GDL Needed?

Internationalsolicitor

Gold Member
Premium Member
Feb 2, 2022
Hello,

I am an international lawyer and I have completed my law degree in an Indian law school. I am filling out a training contract application which requires me to select:

'Is this a qualifying law degree (i.e. one that exempts you from the GDL)?'

Having completed my law degree in India, would I be exempted from appearing for the GDL? Apologies if this is a straightforward question but I was not very sure.

Thank you

@AvniD
@Jessica Booker

IRO

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer 5
Jan 21, 2021
Hello,

I am an international lawyer and I have completed my law degree in an Indian law school. I am filling out a training contract application which requires me to select:

'Is this a qualifying law degree (i.e. one that exempts you from the GDL)?'

Having completed my law degree in India, would I be exempted from appearing for the GDL? Apologies if this is a straightforward question but I was not very sure.

Thank you

@AvniD
@Jessica Booker
Unless your degree is in English law, not Indian law it won’t be a qualifying law degree and you would need to do the GDL.

IRO

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer 5
Jan 21, 2021
I was under the misconception that passing the SQE would be enough for me to convert my Indian law degree to the English system. Will look into GDL. Thank you :)
Passing the SQE will be enough for you to convert to the English system. However, if you get a TC with a firm they may still require you to do the GDL/PGDL, so the answer to the application question is ‘no, it’s not a qualifying law degree’ meaning you likely would need to do the GDL if you got a TC with that firm.

However, if you accept at TC with a firm that doesn’t require the GDL/PGDL, or if you decide to sit the SQE and secure QWE without doing a TC you wouldn’t need to do the GDL

Internationalsolicitor

Gold Member
Premium Member
Feb 2, 2022
Passing the SQE will be enough for you to convert to the English system. However, if you get a TC with a firm they may still require you to do the GDL/PGDL, so the answer to the application question is ‘no, it’s not a qualifying law degree’ meaning you likely would need to do the GDL if you got a TC with that firm.

However, if you accept at TC with a firm that doesn’t require the GDL/PGDL, or if you decide to sit the SQE and secure QWE without doing a TC you wouldn’t need to do the GDL
This clarifies it! Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I was under the misconception that passing the SQE would be enough for me to convert my Indian law degree to the English system. Will look into GDL. Thank you :)
It technically is the case now that you don't need to do the GDL to qualify as a solicitor in the UK if you don't have an English qualifying law degree.

However, many firms are still asking prospective trainees who haven't studied English law to do the GDL as a prep course for the SQE.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.