here as I cannot do the GDL without sponsorship and I feel like I've got all the hard skills they ask for and tell applications they could gain: consistent grades, a range of extracurriculars, technology skills, languages, legal work experience, non-legal work experience, volunteering and charity work, etc... I'm not sure where I'm going wrong as no one has any time to give feedback and it is exasperating, especially after last year! :( I just don't know how to bring myself to put myself through this for a third year.

Has this happened to anyone else? How did you move on? What did you do? Is it worth last minute applying to training contracts?

Thanks all and I hope application season is treating you all better than it is me! :(:(

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Has this happened to anyone else?

Yes, most candidates will be in this position.

How did you move on? What did you do? Work out where you are going wrong, develop yourself, refocus when the time is right

Is it worth last minute applying to training contracts? only if you are applying to firms you truly want to work for

Reactions: Helena

cmaj

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019
    Has this happened to anyone else?

Yes, most candidates will be in this position.

How did you move on? What did you do? Work out where you are going wrong, develop yourself, refocus when the time is right

Is it worth last minute applying to training contracts? only if you are applying to firms you truly want to work for

Thanks so much for reading and for your kind response Jessica! It is so appreciated.

The main problem is working out where I’m going wrong. I don’t know what a ‘good’ application looks like and the only advice I’ve had in the past is to get some more legal work experience... which I did :( All the firms I applied to this year I researched for a long time, went to events with them and knew why I wanted to do law at that particular firm. I’m especially unsure in what I’ve done wrong as I was more successful last year with less experience and what I thought were worse applications! There’s always room for improvement but right now I’m not sure what I should be working on without any feedback

Helena

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    I understand your feelings completely and cycles can be so different from one year to the next. That may be because the firm has deferred candidates from previous cycles so potentially less positions on offer, maybe a scale down in numbers for internal reasons.
    Please don’t think it’s you as the fact that you completed a VS is testament in itself that you have what it takes. I have yet to get that despite having a very successful (in my eyes) cycle last year getting to ACs with 12/15 firms. The journey is tough and 2/3/4 cycles these days is quite the norm.

As Jessica said I think evaluating your apps, getting someone else to look at them, self evaluating ( never easy) to see areas that could be polished further. Believe me you are doing nothing wrong! This is a seriously competitive business but stay in it for the long haul, believing it’s what you want and you will make it. You are not alone in this. Most of us ( I speak for many) are on the second or third cycle . It’s par for the course.
    Ask yourself - do I really want this? If you do , please don’t give up. You clearly have what it takes.
    Believe - seriously. Have faith and move forward with conviction .

NMD

Star Member
    Feb 17, 2019
    It is really difficult, it is great that you are reaching out and speaking about it. Far too often people only talk about the highlight reel of their application season. From what you have said it sounds like you have done yourself really proud in terms of preparation and engagement. I think it is key to reach out to different people who would be willing to critique your work, it is really helpful because we often miss things. That also continues through trying to do mock interviews with friends/ family or on TCLA if you can. You mentioned that this is the first time you have posted- keep going because I have learnt so much from different people on here! It is also important to inform relevant people if you have serious mitigating circumstances- no one is expecting you to be a robot and it should be considered if you raise it. Additionally, utilise all the resources you can if it is applicable- Rare, Aspiring Solicitors, SEO all do great mentoring and structured programmes that might give you the future guidance you need to motivate you through the next year. This happens to plenty of people! You move on through believing in yourself, you can do this, you will do this, it may just take a bit more time than it does for others. Definitely apply for last-minute training contracts if you like the firms- if not you won’t produce the best applications and you will end up feeling even worse! I think so much of the application process is about resilience, you have to bounce back! If you are getting amazing feedback on your VS these are people who know what they are talking about- take those affirmations as motivation. Maybe this just wasn’t your year! But there are bigger and brighter things to come!!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi all,

I've used this forum for a while but never posted on it... now is the time! I just received a rejection from my final law firm for this application season and I feel so crushed and don't know how to move forward from it.

I completed a vacation scheme last summer and was told me I'd been great during the scheme - my teams loved having me, they couldn't believe I was non-law, I'd done really well on all the assessments and my work etc. - and they told me that I MUST go into law. I am a graduate in full time work from a non-law degree and this scheme was three weeks long, sadly leaving me with no annual leave for the rest of 2019 to do a winter scheme or, well, anything.

This application cycle, I started preparing early in July doing my research and stayed late at work every night from September through to January to complete nine vacation scheme applications as best as I could. I spent weeks perfecting them until I didn't think I could do any better. Unfortunately I only had one assessment centre which, due to personal circumstances outside of my control, I could not focus on the day and did not perform very well. All the rest I received PFOs after tests. :(

I've found myself at the point of wanting to give up on law. I'm not sure how to go forward from here as I cannot do the GDL without sponsorship and I feel like I've got all the hard skills they ask for and tell applications they could gain: consistent grades, a range of extracurriculars, technology skills, languages, legal work experience, non-legal work experience, volunteering and charity work, etc... I'm not sure where I'm going wrong as no one has any time to give feedback and it is exasperating, especially after last year! :( I just don't know how to bring myself to put myself through this for a third year.

Has this happened to anyone else? How did you move on? What did you do? Is it worth last minute applying to training contracts?

Thanks all and I hope application season is treating you all better than it is me! :(:(

Sorry to hear you're in this position. It's horrible investing so much time and energy into applications to no success and I know it's hard to know whether to continue or whether you're good enough.

If you've got consistent grades/good extra-curriculars, I would definitely get someone to look over your app, it may just be the case that you're not approaching the application questions correctly. At the same time, due to the competition, there is also a huge amount of luck in this process which is hard to get around aside from persisting/continuing to learn until you meet the right firm at the right time.

As you have a vacation scheme already, you can go for straight TC applications, but if you're having doubts about this whole process you might want to consider just taking some time away from apps and having some breathing room. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

• 🤝
    • 🏆
    Reactions: Lauren2, cmaj, wwood and 6 others

D

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 11, 2018
    Hi all,

There is lots of fabulous advice in this thread.

As you are aware, applications are often the single biggest hurdle applicants must overcome. Thus, they are almost the most important part of the process. After that, you can really look to show off who you are in person and sell yourself to the prospective employers. Jaysen offers a paid application review service. I appreciate that money may be tight for you. I have (with Jaysens blessing) offered to review an application for candidates who have had little success if they PM me them. Drop me a message and I'll have a look. I have had a lot of success this cycle so I'd like to think I can offer some targeted feedback on how to improve your applications.

cmaj

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019
    I took a break this weekend to take my mind off of things and have just come back to this and wow! Thank you all so much. I am so grateful and this has made me feel so much better.

I understand your feelings completely and cycles can be so different from one year to the next. That may be because the firm has deferred candidates from previous cycles so potentially less positions on offer, maybe a scale down in numbers for internal reasons.
    Please don’t think it’s you as the fact that you completed a VS is testament in itself that you have what it takes. I have yet to get that despite having a very successful (in my eyes) cycle last year getting to ACs with 12/15 firms. The journey is tough and 2/3/4 cycles these days is quite the norm.

As Jessica said I think evaluating your apps, getting someone else to look at them, self evaluating ( never easy) to see areas that could be polished further. Believe me you are doing nothing wrong! This is a seriously competitive business but stay in it for the long haul, believing it’s what you want and you will make it. You are not alone in this. Most of us ( I speak for many) are on the second or third cycle . It’s par for the course.
    Ask yourself - do I really want this? If you do , please don’t give up. You clearly have what it takes.
    Believe - seriously. Have faith and move forward with conviction .

Thank you so much - this is ever so kind. I know this is what I want to do so I'm just going to pick myself up, get as much experience as I can over the next few months and have one more crack at it next season. It's so tough after knowing that I was so close last year, but you're so right, I need to remain resilient. I'm so sorry to hear you keep getting so close as well!!! Doesn't it feel awful? But you ahve to do the same - the fact you've got to so many ACs shows that you are capable and will be able to do this. We are in this together! :D

It is really difficult, it is great that you are reaching out and speaking about it. Far too often people only talk about the highlight reel of their application season. From what you have said it sounds like you have done yourself really proud in terms of preparation and engagement. I think it is key to reach out to different people who would be willing to critique your work, it is really helpful because we often miss things. That also continues through trying to do mock interviews with friends/ family or on TCLA if you can. You mentioned that this is the first time you have posted- keep going because I have learnt so much from different people on here! It is also important to inform relevant people if you have serious mitigating circumstances- no one is expecting you to be a robot and it should be considered if you raise it. Additionally, utilise all the resources you can if it is applicable- Rare, Aspiring Solicitors, SEO all do great mentoring and structured programmes that might give you the future guidance you need to motivate you through the next year. This happens to plenty of people! You move on through believing in yourself, you can do this, you will do this, it may just take a bit more time than it does for others. Definitely apply for last-minute training contracts if you like the firms- if not you won’t produce the best applications and you will end up feeling even worse! I think so much of the application process is about resilience, you have to bounce back! If you are getting amazing feedback on your VS these are people who know what they are talking about- take those affirmations as motivation. Maybe this just wasn’t your year! But there are bigger and brighter things to come!!

Again, thank you so much for these kind words, I feel like I want to cry all these comments are so lovely! This is what I found difficult in a way, on this forum it felt like everyone was getting schemes and training contracts and I felt so alone in not being successful this year. I had no idea that people on here even did mock interviews or would critique applications but that would be the biggest help in the world. I'm just trying to view it in the way of one day I will be a solicitor - this year just isn't the year for me for some reason. My previous VS is what's keeping me going through it, I know I am capable, I just need to get past this initial hurdle! I've been doing as many Legal Cheek events as possible but as a grad in full time employment, it's so difficult to get other experience and use services like Aspiring Solicitors :( I have no idea what Rare and SEO are though so I'll look into them too. :)

Sorry to hear you're in this position. It's horrible investing so much time and energy into applications to no success and I know it's hard to know whether to continue or whether you're good enough.

If you've got consistent grades/good extra-curriculars, I would definitely get someone to look over your app, it may just be the case that you're not approaching the application questions correctly. At the same time, due to the competition, there is also a huge amount of luck in this process which is hard to get around aside from persisting/continuing to learn until you meet the right firm at the right time.

As you have a vacation scheme already, you can go for straight TC applications, but if you're having doubts about this whole process you might want to consider just taking some time away from apps and having some breathing room. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Thank you so much Jaysen. This is correct - I put so much time and energy in that it feels awful, but maybe I invested TOO much this time and overdid it...

How do I go about finding people to look over my apps?

I think all of your advice is correct and I'm going to take a break and not apply to TCs as it would likely be a waste of my time. I'm going to see if I can instead apply to a new job and change careers maybe to something with more of a legal aspect to show that I'm more serious...

There is lots of fabulous advice in this thread.

As you are aware, applications are often the single biggest hurdle applicants must overcome. Thus, they are almost the most important part of the process. After that, you can really look to show off who you are in person and sell yourself to the prospective employers. Jaysen offers a paid application review service. I appreciate that money may be tight for you. I have (with Jaysens blessing) offered to review an application for candidates who have had little success if they PM me them. Drop me a message and I'll have a look. I have had a lot of success this cycle so I'd like to think I can offer some targeted feedback on how to improve your applications.

Totally right. Oh my gosh this would be absolutely amazing!!! Would you really?! I'll drop you a message now!!!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.