Freshfields Assessment Day

D

Deleted member 613

Hi all, does anyone have any experience at one of Freshfields' Assessment Days? If so, any advice would be appreciated! If anyone else has any relevant Assessment Day experience, please do share.

By way of summary:
  • Both interviews will allocate significant time to posing questions for the interviewers
  • Written Exercise (45min) - How you organise what you write, and how well you can spot key concepts and convey them
  • General Interview (1hr) - Demonstrating your best qualities
  • Analytical Interview (1hr) - Assessing your 'business mind' after reading an article from FT/The Economist (20min)
  • Tour of the building with a trainee

Thanks in advance!

Raphael Yan Bing Khoo

Future Trainee
Sep 17, 2018
Hi Nichol,

I completed the Freshfields AC last month and was successful.

1) Written exercise:

You will be asked to read through a draft e-mail by the partner to the client and be asked to check for (i) spelling and grammar (ii) style and tone (iii) any uncertainty in the phrasing and (iv) redraft the last paragraph in your own words.

2) General interview:

Questions will flow directly from your Personal Statement. My biggest tip is to have a good story to tell and make your responses interesting and exciting; the questions are quite predictable so having interesting examples would make you stand out

3) Analytical interview:

They asked for a short summary of the article at the start and then asked very specific questions of several terms in the article, i.e. pros/cons of a Franchise, what is an Angel investor, etc. My biggest tip is to not be overly taken aback by the type of questions they ask (they will most definitely push you a bit) but take your time and think through your responses. Always have a structure when answering the questions, i.e. I have 3 points... First, Second, Third, etc. If you are stuck, ask them for clarification and try to work around that.

Good luck!

D

Deleted member 613

Hi Nichol,

I completed the Freshfields AC last month and was successful.

1) Written exercise:

You will be asked to read through a draft e-mail by the partner to the client and be asked to check for (i) spelling and grammar (ii) style and tone (iii) any uncertainty in the phrasing and (iv) redraft the last paragraph in your own words.

2) General interview:

Questions will flow directly from your Personal Statement. My biggest tip is to have a good story to tell and make your responses interesting and exciting; the questions are quite predictable so having interesting examples would make you stand out

3) Analytical interview:

They asked for a short summary of the article at the start and then asked very specific questions of several terms in the article, i.e. pros/cons of a Franchise, what is an Angel investor, etc. My biggest tip is to not be overly taken aback by the type of questions they ask (they will most definitely push you a bit) but take your time and think through your responses. Always have a structure when answering the questions, i.e. I have 3 points... First, Second, Third, etc. If you are stuck, ask them for clarification and try to work around that.

Good luck!
Congratulations! And thank you very much for all that information. I’ve been rejected post interview from two firms (both of whom do not give feedback) so I’m struggling to think of how to improve before this one. Are you from a law/non-law background if you don’t mind me asking?

Raphael Yan Bing Khoo

Future Trainee
Sep 17, 2018
Congratulations! And thank you very much for all that information. I’ve been rejected post interview from two firms (both of whom do not give feedback) so I’m struggling to think of how to improve before this one. Are you from a law/non-law background if you don’t mind me asking?

Try to be more personable and less formulaic/rehearsed and have fun with it! They're looking for people they think can fit into the firm culture.

I'm doing law

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.