Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

J32

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Apr 4, 2019
Full disclosure, I've submitted over 30 apps across two cycles and about 20+ of them were all immediate post-app rejections/post online test rejections. I can't even count the number of days I've stayed home in bed upset over a rejection for an app I drafted 5/6 versions of, and the number of breakdowns I've had with friends and family over being "not good enough".

The more app cycles you do the better you get at writing them and the more your confidence builds at ACs. If you've already made it to one AC you definitely have what it takes to get past the app stage. I know it's easy for me to say now, but believe in yourself and keep trying! All you need is one vac and one TC, and it will happen!!

Just to add to the above, I've had around 40ish rejections over the two cycles I've done apps in, and failed 4/7 assessment centers. Before my TC interview with Links on a Thursday, I was riding a streak of 2 consecutive AC failures (Tuesday and Friday before that Thursday).

A lot of us, myself included, do not really post how often we get PFOs. But hey it's part of the process and pretty much every trainee/associate I've spoken to has had a crap ton of rejected apps (there are maybe one or two exceptions).

It's depressing sometimes, (I was very anxious as an international student going into my final year without a TC) but you'll become stronger as a result of it.

Your stories are inspiring and reassuring, thank you for sharing :)

Reactions: Bugsy Malone
D

Deleted member 5185

Hey - congrats on getting through. I found it was really useful to complete the assessment day practice tests, print my answers, and then compare them to the solutions PDF. For me, working through the solutions and understanding why I'd went wrong where I did was the best way to improve. The intros to each section of the solutions are handy for clearly outlining the way to approach the different types of question too. I'm sure this will help you exceed the 60% mark. Good luck!

Thank you so so much for this!

• ℹ️
  • 🤝
Reactions: HD and NMD

cowmoomoo88

Feb 14, 2020
I'm gonna piggy back off this and say same for me, Latham Spring VS offer!!

I too likewise have been super lucky this cycle and have received a total of 3 VS offers! I'm an international student and this is my last chance to secure a TC before I am forced to leave when my visa runs out. So the fact that my chances of securing a TC is now triple fold is crazy to me (especially after having been rejected post VS last year)

Thank you so so much to everyone on this forum because my success wouldn't have been possible without the many helpful strangers on here who have been kind enough to give me hints and advice on the ACs and the application process. Thank you @Jaysen for this incredible forum. I'm not exaggerating when I say it has honestly been game-changing for me.

I would like to return the favour and help anyone in any way I can as well. So if anyone needs advice/help with Bakers, NRF, Latham, HSF, Slaughters or Ashurst feel free PM me and I will do my best to help!

PMed you!!

Andreasyau1

Star Member
Future Trainee
Sep 17, 2018
Congratulations! Just wondering if you felt anything went much better in your successful AC compared to the ones you had just before? / what made it successful in comparison to the others?

I definitely felt that I impressed the partners a little more; but it ultimately came down to the the type of case study in the AC. I do very well in M&A case studies but not so much for contractual interpretation ones.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I was going to wait until 300 pages but you guys are already saying your goodbyes!

This thread has now been locked. Thanks to everyone for supporting each other in this thread, no matter whether you've been successful so far or not, it's always amazing to see.

You can view the new thread here.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.