Financial Crisis 2008

SameerS

Star Member
Jul 30, 2018
I have come across many potential interview questions relating to the financial crisis that occurred in 2008. What role did bankers, lawyers etc have. What has the world learnt etc

I was wondering what is the best place to get an understanding of this event, it seems so vast that one can go in a tangent if not careful.

Any opinions?

Nicole

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Feb 28, 2018
Huge topic!

It took me a while to have a reasonable understanding of the financial crisis. YouTube helped a lot for the basics - there are some great videos to explain how it happened.For example:
Here's a good series from Khan Academy: https://www.khanacademy.org/economics-finance-domain/core-finance/current-economics#credit-crisis. Although it can be a bit technical.

I never really covered how lawyers were involved but I just had a search. This seems quite helpful: https://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/law/news/pdfdocs/Times Where were the lawyers.pdf

• 🏆
Reactions: Salma and SameerS

MightyMoe

Star Member
Feb 28, 2018
I have come across many potential interview questions relating to the financial crisis that occurred in 2008. What role did bankers, lawyers etc have. What has the world learnt etc

I was wondering what is the best place to get an understanding of this event, it seems so vast that one can go in a tangent if not careful.

Any opinions?

Where did you hear of those topics coming up? This is one of those topics that I struggle a lot with. Not even sure I could give a good answer to what happened!

Reactions: SameerS

SameerS

Star Member
Jul 30, 2018
Where did you hear of those topics coming up? This is one of those topics that I struggle a lot with. Not even sure I could give a good answer to what happened!

Guys thank you so much !!

And I was just looking at the 175 question guide prepared by TCLA and it had several questions relating to this and also I came across another website that stated that aspiring lawyers must have an understanding of the financial crisis because I think somebody was asked in a TC interview to explain what could have been done to avoid this

MightyMoe

Star Member
Feb 28, 2018
Guys thank you so much !!

And I was just looking at the 175 question guide prepared by TCLA and it had several questions relating to this and also I came across another website that stated that aspiring lawyers must have an understanding of the financial crisis because I think somebody was asked in a TC interview to explain what could have been done to avoid this

Ahhh ok that makes sense. I've been looking into it since you posted this morning. I usually go to Reddit for topics like this (their explain like I'm five section can be really good).

The first posts here are pretty helpful:

https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlik...li5_what_caused_the_financial_crisis_in_2008/
https://www.reddit.com/r/finance/comments/26ygsw/eli5_what_caused_the_20072008_financial_crisis/
https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlik...s/eli5_how_did_the_us_financial_crisis_start/

Obviously we need to go into more detail, but I think it's good as signposts for which topics are the most important to cover in an interview answer.

Do you have any thoughts on how you'd answer it?

• 🏆
Reactions: SameerS

Jai C.

Esteemed Member
May 15, 2018
Ahhh ok that makes sense. I've been looking into it since you posted this morning. I usually go to Reddit for topics like this (their explain like I'm five section can be really good).

The first posts here are pretty helpful:

https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlik...li5_what_caused_the_financial_crisis_in_2008/
https://www.reddit.com/r/finance/comments/26ygsw/eli5_what_caused_the_20072008_financial_crisis/
https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlik...s/eli5_how_did_the_us_financial_crisis_start/

Obviously we need to go into more detail, but I think it's good as signposts for which topics are the most important to cover in an interview answer.

Do you have any thoughts on how you'd answer it?

I would suggest that you read the training question guide in particular the section relating to Commercial Awareness which the OP has mentioned. I am just going through that particular section and writing my answers down on a word doc for each question

I hope this is of some help to you

I found that to be the best way of going through the topics in a logical manner. My academiec year doesn’t start until late September so it gives me just enough time to get a grasp of all the issues before the roller coaster ride of applications and balancing studies begins which I am dreading

Last edited:
Reactions: Bugsy Malone

Matt96

Standard Member
Feb 26, 2018
Jumping in late here but I have been asked this question at interview. I would suggest you stick to the most important aspects of the financial crisis. Otherwise, it is so easy to get stuck in the weeds.

In my opinion, I would say that is the following:

- What are the main consequences of the financial crisis? - sub prime mortgages, bankers risk and speculation, credit agency failures etc.
- What happened? - try to explain this in a few sentences.
- What do you think about the government bailouts?
- Has it been solved? If not, what needs to be done?

Matt

• 🏆
Reactions: Salma, Jaysen and Jai C.

SameerS

Star Member
Jul 30, 2018
Thanks to everyone. I have actually set aside half of my day watching short youtube videos learning about financial crash and reading journal articles.

CDOs - Sub Prime - Mortgage Backed securities - SPIRALLING HERE.

I wonder if we can ask the TCLA writers or Jaysen to do a write up on this? Although, I am 100% that these guys are already overloaded, but let me just tag @Jaysen .

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Thanks to everyone. I have actually set aside half of my day watching short youtube videos learning about financial crash and reading journal articles.

CDOs - Sub Prime - Mortgage Backed securities - SPIRALLING HERE.

I wonder if we can ask the TCLA writers or Jaysen to do a write up on this? Although, I am 100% that these guys are already overloaded, but let me just tag @Jaysen .

I believe they have all chosen their topics for September, but I can definitely suggest it for the next batch.

If I ever find the time, I would like to write about this topic!

EDIT: Those are some great pointers by Matt. If you can try to form an opinion on those questions, you should be covered.

Jai C.

Esteemed Member
    May 15, 2018
    Here goes, I have set out some important links for anyone that like me is trying to understand the financial crisis for the first time

Start of with youtube videos - (This will help you get the basics)

Here are my notes on the financial crisis - They mostly deal with what caused the financial crisis and who is to blame

Introduction:

It was the collapse of the Lehman Brothers, a sprawling global bank, in September 28 that almost brought down the world’s financial system.

Massive monetary and fiscal stimulus prevented a buddy can you spare a dime depression. With a nearly a decade’s hindsight, it is clear the crisis had multiple causes.

· The most obvious is the financiers themselves (Bankers (who are speculators)

· Central Bankers (FED RESERVE) and other regulators also bear blame

· The Macro economic backdrop was important – The Great Modernization years of low inflation and stable growth fostered complacency and risk taking.

· A saving glut in Asia pushing down global interest rates

All of these factors came together to foster a surge of debt in what seemed to have become a less risky word.

Now let’s take a look at each aspect:

Bankers (speculators/financiers)

The year before the crisis saw a flood of irresponsible mortgage lending. Loans were doled out to subprime borrowers with poor credit histories who struggled to repay them. (BIG MISTAKE – SUB PRIME MORTGAGES – FACTOR)

These risky mortgages were passed on to the bankers at the big banks, who turned them into supposedly low risk securities by putting large numbers of them together in pools

However, pooling only works when the risks of each loan are uncorrelated, the bankers argued that the property markets in different American cities would rise and fall independently, thus they are uncorrelated. This proved wrong.

Fast forward 2006; America is suffering a nationwide house price slump.

The pooled mortgages were used to back securities known as CDO, (Collateralized Debt Obligations) which were sliced into trances by degree of exposure to default.

Investors bought the safer tranches because they trusted the triple A credit assigned by agencies Moody’s and Standard & Poor’s. (THIS WAS ANOTHER MISTAKE – FAILURE OF AGENCIES)

The agencies were paid by the banks that created the CDOs. The agencies were far too generous in their assessment of them.

Investors sought out these securitized products because they appeared to be safe (AAA rating) whilst providing high returns in a world of low interest rates.

(Low interest rate is another story – some blame the FED for keeping short term interest too low, some blame the saving’s glut in Asia – the surfeit (surplus) of saving over investment in emerging economies especially in China. THAT capital then flooded into safe American government bonds, driving down interest rates.)

Back to the story:

The low interest rates created an incentive for banks, hedge funds and other investors to hunt for riskier assets that offered higher returns.

They also made it profitable for such outfits to borrow and use the extra cash to amplify their investments; the low volatility of the Great Modernization increased the temptation to leverage in this word.

The interest rates appeared stable; investors took the risk of borrowing in the money markets to buy longer dated higher yielding securities (mortgages).

Houses to money markets:

America’s housing market plummeted, pooling and other clever financial engineering bankers had done did not provide investors with the promised protection.

Mortgage backed securities slumped in value, CDOs turned out to be worthless despite the rating agencies seal of approval

It became difficult for banks to sell suspect assets at almost any price, or to use them as collateral for the short term funding many banks had relied on.

This dented banks capital thanks to deviating away from ‘mark to market accounting rules, which would have required the banks to revalue their assets at the current prices, and thereby acknowledge losses on paper that might never actually be incurred.

Financial instruments such as CREDIT SWAP DEFAULTS (in which the seller agrees to compensate the buyer if a third party defaults on a loan), that were meant to spread risk turned out to concentrate it)

AIG, American insurance giant, who had provided thousands of these swap defaults, buckled within days of Lehman bankruptcy

The whole system was revealed to have been built on flimsy foundations – Banks had allowed their balance sheets to bloat, but set aside too little (actual) capital to absorb losses. In effect they had bet on themselves with borrowed money, a gamble that paid off in good times, but proved catastrophic in these times.

Regulator’s fault: (Regulators asleep at the wheel)-

There is no doubt that failures in finance were at the heart of the crash. But bankers were not the only people to blame.

Central bankers (FED Reserve) and other regulators bear responsibility too, for mishandling the crisis, for failing to keep economic imbalances in check and for failing to exercise proper oversight of financial institutions.

The regulator’s most dramatic error was to let Lehman Brothers go bankrupt, because this multiplied panic in markets and suddenly no body trusted anybody, so nobody would lend.

Non financial companies, unable to rely on being able to borrow to pay suppliers or workers, froze spending in order to hoard cash, causing a seizure in the real economy.

Ironically, the decision to stand back and allow LB to collapse resulted in more government intervention and not less. To stem the consequent panic, regulators had to rescue scores of other companies.

But the regulators made mistakes long before the Lehman bankruptcy, most notably by tolerating global current-account imbalances and the housing bubbles that they helped to inflate

Central banks could have done more to address all this. The Fed made no attempt to stem the housing bubble.

Central bankers insist that it would have been difficult to temper the housing and credit boom through higher interest rates. Perhaps so, but they had other regulatory tools at their disposal, such as lowering maximum loan-to-value ratios for mortgages, or demanding that banks should set aside more capital.

Lax capital ratios:

Lax capital ratios proved the biggest shortcoming. Since 1988 a committee of central bankers and supervisors meeting in Basel has negotiated international rules for the minimum amount of capital banks must hold relative to their assets. But these rules did not define capital strictly enough, which let banks smuggle in forms of debt that did not have the same loss-absorbing capacity as equity.

Under pressure from shareholders to increase returns, banks operated with minimal equity, leaving them vulnerable if things went wrong.

And from the mid-1990s they were allowed more and more to use their own internal models to assess risk—in effect setting their own capital requirements. Predictably, they judged their assets to be ever safer, allowing balance-sheets to balloon without a commensurate rise in capital

The Basel committee also did not make any rules regarding the share of a bank’s assets that should be liquid. And it failed to set up a mechanism to allow a big international bank to go bust without causing the rest of the system to seize up.

All in together:

Regulators and bankers were not alone in making misjudgments, when economies are doing well; there are powerful political pressures not to rock the boat.

The long period of economic and price stability over which they presided encouraged risk-taking. And as so often in the history of financial crashes, humble consumers also joined in the collective delusion that lasting prosperity could be built on ever-bigger piles of debt.

Jai C.

Esteemed Member
    May 15, 2018
    I just did not have the time to answer - Has the financial crisis -been solved - if somebody has the time - Do have a crack at this, please

If not, when I get some time I can research and will post it, although it will be some time before I do that

Hope that helps everyone.

MightyMoe

Star Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Here goes, I have set out some important links for anyone that like me is trying to understand the financial crisis for the first time

Here are my notes on the financial crisis - They mostly deal with what caused the financial crisis and who is to blame

Introduction:

It was the collapse of the Lehman Brothers, a sprawling global bank, in September 28 that almost brought down the world’s financial system.

Massive monetary and fiscal stimulus prevented a buddy can you spare a dime depression. With a nearly a decade’s hindsight, it is clear the crisis had multiple causes.

· The Macro economic backdrop was important – The Great Modernization years of low inflation and stable growth fostered complacency and risk taking.

All of these factors came together to foster a surge of debt in what seemed to have become a less risky word.

The year before the crisis saw a flood of irresponsible mortgage lending. Loans were doled out to subprime borrowers with poor credit histories who struggled to repay them. (BIG MISTAKE – SUB PRIME MORTGAGES – FACTOR)

These risky mortgages were passed on to the bankers at the big banks, who turned them into supposedly low risk securities by putting large numbers of them together in pools

However, pooling only works when the risks of each loan are uncorrelated, the bankers argued that the property markets in different American cities would rise and fall independently, thus they are uncorrelated. This proved wrong.

The pooled mortgages were used to back securities known as CDO, (Collateralized Debt Obligations) which were sliced into trances by degree of exposure to default.

Investors bought the safer tranches because they trusted the triple A credit assigned by agencies Moody’s and Standard & Poor’s. (THIS WAS ANOTHER MISTAKE – FAILURE OF AGENCIES)

The agencies were paid by the banks that created the CDOs. The agencies were far too generous in their assessment of them.

Investors sought out these securitized products because they appeared to be safe (AAA rating) whilst providing high returns in a world of low interest rates.

(Low interest rate is another story – some blame the FED for keeping short term interest too low, some blame the saving’s glut in Asia – the surfeit (surplus) of saving over investment in emerging economies especially in China. THAT capital then flooded into safe American government bonds, driving down interest rates.)

Back to the story:

The low interest rates created an incentive for banks, hedge funds and other investors to hunt for riskier assets that offered higher returns.

They also made it profitable for such outfits to borrow and use the extra cash to amplify their investments; the low volatility of the Great Modernization increased the temptation to leverage in this word.

The interest rates appeared stable; investors took the risk of borrowing in the money markets to buy longer dated higher yielding securities (mortgages).

Houses to money markets:

America’s housing market plummeted, pooling and other clever financial engineering bankers had done did not provide investors with the promised protection.

Mortgage backed securities slumped in value, CDOs turned out to be worthless despite the rating agencies seal of approval

It became difficult for banks to sell suspect assets at almost any price, or to use them as collateral for the short term funding many banks had relied on.

This dented banks capital thanks to deviating away from ‘mark to market accounting rules, which would have required the banks to revalue their assets at the current prices, and thereby acknowledge losses on paper that might never actually be incurred.

Financial instruments such as CREDIT SWAP DEFAULTS (in which the seller agrees to compensate the buyer if a third party defaults on a loan), that were meant to spread risk turned out to concentrate it)

AIG, American insurance giant, who had provided thousands of these swap defaults, buckled within days of Lehman bankruptcy

The whole system was revealed to have been built on flimsy foundations – Banks had allowed their balance sheets to bloat, but set aside too little (actual) capital to absorb losses. In effect they had bet on themselves with borrowed money, a gamble that paid off in good times, but proved catastrophic in these times.

There is no doubt that failures in finance were at the heart of the crash. But bankers were not the only people to blame.

Central bankers (FED Reserve) and other regulators bear responsibility too, for mishandling the crisis, for failing to keep economic imbalances in check and for failing to exercise proper oversight of financial institutions.

The regulator’s most dramatic error was to let Lehman Brothers go bankrupt, because this multiplied panic in markets and suddenly no body trusted anybody, so nobody would lend.

Non financial companies, unable to rely on being able to borrow to pay suppliers or workers, froze spending in order to hoard cash, causing a seizure in the real economy.

Ironically, the decision to stand back and allow LB to collapse resulted in more government intervention and not less. To stem the consequent panic, regulators had to rescue scores of other companies.

But the regulators made mistakes long before the Lehman bankruptcy, most notably by tolerating global current-account imbalances and the housing bubbles that they helped to inflate

Central banks could have done more to address all this. The Fed made no attempt to stem the housing bubble.

Central bankers insist that it would have been difficult to temper the housing and credit boom through higher interest rates. Perhaps so, but they had other regulatory tools at their disposal, such as lowering maximum loan-to-value ratios for mortgages, or demanding that banks should set aside more capital.

Lax capital ratios:

Lax capital ratios proved the biggest shortcoming. Since 1988 a committee of central bankers and supervisors meeting in Basel has negotiated international rules for the minimum amount of capital banks must hold relative to their assets. But these rules did not define capital strictly enough, which let banks smuggle in forms of debt that did not have the same loss-absorbing capacity as equity.

Under pressure from shareholders to increase returns, banks operated with minimal equity, leaving them vulnerable if things went wrong.

And from the mid-1990s they were allowed more and more to use their own internal models to assess risk—in effect setting their own capital requirements. Predictably, they judged their assets to be ever safer, allowing balance-sheets to balloon without a commensurate rise in capital

The Basel committee also did not make any rules regarding the share of a bank’s assets that should be liquid. And it failed to set up a mechanism to allow a big international bank to go bust without causing the rest of the system to seize up.

All in together:

Regulators and bankers were not alone in making misjudgments, when economies are doing well; there are powerful political pressures not to rock the boat.

The long period of economic and price stability over which they presided encouraged risk-taking. And as so often in the history of financial crashes, humble consumers also joined in the collective delusion that lasting prosperity could be built on ever-bigger piles of debt.

YOU ARE AWESOME!

Reactions: Salma

Campbell44

Star Member
    Feb 28, 2018

Introduction:

Back to the story:

Houses to money markets:

Lax capital ratios:

All in together:

Impressive knowledge - did you study econ?

I would only add a link to what happened with house prices to the crash. So many Americans had purchased houses that demand for housing fell before 2007. That coupled with repossessions from sub prime borrowers caused US house prices to begun to fall. Once house prices fell, lenders became more wary of lending because they could no longer just repossess a house and make their money back. This caused prices to depress even more, making the bonds that were based on the loans even less valuable.

FreddyS

Distinguished Member
    Feb 28, 2018

Introduction:

Back to the story:

Houses to money markets:

Lax capital ratios:

All in together:

Thanks for this!

Nicole

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Feb 28, 2018

Introduction:

Back to the story:

Houses to money markets:

Lax capital ratios:

All in together:

Great write up!!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

Introduction:

Back to the story:

Houses to money markets:

Lax capital ratios:

All in together:

Here's Lehman's chief administrative officer arguing why Lehman should have been saved: https://www.ft.com/content/c86fbb48-af98-11e8-87e0-d84e0d934341.

A quick summary:
    • The Fed wouldn't give them a loan despite Lehman having adequate collateral
    • They were prevented from becoming bank holding company (even though the Fed did it for Goldman and Morgan Stanley later), which would have saved the bank
    • Bad decisions were made because of political pressure
    He also points to how we could prepare for next time:
    • The Basel Committee should assess whether the capital and liquidity requirements that were put in place after the crisis are appropriate
    • Policymakers should review the rules put in place after the crash about rescuing banks.
    • An "industry-financed fund", backed by the Fed, should be created to fund the rescuing of banks. Banks should contribute according to their level of systemic risk.
    Or, if you want to argue the other point of view -- Why Lehman should not have been saved: https://www.ft.com/content/f96f2134-a15b-11de-a88d-00144feabdc0

Last edited:
    • ℹ️
    Reactions: Salma

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.