Halfway through training contract and regretting my choices.

Lawz

Standard Member
Jan 11, 2020
Hello all.

I am an LPC grad, and began the training contract last year.

I am in conveyancing, and I am set to take my SQE2 next year. My thoughts are that I just vehemently dislike the area of law I am in due to the estate agents and the business model of the firm which leads to high likelihoods of complaints.

At interview, I was given the impression that I would have time in other departments but this is not going to happen because of my previous experience in conveyancing. They assured me at interview that I would have the equivalent to a commercial property seat but that has been few and far between (I have only worked on 3 files that are commercial property related).

I am working till 10pm most nights and on my weekends and the pay does not justify that. I have the typical problems that a lot of trainees end up having: sleep problems, stress, anxiety. It was terrible last month.

As I am taking the SQE2, and I would like more commercial property experience, would it be justified if I look to move to another firm? With the old training contract format it would not have been looked at kindly but with the SQE2 is this different now?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
With the old training contract it was very difficult to move firm during your TC - you would have effectively needed permission from the SRA. So moving between firms was a rare exception due to that rather than how firms looked upon it.

Yes, it will now be possible to swap firms if you are doing the SQE route. How willing firms will be to take someone on part way through an SQE training contract is really hard to determine though where it is so new. I suspect some firms will use it, just like how they have hired NQs before. For others they just wait until someone has qualified.

Have you recently spoken to the firm about a seat rotation or getting the commercial work you want?

Lawz

Standard Member
Jan 11, 2020
Hello Jessica, yes I have discussed that I would like to move into commercial but the work is not being provided to me. Technically, as I have done 3 commercial files they can say that I have gained commercial property experience but it is not what I was expecting.

I do want to explore the market but don't want to leave my current role with under a year gone, so I will assess the market/openings and make a decision with more information from recruiters.

At the moment, I have done enough qualifying work experience to actually qualify, but I will wait and see on where I decide to go from here.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello Jessica, yes I have discussed that I would like to move into commercial but the work is not being provided to me. Technically, as I have done 3 commercial files they can say that I have gained commercial property experience but it is not what I was expecting.

I do want to explore the market but don't want to leave my current role with under a year gone, so I will assess the market/openings and make a decision with more information from recruiters.

At the moment, I have done enough qualifying work experience to actually qualify, but I will wait and see on where I decide to go from here.
So the firm don’t do seat rotations for your TC? You can’t go and sit with another team and only do commercial work? I am asking to see whether you can change department/team completely rather than just trying to get certain work in your current seat/department.

My advice on QWE is not to apply for it with low level work even if you can do so under the QWE rules. Your chances of securing a NQ role/moving as a junior associate will be much more determined by the work you do, and one of the major risks with the SQE is that people become qualified but are under experienced for the market - we see this in other professions with similar qualification models.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Alison C

Lawz

Standard Member
Jan 11, 2020
So the firm don’t do seat rotations for your TC? You can’t go and sit with another team and only do commercial work? I am asking to see whether you can change department/team completely rather than just trying to get certain work in your current seat/department.

My advice on QWE is not to apply for it with low level work even if you can do so under the QWE rules. Your chances of securing a NQ role/moving as a junior associate will be much more determined by the work you do, and one of the major risks with the SQE is that people become qualified but are under experienced for the market - we see this in other professions with similar qualification models.

There are no seat rotations here for the TC, as this office I am at focus predominantly on residential property and they are not willing to switch me over because my figures are very good at residential.

Thank you, that is a good point. In effect, I need good experience. My experience is heavily stacked towards residential.
The problem I have is that I have done commercial work before and I need to find the same type of firm (high street level)
that will be willing to sign off the SQE.

People will possibly question why I would go from a national firm to a high street firm, but yeah, at this point I want to
be employable as a commercial property NQ, because at the moment it only seems possible to get a residential property NQ role.

I have read that Stone King hire residential property nq's to do commercial property work (with supervision), but other than them
I don't know.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.