Frustration - Not able to do a vacation scheme

ComplianceChange

Legendary Member
May 16, 2019
Feeling a little frustrated that due to working full time (and needing approval from my workplace to undertake a vac scheme and also having very little annual leave) I am unable to do a vacaction scheme... Which ultimately limits and number of firms I can apply to. Seeing that Eversheds just PFO'd all direct TC apps due to filling all TC spots with vac schemers does not feel great!

Anyone else in the same boat ⛵

ADKM

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 2, 2022
I can understand your dilemma. I'm in the same boat and got the Eversheds PFO this afternoon as well. As frustrating as it is, there really isn't much that can be done. I prefer to look at it this way - what if there were a couple of spots open for the Direct TC. At least now, it doesn't hurt that much knowing the firm rejected you rather than you choosing not to apply and then regretting later when a spot could've potentially opened up. That spot could've been for any of us, who knows 🤷‍♂️

As for vac schemes colliding with a full-time job, I don't think it's that bad a situation after all. For one, your gaining experience. Secondly, I've often heard people finding it difficult to decide on making VS/TC applications based on their experiences. You could be a bit strategic here and apply for VS to firms that recruit solely/a major portion of their future trainees from vacation schemes and also make Direct TC applications to firms with a sizeable Direct TC intake. That way, your mitigating the risk of losing out on any opportunities.

If you happen to get a VS at a firm that recruits solely/majority of it's trainees from the VS cohort, then it's not a bad option to quit your full-time job. I know it's a risky option but if you prepare well and give it your best shot, no reason why you can't convert that VS into a TC. On the other hand, if you get accepted into a firm directly for a TC, that's fantastic. You have your dream job and you don't have to quit your current job too! You can certainly reserve a day or two off for interviews or ACs, provided you haven't used up all your allotted holidays 😄

I hope this helps and gives you some clarity. All the best!

• Love
Reactions: laurabeaumont

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.