Status
Not open for further replies.

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
Jan 22, 2020
Morning all!

Hoping to reach out to you guys as you're a very supportive bunch!

Is anyone feeling demotivated and a little lost? I'm a 2018 graduate and have been applying since my second year (2016/17) - although I didn't actually really focus on my apps until last app cycle where I did get results.

I think with the nature of recruitment too, with firms hiring 2 years in advance, I just feel that I'm losing so much time, etc. And the fact that the main recruitment cycle happens October - January so effectively it's like waiting it out with not much you can do ? :/

Just sort of losing steam and not sure what to really do. Anyone been in a similar position?

SportsThoughts

Star Member
Jun 4, 2019
Morning all!

Is anyone feeling demotivated and a little lost? I'm a 2018 graduate and have been applying since my second year (2016/17) - although I didn't actually really focus on my apps until last app cycle where I did get results.

I think with the nature of recruitment too, with firms hiring 2 years in advance, I just feel that I'm losing so much time, etc. And the fact that the main recruitment cycle happens October - January so effectively it's like waiting it out with not much you can do ? :/

Just sort of losing steam and not sure what to really do. Anyone been in a similar position?

You're not alone, in fact a frighteningly similar position to myself. A 2018 grad, applying since second year with only last cycle being a focused approach with results.

I had my week of 'deflation' last week. Make sure you allow yourself to have some sort of time to step back. I've found that if I'm feeling lost/demotivated I try and focus on something that isn't on the forefront of applications to law firms. Allow yourself this time! For me this was reading 'Billion Dollar Whale' which is a book about finance (something I really enjoy and currently work in), but this also may contribute to a well rounded commercial knowledge which might be later useful in the application process. I did this almost every evening last week as apposed to applications - the weather was good so I took the opportunity to sit outside and top up my Haribo-Squashy-like tan.

I'd say the courses on TCLA are also very useful where the content isn't necessarily application focused but will help you later down the line come next Jan/Feb interview season. Naturally it's very easy to stray onto the forums and begin where you started.

Whilst my examples have both been somewhat related to how I tailor my applications - look at doing almost anything else you enjoy, as it's likely that your period of demotivation will be temporary, especially if you've been on the grind since 2016! Even if you put all of your energy into one thing for 3/4 days you completely depart yourself from the process and come back with a fresh mindset.

In terms of lost time, it's only lost time if you do nothing with it - which I'm certain doesn't apply to you. There are still direct TC opportunities out there, LawCareers.net TC deadlines is your friend.

Whilst the above is specifically related to myself, I think the message I'm trying to convey is that if you find something that'll require all of your attention for a small period of time, it's likely you return to that apply4law portal raring to go.

Reg

Star Member
Nov 6, 2019
anything that isn’t specifically attached to your degree subject.
Sorry, I meant what would be examples of this and would examples from employment work? When I see this question, I immediately assume they want to know about perhaps being president of a society etc. I don’t really have any of that so I don’t know what I could use 500 words on.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Morning all!

Firstly, if it's any consolation at all, pretty much everyone I know has felt the same way as you are now. You are not alone in this and thank you for having the courage to reach out!

As @SportsThoughts so eloquently said, the time is only lost if you do not use it. My target right now is to try and learn at least one new thing every day that can help my commercial awareness. As such I'd really recommend looking into some of the courses I recommended in the 'Vacation Scheme Preparation' thread as they're helping me pass the time at the moment.

There are still TC applications available (most close end of July I believe) so I'd recommend checking some of those out if there are any firms of interest there.

Hope this helps but please feel free to discuss further - I know a lot of will people appreciate your candour :)

• 🤝
    • 🏆
    Reactions: Jean, Mia97, Zoo and 1 other person

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Morning all!

Hi,

I am having a whatsapp chat with a friend and I discussing about the exact same thing. I still need to amend a couple of app and start a new one..for a total of 10 apps but I am taking a break after that. I have been waiting to hear back for weeks and it is affecting my daily life and work..so I am going to sit and wait. I am super happy about myself especially when it comes to researching and drafting TC apps.
    You are great and I can see it from your post..we need to keep swimming because there is a chance for us.

After July, I am going to take a step back and relax for at least a good month..September is around the corner and I will make my list and stalk the firms that I want to apply to.

Take a step back, go for a run, spend time with your family or enjoy Netflix. But then comeback stronger and better than before

• 🏆
    Reactions: Mia97 and Zoo

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Sorry, I meant what would be examples of this and would examples from employment work? When I see this question, I immediately assume they want to know about perhaps being president of a society etc. I don’t really have any of that so I don’t know what I could use 500 words on.
    I spoke about how I manage commercial awareness groups, I am a goalkeeper and I am responsible for organising the weekly matches, I am an LGBTQ volunteer and lead the workshops

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

anything that you have had to show a level of commitment and responsibility to that required some deliverables, that ultimately you didn’t have to do but was your personal choice to commit to anyway.

Being president of a society is one of tens of thousands you could use.

h2020

Esteemed Member
    Dec 26, 2019
    I'm applying for Denton's TC. Any tips on how to tackle this question 'why dentons and why this location' (250 words). I don't know if I can explain why in 250 words. I tend to explain things in great detail.

Miki3999

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Jun 2, 2019
    I'm applying for Denton's TC. Any tips on how to tackle this question 'why dentons and why this location' (250 words). I don't know if I can explain why in 250 words. I tend to explain things in great detail.

You certainly can. Choose 2-3 aspects that you like about Dentons (their approach to the legal market, their culture etc) and focus on these only. In regard to "why this location" you can say briefly that you're applying (I assume) to London because London is the UK financial centre where Dentons' practice is particularly strong in X and Y and that you developed an interest in those fields in academia, just to link this back to you. You can also mention some personal aspects, e.g. you want to live in London because it is a vibrant city etc.

Reactions: Tushar and Jen E C

Reg

Star Member
    Nov 6, 2019
    I spoke about how I manage commercial awareness groups, I am a goalkeeper, I am an LGBTQ volunteer and so on
    anything that you have had to show a level of commitment and responsibility to that required some deliverables, that ultimately you didn’t have to do but was your personal choice to commit to anyway.

Being president of a society is one of tens of thousands you could use.

thank you very much!
    I think the application has two sections one for interests and one for responsibilities. I previously put CSR committee under interests but should I change that to responsibility? I’m a bit worried I don’t have enough interests and responsibilities to cover 500 words each.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    thank you very much!
    I think the application has two sections one for interests and one for responsibilities. I previously put CSR committee under interests but should I change that to responsibility? I’m a bit worried I don’t have enough interests and responsibilities to cover 500 words each.

Interests - something that doesn't have a commitment to it or level of responsibility, basically something you do for your own personal interest that has little impact on other people

Responsibilities - something you have to make a commitment too

The committee sounds more like a PoR role to me. However if it is directly related to your degree and the question explicitly states "non-academic" then put it in the other question. You can fudge it a little where there is a bit of cross over between the two questions.

I wouldn't worry about quantity - it will be more about quality. You can go back to things you did at school if you think they are relevant.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Reg

Reg

Star Member
    Nov 6, 2019
    Interests - something that doesn't have a commitment to it or level of responsibility, basically something you do for your own personal interest that has little impact on other people

Responsibilities - something you have to make a commitment too

The committee sounds more like a PoR role to me. However if it is directly related to your degree and the question explicitly states "non-academic" then put it in the other question. You can fudge it a little where there is a bit of cross over between the two questions.

I wouldn't worry about quantity - it will be more about quality. You can go back to things you did at school if you think they are relevant.

That’s great, thank you very much! The question itself doesn’t state about academics I just don’t have anything as I had to work alongside my studies. So I feel like I have a bit of a disadvantage in that regard. The committee was at work and I wasn’t sure whether that would count but it was voluntary so I’ll add it to the PoR section, thanks you! :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    That’s great, thank you very much! The question itself doesn’t state about academics I just don’t have anything as I had to work alongside my studies. So I feel like I have a bit of a disadvantage in that regard. The committee was at work and I wasn’t sure whether that would count but it was voluntary so I’ll add it to the PoR section, thanks you! :)

I'd mention that if it isn't clear from your work experience section.

The CSR committee role counts.

Reg

Star Member
    Nov 6, 2019
    I'd mention that if it isn't clear from your work experience section.

The CSR committee role counts.

I think I did mention it in my work experience section as I had like 250 words to use for that if I remember correctly. But I only briefly mentioned it so I could expand on it? I don’t want it to seem quite repetitive.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.