Freshfields VS Interview

Lian Lian

Distinguished Member
Feb 2, 2021
Hi! I also received a WG invite mid-Jan. It's been more than 3 weeks since I've completed the test and I've not heard back yet. I am lowkey getting nervous especially since I've been seen people announce that their ACs with Freshfields was successful.

Has anyone else heard back from them? If not, I hope we know the outcome soon! 😌

stemlawgal

Distinguished Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Jul 8, 2020
    Hi! I also received a WG invite mid-Jan. It's been more than 3 weeks since I've completed the test and I've not heard back yet. I am lowkey getting nervous especially since I've been seen people announce that their ACs with Freshfields was successful.

Has anyone else heard back from them? If not, I hope we know the outcome soon! 😌
    Havent heard anything myself, tbh wish they would just reject me so I can move on with my life ahahaha

• Haha
    Reactions: Lian Lian

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Has anyone done the FF AC? I would be really really grateful if anyone had any tips or advice!
    Th

I think @Alice G should be able to give you some advice!
    Absolutely, I’ve had a few messages today and I’m delighted for you guys who have had good news! I will be making a post in my ask me anything thread on my advice to prepare, which I will link in this main thread so please keep an eye out!! :)

Reactions: SF1234

keira

Star Member
    Jul 28, 2020
    Thanks Alice, that would be much appreciated! Just got my invite for the AC :)
    Absolutely, I’ve had a few messages today and I’m delighted for you guys who have had good news! I will be making a post in my ask me anything thread on my advice to prepare, which I will link in this main thread so please keep an eye out!! :)

Reactions: Alice G

al2020

Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    Jul 5, 2020
    Has anyone done the FF AC? I would be really really grateful if anyone had any tips or advice!
    Hey,

I had was invited for the FF summer vac scheme AC and got an offer. The AC was split into three parts;

(1) A written exercise that will be delivered to you before the interviews. I think I had a week to open a link to a portal and complete a one hour exercise.
    (2) General interview
    (3) Analytical interview

• The written exercise was pretty straightforward. It's based on a fictional scenario where an associate wants to send off a memo/email to a client. Your task is to proofread it and spot both very obvious mistakes and more nuanced errors in the communication. It's very straightforward and there's are no curveballs, simply follow the instructions and you should be fine.
    • The general interview is again very relaxed. I had a partner and senior associate interview me. It's the classic 'why commercial, why commercial law at Freshfields, tell me a time etc.' The key here I think is to be yourself, give thoughtful and personal answers to all questions asked. My tips for this would be:
      • Preparing very well beforehand. By far the best (free) resource I found was TCLA's interview questions (link: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/175-training-contract-interview-questions-2/). They're a literal godsend. I prepped by bullet pointing what I was going to say then repeating my answers out loud to make sure I could respond concisely but also conversationally.
      • Jot down a few (thoughtful) questions you'd like to ask your interviewers (i.e. information you can't find on their website) and try and think of 1 or 2 more that arise from your interviewers.
      • Read your application again and be prepared to speak on anything and everything on your application.
    • The analytical interview is a test of commercial awareness. The best advice I can give is to build this knowledge over time because that way you're not overly caught out too much. They will send you an article and I believe you will have 30 mins to read it, and then two lawyers will proceed to grill you on it. Topics can vary greatly. For example, I was given an article on meatless meat. The topic isn't important honestly, it's more about explaining your thought process. It's not about just knowing what a joint venture, merger or asset purchase is, but being able to evaluate the evidence in front of you and coming to a reasoned conclusion as to how those business arrangements apply to the facts you've been given. Top tips;
      • Ideally, you should have consistently been reading business news. This doesn't mean the FT should become your gospel, but you should have a general understanding of different commercial/business trends and how they interrelate and the impacts on them on business. My tips in this respect would be;
        • Make note of current news topics and stories.
        • A very 'out there' suggestion to improve your commercial awareness would be to have a look at Scott Galloway's 10 min YouTube videos on market trends. He's very... idiosyncratic (loool) and often takes political stance a lot of the times but he's very good at explaining the underlying business models in different industries, which I have found highly useful in my interviews this cycle.
        • If you can afford it, purchase TCLA premium and have a look at their courses on private equity and M&A. They're extremely informative and provide you with frameworks and introductions to private equity and M&A, which could come up in your analytical interview.
      • Make brief notes during the time you have to read the article.
      • SWOT and PESTLE analysis are great frameworks to consider when looking at potential issues.
      • They're not trying to trick you but rather seeing how you can apply your commercial awareness to novel situations. Use this as an opportunity to showcase your commercial awareness and you'll be fine.
    Lastly, I'd say don't forget to smile and be yourself. You've done a great job of making it this far and you should try as much as possible to enjoy the experience. Best of luck!

Last edited:
    D

Deleted member 6790

Hey,

I had was invited for the FF summer vac scheme AC and got an offer. The AC was split into three parts;

(1) A written exercise that will be delivered to you before the interviews. I think I had a week to open a link to a portal and complete a one hour exercise.
    (2) General interview
    (3) Analytical interview

• The written exercise was pretty straightforward. It's based on a fictional scenario where an associate wants to send off a memo/email to a client. Your task is to proofread it and spot both very obvious mistakes and more nuanced errors in the communication. It's very straightforward and there's are no curveballs, simply follow the instructions and you should be fine.
    • The general interview is again very relaxed. I had a partner and senior associate interview me. It's the classic 'why commercial, why commercial law at Freshfields, tell me a time etc.' The key here I think is to be yourself, give thoughtful and personal answers to all questions asked. My tips for this would be:
      • Preparing very well beforehand. By far the best (free) resource I found was TCLA's interview questions (link: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/175-training-contract-interview-questions-2/). They're a literal godsend. I prepped by bullet pointing what I was going to say then repeating my answers out loud to make sure I could respond concisely but also conversationally.
      • Jot down a few (thoughtful) questions you'd like to ask your interviewers (i.e. information you can't find on their website) and try and think of 1 or 2 more that arise from your interviewers.
      • Read your application again and be prepared to speak on anything and everything on your application.
    • The analytical interview is a test of commercial awareness. The best advice I can give is to build this knowledge over time because that way you're not overly caught out too much. They will send you an article and I believe you will have 30 mins to read it, and then two lawyers will proceed to grill you on it. Topics can vary greatly. For example, I was given an article on meatless meat. The topic isn't important honestly, it's more about explaining your thought process. It's not about just knowing what a joint venture, merger or asset purchase is, but being able to evaluate the evidence in front of you and coming to a reasoned conclusion as to how those business arrangements apply to the facts you've been given. Top tips;
      • Ideally, you should have consistently been reading business news. This doesn't mean the FT should become your gospel, but you should have a general understanding of different commercial/business trends and how they interrelate and the impacts on them on business. My tips in this respect would be;
        • A very 'out there' suggestion to improve your commercial awareness would be to have a look at Scott Galloway's 10 min YouTube videos on market trends. He's very... idiosyncratic (loool) and often takes political stance a lot of the times but he's very good at explaining the underlying business models in different industries, which I have found highly useful in my interviews this cycle.
        • If you can afford it, purchase TCLA premium and have a look at their courses on private equity and M&A. They're extremely informative and provide you with frameworks and introductions to private equity and M&A, which could come up in your analytical interview.
      • SWOT and PESTLE analysis are great frameworks to consider when looking at potential issues.
      • They're not trying to trick you but rather seeing how you can apply your commercial awareness to novel situations. Use this as an opportunity to showcase your commercial awareness and you'll be fine.
    Lastly, I'd say don't forget to smile and be yourself. You've done a great job of making it this far and you should try as much as possible to enjoy the experience. Best of luck!
    Hey, I just got invited to a Freshfields TC AC today and this is so helpful – thank you! I wondered whether you had any tips about time management in the written exercise? Do you need to divide your time wisely or did you have time left over? Thanks so much!

al2020

Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    Jul 5, 2020
    Hey, I just got invited to a Freshfields TC AC today and this is so helpful – thank you! I wondered whether you had any tips about time management in the written exercise? Do you need to divide your time wisely or did you have time left over? Thanks so much!
    Hey Lizzy,

You should have enough time for the written exercise. I believe it's an hour long and I found I had plenty of time to look through the email and add corrections. I would suggest having a clock and being aware of the fact that the online system won't tell your time is up. Grad rec will only look at whatever document you upload in that time period. Just read the instructions carefully and correct all the mistakes - obvious and vague - and you'll be fine. Best of luck!

D

Deleted member 6790

Thanks so much, this is really helpful :)
    Hey Lizzy,

You should have enough time for the written exercise. I believe it's an hour long and I found I had plenty of time to look through the email and add corrections. I would suggest having a clock and being aware of the fact that the online system won't tell your time is up. Grad rec will only look at whatever document you upload in that time period. Just read the instructions carefully and correct all the mistakes - obvious and vague - and you'll be fine. Best of luck!

Reactions: al2020
    D

Deleted member 6790

Thanks so much, this is really helpful :)
    Hey Lizzy,

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey,

(2) General interview
    (3) Analytical interview

This format hasn’t changed much in 10 years by the sounds of it!

Reactions: al2020

al2020

Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    Jul 5, 2020
    Hey @al2020 hope you are doing well. It would be of great help if you could please touch upon the analytical interview. Do you remember the kind of questions asked and the difficultly level?
    Thank You.
    Hi @futuretraineesolicitor

I've had friends also receive invites to the AC and the questions they got asked for analytical interview were different from mine since it's very dependent on the article they give you. However, the questions I got asked were centred around the types of business ventures companies in the articles pursued or were considering pursuing e.g. joint-ventures, acquisitions, franchises etc. I got asked the legal implications that might arise from a business venture e.g. intellectual property rights in joint-ventures, employment contracts in acquisitions, structures of share purchase agreements and negotiating warranties and indemnities etc.

If you've been reading up on commercial news stories for a couple of months you should be fine. The difficulty level really depends on how much you know I think. My interviewers tested the waters at the start of the interview and then made the questions progressively harder as they better gauged the amount of commercial knowledge I knew. Hope this helps

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    Hi @futuretraineesolicitor

I've had friends also receive invites to the AC and the questions they got asked for analytical interview were different from mine since it's very dependent on the article they give you. However, the questions I got asked were centred around the types of business ventures companies in the articles pursued or were considering pursuing e.g. joint-ventures, acquisitions, franchises etc. I got asked the legal implications that might arise from a business venture e.g. intellectual property rights in joint-ventures, employment contracts in acquisitions, structures of share purchase agreements and negotiating warranties and indemnities etc.

If you've been reading up on commercial news stories for a couple of months you should be fine. The difficulty level really depends on how much you know I think. My interviewers tested the waters at the start of the interview and then made the questions progressively harder as they better gauged the amount of commercial knowledge I knew. Hope this helps
    Thank you for this answer.

s.k.o

Star Member
    Jan 14, 2019

Hi have you heard back ? still waiting on a reply after completing my WG early last month

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.