Got rejected by Stephenson Harwood for their vacation scheme. Not sure where I went wrong!

Kola

Legendary Member
Sep 27, 2020
I'm a law student at LSE and got a (low) 2:1 in my first year. My A-levels and GCSEs are very good as well, so it can't have been education. Despite applying to a tonne of US firms and MC firms, no firm appealed to me quite like Stephenson Harwood because of their leading art & cultural law practice (I make and sell paintings so it was really something I was drawn to). I applied for their Winter Vac scheme, but also put the other schemes down as my second and third options.

I have progressed to subsequent stages with other firms who are more or equally 'prestigious'. The difference is, since I really liked Stephenson Harwood, I actually spent about double the time crafting my application form in comparison with the other firms that I've applied to. I am completely stumped as to why firms - who I have spent less time researching, and are more prestigious - have progressed me to their second stages, yet Stephenson Harwood just flat out rejected me within 2 weeks. I literally filled my application form with the best possible answers I have ever written for anything AND checked it like 10 times for spelling mistakes.

Honestly really confused. Anybody have any insight as to why I could have been rejected? It is just one of those 'shit happens' moments?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Maybe they saw your other vac schemes and wondered why you were interested in them when you have worked for very different firms.

Kola

Legendary Member
Sep 27, 2020
Maybe they saw your other vac schemes and wondered why you were interested in them when you have worked for very different firms.

Apologies, I should have been clearer. I haven't received any Vac scheme offers as yet, nor have I conducted any vac schemes before. I have only begun applications a few months ago, so I have only been progressed to the next stages of vac schemes (e.g. interview, AC) with other firms. I am confused because some of the firms that have progressed me are more 'rigorous' AND I spent far more care and time on my SH application.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Ah apologies - I misread.

It might be the opposite then - lack of work experience?

Sometimes people can also over-egg niche parts of the firm. If they felt you were only interested in their arts department, then they may have wondered what you would get out the rest of the training contract.

Reactions: Kola

M1999

Legendary Member
Nov 28, 2019
I'm a law student at LSE and got a (low) 2:1 in my first year. My A-levels and GCSEs are very good as well, so it can't have been education. Despite applying to a tonne of US firms and MC firms, no firm appealed to me quite like Stephenson Harwood because of their leading art & cultural law practice (I make and sell paintings so it was really something I was drawn to). I applied for their Winter Vac scheme, but also put the other schemes down as my second and third options.

I have progressed to subsequent stages with other firms who are more or equally 'prestigious'. The difference is, since I really liked Stephenson Harwood, I actually spent about double the time crafting my application form in comparison with the other firms that I've applied to. I am completely stumped as to why firms - who I have spent less time researching, and are more prestigious - have progressed me to their second stages, yet Stephenson Harwood just flat out rejected me within 2 weeks. I literally filled my application form with the best possible answers I have ever written for anything AND checked it like 10 times for spelling mistakes.

Honestly really confused. Anybody have any insight as to why I could have been rejected? It is just one of those 'shit happens' moments?
Hi! I really wouldn't take this thing personally.
What I have learnt with this experience is that you cannot predict anything. You could write an amazing application (in your eyes) to a firm and not past the first stage, and write a slightly less than amazing (in your eyes) application to a firm and get through. We'll never know what the recruiters are truly looking for at that particular firm on that particular day.
The fact you have progressed onto other prestigious firms shows you are an excellent candidate. Maybe it was not your time with SH or maybe you will find another firm you like even more.
I wouldn't waste time thinking 'why', it is one firm & clearly other firms have a great interest in you. Plus, if your heart is really set on SH - remember that they recruit a lot of their trainee intake from direct applications so you have until July 2021 for this intake!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    What I have learnt with this experience is that you cannot predict anything. You could write an amazing application (in your eyes) to a firm and not past the first stage, and write a slightly less than amazing (in your eyes) application to a firm and get through. We'll never know what the recruiters are truly looking for at that particular firm on that particular day.
    The fact you have progressed onto other prestigious firms shows you are an excellent candidate. Maybe it was not your time with SH or maybe you will find another firm you like even more.
    I wouldn't waste time thinking 'why', it is one firm & clearly other firms have a great interest in you. Plus, if your heart is really set on SH - remember that they recruit a lot of their trainee intake from direct applications so you have until July 2021 for this intake!

Couldn't agree more!

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Think this absolutely spot on - very well said @maddie34567!

divaination

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 31, 2022
    sorry to restart this thread after so long but I thought I could provide helpful information to anyone who may be researching this firm in the future

the firm doesn't provide trainees with any cultural / art law experience whatsoever, and art law doesn't fit into the firm's business growth strategy anywhere near as much as their other core areas. to my understanding or reasonable guess, their expertise in art law comes from working with key existing clients and fostering relationships with them, as opposed to having a dedicated large team just to handle such issues and grow the business organically through that sector. focusing on the niche maybe tells them you're not doing your research properly or not appreciating their business needs as a firm

• ℹ️
    Reactions: stone’sthrow and AvniD

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.