Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

W

Legendary Member
May 12, 2019
Is it normal for your interviewer to ask you questions like "why weren't you applying for training contracts in your second year when everyone would have been applying?" and also to say that "you are a little old as students usually apply to us in their second year of university"? I got a rejection after this interview and they've refused to provide feedback, but was wondering whether in hindsight those are normal interview questions :/ sat here wondering if I got rejected on my age... I am 25 :/
Slaughter and May ask questions like this. They generally ask these types of questions to test how you answer uncomfortable questions under pressure. If age was an issue for the company then they wouldn’t have invited you to interview.
Also since when is 25 old?

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Is it normal for your interviewer to ask you questions like "why weren't you applying for training contracts in your second year when everyone would have been applying?" and also to say that "you are a little old as students usually apply to us in their second year of university"? I got a rejection after this interview and they've refused to provide feedback, but was wondering whether in hindsight those are normal interview questions :/ sat here wondering if I got rejected on my age... I am 25 :/
Honestly with these they might be testing your motivation sure, but mostly testing how well you cope with difficult questioning. Even if your answers are solid and genuine they might be reading into body language etc. It’s such a shame they haven’t provided you with feedback and think post interviews candidates absolutely should get some. I’ve had feedback where I’ve been convinced it was down to one thing when it was something else entirely so is it possible it could be any other part of the interview? Rejection is really tough but well done for interviewing and I am sure this experience will help you when it comes to the next time! :)

Laura T

May 30, 2019
If that is true I should just quit now lol (also 25). Just kidding - like the others said I think it's just a way to make you feel uncomfortable and see how you react. We're definitely not old :cool:

Ifmhouse4

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Jan 14, 2020
very unusual to me! Your age should not have anything to do with it.. and in any case, being 25 means you have more work experience etc that has led you to truly know that you want a legal career. Seems very unfair, and the refusal to give interview feedback is just weird! clearly not meant to be & best of luck in the future with everything else!! :)

Reactions: D95 and Serah O

Frank

Valued Member
Dec 12, 2018
For sidley’s application question: what qualities do you think would make a successful leather?
Should I answer with multiple qualities or focus on maybe 2 or 3? And then relate them to my own personal experiences or not as the question doesn’t ask if I exhibit these qualities
I’d say 3-4 are enough, I wrote 4 because my writing style is very concise. Regardless, the trick is not to waffle

Frank

Valued Member
Dec 12, 2018
That seems pretty unusual to me - can I ask what firm it was? I know plenty of people over the age of 25 who have been successful. If they are judging you based on your age then A) they are breaking the law B) I wouldn't want to work for them.

Agree, and the answer to that silly question is because maybe I’ve been rejected lol (that’s what I’d answer in my mind). they wanna see how you react, Slaughter’s notorious for being ruthless sometimes

ComplianceChange

Legendary Member
May 16, 2019

So sorry to hear that you were rejected- was this the Jones Day interview?

Paige M

Future Trainee
Feb 13, 2019

I was recently asked something like this at interview. Mine was “Why are you applying now, you could’ve applied in your second year of uni?”. And like some people have said, I think it’s just a way to see how you react to difficult questions and test your motivation/commitment to law.

Reactions: Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
I’m sure Latham asked me something similar last year and I remained calm and just said ‘that’s a very fair and reasonable question, one I’d certainly want to know from an applicant too, but the truth is....’ and that seemed to be ok and I just smiled and then we moved on to the next questions :) always have an open body language and try to use your hands as this can make you appear more confident. Something I wished I’d remembered at my AC yesterday! :D

Kate

Standard Member
Junior Lawyer 25
Jul 25, 2018
Has anyone heard back from White & Case - vacation scheme?

Submitted the video interview last Wednesday but haven't heard since.

Separately, Ashurst pushed back their plans to respond to applications by the end of January. They are currently sorting through Ahead with Ashurst and Summer Vacation scheme applications and will only be getting to direct TC applications later!

Reactions: Jay-Lo and W

Lumree

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Highest Rated Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    I’m sure Latham asked me something similar last year and I remained calm and just said ‘that’s a very fair and reasonable question, one I’d certainly want to know from an applicant too, but the truth is....’ and that seemed to be ok and I just smiled and then we moved on to the next questions :) always have an open body language and try to use your hands as this can make you appear more confident. Something I wished I’d remembered at my AC yesterday! :D

Do I dare ask how it went!?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

the first question is very normal.

the second question edges towards age discrimination... :mad: (although that sounds more like a statement than a question)

Although it would be difficult to prove, if you were rejected on the basis of your age, you’d be entitled to take them to a tribunal for age discrimination.

Last edited:

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Do I dare ask how it went!?
    Ahahaha it’s kind of you to! It was very tough but I wouldn’t let that put anyone off or knock anybody. It’s just like many interview styles in this profession where people are looking to test your composure and thought process. I’m not holding out much hope though.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Lumree

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Slaughter and May ask questions like this. They generally ask these types of questions to test how you answer uncomfortable questions under pressure. If age was an issue for the company then they wouldn’t have invited you to interview.

Although technically you can’t and shouldn’t be able to tell age from an application/CV.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    If anyone is asked a question about the age and why they are applying to the job they are being interviewed at that age, the answer is to point out to your interviewer that they shouldn’t be asking questions relating to age

(btw the why didn’t you apply in your second year of uni is completely legitimate though, as that does not necessarily connect to your age).

W

Legendary Member
    May 12, 2019
    Submitted the video interview last Wednesday but haven't heard since.

Separately, Ashurst pushed back their plans to respond to applications by the end of January. They are currently sorting through Ahead with Ashurst and Summer Vacation scheme applications and will only be getting to direct TC applications later!
    Thanks for insightful update. Did they give an indication as to when they’ll start looking at direct TCs? It seems those tests has made them take more time than usual perhaps.

JayB

Legendary Member
    May 16, 2019
    If anyone is asked a question about the age and why they are applying to the job they are being interviewed at that age, the answer is to point out to your interviewer that they shouldn’t be asking questions relating to age

(btw the why didn’t you apply in your second year of uni is completely legitimate though, as that does not necessarily connect to your age).

Hi Jessica,

I’m curious to know, how would you approach the answer to “you are a bit old...” question? in a bit of a subtle way not a rude way, as if I got that question I would definitely approach it with a bit of a rude tone and I don’t think that will come along well!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.