Feeling discouraged

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 26, 2022
I have been struggling with the application process recently; lots of rejections have led to me not feeling good enough. I would appreciate any advice regarding if I do actually have a chance of securing a TC.

My background:

1) Strong gcses and A-levels
2) 2.1 degree in a non-law subject, 61% average
3) Bits and pieces of work experience, including one VS that I failed to convert (but which I thoroughly enjoyed, and had pretty good feedback from)
4) Some extra-curricular activities, including some vaguely impressive sporting achievements

I am feeling a bit stuck. I have had so many rejections recently at application review stage, for applications that I was 100% happy with upon sending. I do not know if it is my grades, or if it is something else. In interviews last year, I had some great feedback, but I ultimately did not get the VS (one firm’s grad rec even said that she did not know why I had been rejected, given the feedback that she had been given from the partners).

I am worried that it is going to be impossible for me to get a TC. Any advice would be really appreciated. I do not know whether to keep pushing, or to give up and find another career path. I am a fairly resilient person, however, I do not want to waste years of my life chipping away at something that is actually impossible for me.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
I have been struggling with the application process recently; lots of rejections have led to me not feeling good enough. I would appreciate any advice regarding if I do actually have a chance of securing a TC.

My background:

1) Strong gcses and A-levels
2) 2.1 degree in a non-law subject, 61% average
3) Bits and pieces of work experience, including one VS that I failed to convert (but which I thoroughly enjoyed, and had pretty good feedback from)
4) Some extra-curricular activities, including some vaguely impressive sporting achievements

I am feeling a bit stuck. I have had so many rejections recently at application review stage, for applications that I was 100% happy with upon sending. I do not know if it is my grades, or if it is something else. In interviews last year, I had some great feedback, but I ultimately did not get the VS (one firm’s grad rec even said that she did not know why I had been rejected, given the feedback that she had been given from the partners).

I am worried that it is going to be impossible for me to get a TC. Any advice would be really appreciated. I do not know whether to keep pushing, or to give up and find another career path. I am a fairly resilient person, however, I do not want to waste years of my life chipping away at something that is actually impossible for me.

Thank you in advance.
@HopefulFutureTrainee I am very sorry to hear that you've been struggling with the application process.

Just on the face of it, your background seems strong. A 2:1 non-law degree should really not be an issue unless firms specifically ask for 'strong' 2:1, which is when you should probably shift focus to those firms who suit your profile more.

Have you been getting your applications reviewed? TCLA has an application review service, but you really could consider using your uni app review service or getting a friend or family member to read your app over. This will help you understand if your message is being conveyed and received the way you're intending and whether your writing style can be improved.

I don't think getting a TC is impossible for you, or anyone for that matter. If you treat every rejection as a redirection back to the drawing board to focus on other firms or improve your skills or look for opportunities in places you may have not considered yet, then this process will be more sustainable and less draining for you.

I wish you the best and am looking forward to you updating us with your next steps 😊

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.