Foreign Legal Experience vs Vacation Scheme?

QXW

Feb 29, 2020
Hello Everyone! I am a penultimate year student studying abroad in Hong Kong this year, and I am considering finding legal work in Hong Kong and Mainland China for the summer.

This is partly because I haven't been able to secure a VC in the UK and this seems to be my only option for gaining legal experience before my final year. (Regardless, I will also be applying for winter and spring schemes in my final year)

I was wondering if legal work experience in another jurisdiction is a sufficient replacement for a VC in terms of demonstrating knowledge about what legal work involves? i.e. how useful is a legal experience in another jurisdiction when it comes to applying for VCs and TCs in the future?

Many thanks! :)

Last edited:

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
Any legal experience is going to be relevant, however, just remember that people secure TC's without having a VS, or having previous legal experience. It is not a pre-requisite.

What I assume Grad Rec is looking for is a genuine motivation in the applicant to become a commercial lawyer. The most common route that applicants choose to evidence that is by completing work placements at a firm (Vacation Schemes) or attending Insight Events (Open Days etc).

Just be sure that whatever work you are undertaking, you look to see whether the transferrable skills you have developed in that role can be linked back to the role of a lawyer :)

Reactions: QXW, Eva and Jaysen

QXW

Feb 29, 2020
Any legal experience is going to be relevant, however, just remember that people secure TC's without having a VS, or having previous legal experience. It is not a pre-requisite.

What I assume Grad Rec is looking for is a genuine motivation in the applicant to become a commercial lawyer. The most common route that applicants choose to evidence that is by completing work placements at a firm (Vacation Schemes) or attending Insight Events (Open Days etc).

Just be sure that whatever work you are undertaking, you look to see whether the transferrable skills you have developed in that role can be linked back to the role of a lawyer :)

That is very helpful to know! Many thanks for your reply! :D

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.