Not open for further replies.

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hi all,

filling out vac scheme apps on my first cycle and its definitley a learning curve!

anyone have any advice for answering this question?

'Tell us about an outstanding personal achievement which added value to your academic or work environment'

I can think of personal achievements that have meant a lot to me, but I can't link these to uni or any of my previous work roles. Struggling to see what they're after with this question and not sure if I can actually answer it.

Thanks in advance!
If it’s not too personal can you give an example? Very hard to advise properly in an abstract way :)

KerC14

Valued Member
Jan 26, 2020
If it’s not too personal can you give an example? Very hard to advise properly in an abstract way :)

Hey! So for example, I qualified for a major gymnastics competition. All of my examples are extra-curricular so I can't link them with academics or work, I haven't been able to get involved with any societies or anything that I could say I've added value to in uni so I'm totally stuck.

Camilla

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • May 16, 2019
    Hi all,

filling out vac scheme apps on my first cycle and its definitley a learning curve!

anyone have any advice for answering this question?

'Tell us about an outstanding personal achievement which added value to your academic or work environment'

I can think of personal achievements that have meant a lot to me, but I can't link these to uni or any of my previous work roles. Struggling to see what they're after with this question and not sure if I can actually answer it.e.

Thanks in advance!

I think if I was answering this question, I would speak about an outstanding personal achievement like reaching a certain violin grade. I would then explain the skills gained from the process (time-management and resilience for the example I gave). I would then explain how I used these skills in my academic or work environment and what impact it had (using STAR).

That is how I would approach it, not sure if anyone has any differing opinions....

Last edited:
    Reactions: Helena and MVE49

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hey! So for example, I qualified for a major gymnastics competition. All of my examples are extra-curricular so I can't link them with academics or work, I haven't been able to get involved with any societies or anything that I could say I've added value to in uni so I'm totally stuck.
    Ok so when practising did you do so as an individual or as part of a team? Even if you competed as an individual?

KerC14

Valued Member
    Jan 26, 2020
    I think if I was answering this question, I would speak about an outstanding personal achievement like reaching a certain violin grade. I would then explain the skills gained from the process (time-management and resilience for the example I gave). I would then explain how I used these skills in my academic or work environment and what impact it had. (using STAR).

That is how I would approach it, not sure if anyone has any differing opinions....

This is how I was thinking of approaching it but I felt like that wasn't how they wanted it to be answered. I'm probably going to have to go with something like this because otherwise I'll have no answer, thanks for your input!

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    practiced and competed solo and as part of a team :)
    Ok so, did you and your teammates offer each other constructive feedback in pursuing these goals and did you offer support and celebration with one another in solidarity? I think that’s certainly an impact on your environment if you can discuss the fact you all boosted each other’s morale and how you did it and offered each other tips and pointers for you all to succeed. Do you see where I’m heading?

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    This is how I was thinking of approaching it but I felt like that wasn't how they wanted it to be answered. I'm probably going to have to go with something like this because otherwise I'll have no answer, thanks for your input!
    I don’t think this approach would be bad but I read it in the sense they’d like an example of an achievement where you’ve had a broader impact but I agree that this isn’t a bad way to answer this if perhaps you’re really stuck

Camilla

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • May 16, 2019
    I don’t think this approach would be bad but I read it in the sense they’d like an example of an achievement where you’ve had a broader impact but I agree that this isn’t a bad way to answer this if perhaps you’re really stuck

I see what you mean about the broader impact and 'adding value'.

The question is a bit confusing as it says 'personal achievement' and then 'work and education environment' so I am not sure whether they want you to talk about:

- a personal achievement within a work/educational setting which added value to the environment, or;
    - a personal achievement that had an impact on your work/academics which then enabled you to add value to the environment.

I think you could probably do either as long as you detail the action you took and what value you added.

Reactions: Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    I see what you mean about the broader impact and 'adding value'.

The question is a bit confusing as it says 'personal achievement' and then 'work and education environment' so I am not sure whether they want you to talk about:

- a personal achievement within a work/educational setting which enabled you to add value, or;
    - a personal achievement that had an impact on your work/academics which then enabled you to add value to the environment.

I think you could probably do either as long as you detail the action you took and what value you added.
    I agree entirely it could be clearer. In this situation, I have genuinely called grad rec before just to ask for clarity on the demands of the question and give them to ways in which you have read it in different ways. No harm in doing this at all - it shows dilligence and your confidence in picking up the phone :) i personally think they're trying to tease out an instance where an achievement has had a broader value add and i can think of maybe just a couple of my own to be honest and do think this is tricky for sure. I think they are trying to kill two birds with one stone hear but it is very vague i think!

Reactions: Camilla

TaliciaY

Standard Member
    Jan 22, 2020
    you said this was your first right? don't worry, it's very difficult to get it right on the first go no matter how much you practice. Being under pressure in that short time frame is nothing like being told about it! Although, with VIs I feel there is a steep learning curve to it so you can apply everything you've learned from this to your next :)
    Has anyone applied to the summer vacation scheme at Baker McKenzie and did not receive an invite to complete their WG? I submitted my application 2 weeks ago

I submitted in December 2019 for the Summer VS and haven't heard back either. I believe Baker McKenzie will take awhile as they are giving out assessment centres for the Spring VS.

DavidJC

Distinguished Member
    Dec 29, 2019
    What are everyone’s thoughts on still submitting applications whose deadlines are the 31st but are on a rolling basis? Are they likely to be full and will be a wasted application?
    I am under the impression that they will close early if they're full. I know I barely missed out on Slaughter and May's non-law direct TC (I'm studying Scots Law) since I fell sick for a week and they closed the deadline like a week early. I'm personally gonna apply anyway and keep my fingers crossed.

Sammie

Star Member
    Nov 13, 2019
    I know! I'm not sure why us two didn't get under review emails from Links(i got it from Travers tho...)...

I have no idea. But, I got the CAPP report, whereas others got the review email, and yet no Capp report. no idea why.

I'm part of the no "under review" email club too :( Applied for Spring VS near the deadline, and got my capp report a few days later. Havent asked for the WG results but will do tomorrow. I have never received an "under review" email. Have you never had one, or just not had one recently?

What were you guys' main strengths/weaknesses if you dont mind me asking? (Do people think there is a pattern of people getting similar ones and being invited?)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.