Gowling WLG

Alla

Nov 17, 2018
Hiya! I am currently drafting my application to Gowling WLG. Can anyone recommend how I should approach writing a pitch to a client?

"You have been asked to contribute to a pitch document for a potential new house builder client. Please write, in no more than 500 words, why this client should choose Gowling WLG as its preferred legal adviser."

Thank you :)

Alla

Nov 17, 2018
Hiya! I am currently drafting my application to Gowling WLG. Can anyone recommend how I should approach writing a pitch to a client?

"You have been asked to contribute to a pitch document for a potential new house builder client. Please write, in no more than 500 words, why this client should choose Gowling WLG as its preferred legal adviser."

Thank you :)

I've approached this question by outline 3 main reasons: Gowling WLG's reputation in the real estate department, the fact Gowling WLG works very closely with their Birmingham office (work can be outsourced there and be cheaper for the client) and thirdly the firm is open to using AI in their transactions.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    That's a difficult application question, but I like those answers.

It's very important to have a clear structure with questions like these. I suggest putting yourself in the position of the potential house builder client and consider what matters to you the most when choosing a law firm. Once you have those reasons, you can identify what makes Gowling WLG the most suitable, using your knowledge of the firm. I think this is a better approach than starting from the law firm, otherwise you may end up with some great tailored information but it won't be relevant to the client. (Not to say this is you did this - just my thoughts on this task.)

This slide may give you ideas, although as I say, it all depends on the needs of the client, so many of these points won't be relevant.

upload_2018-11-17_16-30-57.png

• 🏆
    Reactions: ramona, AJ and J Malone

Alisha

Sep 26, 2018
    Would you write a pitch document in first person as if you're communicating directly to the potential client? I've never heard of a pitch document before so I'm not sure how to approach it!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Would you write a pitch document in first person as if you're communicating directly to the potential client? I've never heard of a pitch document before so I'm not sure how to approach it!

I think you have the choice and I've seen both approaches. Personally, I think you can make a stronger pitch if you write directly to the client.

Reactions: ramona

Tam

Oct 31, 2019
    Hi,

I have all the relevant research for this question but I don't know how to structure or start my answer, how would you approach a question like this one?

Reactions: Plum

Plum

Star Member
    Oct 30, 2019
    Hi,

I have all the relevant research for this question but I don't know how to structure or start my answer, how would you approach a question like this one?
    I’m the same! I’ve been gathering so much information but I don’t know whether to start more generally about Gowling or to launch into public sector etc.
    I’m not sure which different services to talk about either - I think competition is important as well as life sciences.
    Also, do you think you’ll split up PS and healthcare when talking about GWLG’s experience?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I’m the same! I’ve been gathering so much information but I don’t know whether to start more generally about Gowling or to launch into public sector etc.
    I’m not sure which different services to talk about either - I think competition is important as well as life sciences.
    Also, do you think you’ll split up PS and healthcare when talking about GWLG’s experience?

If the question is the same as the OP suggests above, do you think a house builder would be concerned about life sciences?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

I may have said this before but I see a lot of answers to this question that are too generic (talking about Gowling generally). I’d make sure your answer is 100% focused on this new public sector client in the health sector. Consider what kind of needs that client would have and then use what you know about Gowling to pitch their services.

Plum

Star Member
    Oct 30, 2019
    Got it. Thank you, I will launch into the sector from the get-go.
    I hope that life sciences would be relevant to this client, as well as some others like real estate, IP?

ash000_

Jan 6, 2020
    That's a difficult application question, but I like those answers.

It's very important to have a clear structure with questions like these. I suggest putting yourself in the position of the potential house builder client and consider what matters to you the most when choosing a law firm. Once you have those reasons, you can identify what makes Gowling WLG the most suitable, using your knowledge of the firm. I think this is a better approach than starting from the law firm, otherwise you may end up with some great tailored information but it won't be relevant to the client. (Not to say this is you did this - just my thoughts on this task.)

This slide may give you ideas, although as I say, it all depends on the needs of the client, so many of these points won't be relevant.

View attachment 384

what if the brief/question does not specify what the needs of the client are, what do you do then?

Also, would it be wrong to only talk about the health sector or is it better to talk about the public sector and health sector?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    what if the brief/question does not specify what the needs of the client are, what do you do then?

Also, would it be wrong to only talk about the health sector or is it better to talk about the public sector and health sector?

You’ll need to cover public sector and health sector.

Reactions: ash000_

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

^ Agreed - you need to talk about both.

I wouldn't expect the question to specify what the needs of the client are. You'll show your commercial awareness by working out what they might be and then suggesting how the firm is suited to advise.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.