Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenna

Distinguished Member
Dec 18, 2019
I applied to Dentons Direct TC recently. However, I have just been offered a TC with a small / medium firm. Is it worth emailing Dentons to advise them of this and to ask for an expedited response?

Pallatablelawyer

Legendary Member
Jun 12, 2019
Ropes & Gray Application rejection!!
Make that Simmons, Shearman, Sidley, Jones Day (post-Interview), Weil .. all rejections! My biggest barrier is the grades which were bad in 1st & 2nd year (mit circumstances).. Currently on the LLM so I’m on my last limb.. Sigh well I guess I’m going to have to start looking at paralegal positions. Hope everyone else’s applications go well !

FutureCity

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Dec 23, 2018
I applied to Dentons Direct TC recently. However, I have just been offered a TC with a small / medium firm. Is it worth emailing Dentons to advise them of this and to ask for an expedited response?

Congratulations on the TC offer. Do you have a deadline to accept the other firm’s offer? If yes, and it’s close, then I would email Dentons something along the lines of:

“I like Dentons. But I received another offer and have to respond within x days. I would like to hear back from you. Thank you.”

• ℹ️
Reactions: Jenna

KerC14

Valued Member
Jan 26, 2020
would I be better off leaving out my most recent employment, which was a retail job at a ‘low ranking’ store (it’s not a designer or more ‘up-market’ brand)? I’m worried it might be looked down on or give a wrong impression of me, but also wondering if the gap left with taking it off would look worse, anyone have any advice?

Olivia Graham

Star Member
Aug 6, 2019
would I be better off leaving out my most recent employment, which was a retail job at a ‘low ranking’ store (it’s not a designer or more ‘up-market’ brand)? I’m worried it might be looked down on or give a wrong impression of me, but also wondering if the gap left with taking it off would look worse, anyone have any advice?

I would definitely include it if you have the space!! In my opinion, working in retail can develop really valuable skills that are transferable to a career in law, just focus on drawing those out in your application!

KerC14

Valued Member
Jan 26, 2020
I’m in exactly the same position. Really can’t afford to self fund the GDL, don’t think il be eligible for any scholarships, and I was thinking about the MA in law too, but it’s still a huge investment without having security of a job at the end.
I think for now I am going to try and find a temp job (hopefully something legal), save up, re apply again and then go travelling in Feb/March time. But it’s still tricky because of all the timings

It’s such a tough decision isn’t it! The uncertainty of going through another bad cycle and being left with just the MA is a major worry. Yeah I think temp roles might be the way to go for a while, if there was more info on the SQE it might be easier

KerC14

Valued Member
Jan 26, 2020
I would definitely include it if you have the space!! In my opinion, working in retail can develop really valuable skills that are transferable to a career in law, just focus on drawing those out in your application!

Thanks! I always try and focus on the transferable skills but just wondering if certain brands can be looked down upon (even though I think most recruiters go through unconscious bias training)

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

Keep it in - don’t worry about the brand, that doesn’t matter.

Reactions: Daniel Boden

DavidJC

Distinguished Member
    Dec 29, 2019
    I'm not sure if it's the same for London, but when I attended an insight evening at Dentons in Glasgow, grad rec told me that they do not review direct TC applications on a rolling basis

• ℹ️
    Reactions: NickyRaykes, E and Jenna

Jenna

Distinguished Member
    Dec 18, 2019
    Congratulations on the TC offer. Do you have a deadline to accept the other firm’s offer? If yes, and it’s close, then I would email Dentons something along the lines of:

“I like Dentons. But I received another offer and have to respond within x days. I would like to hear back from you. Thank you.”

Thank you!

I'm not sure if it's the same for London, but when I attended an insight evening at Dentons in Glasgow, grad rec told me that they do not review direct TC applications on a rolling basis

Thanks for letting me know! I might just send an email advising them and ask if they are able to tell me when I am likely to hear the outcome.

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    Retail jobs are very important! it doesn’t matter if it was at Chanel or your local charity shop it shows that you are committed and don’t look down on anything!!

Reactions: HD, Alaw96 and SG

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    It’s such a tough decision isn’t it! The uncertainty of going through another bad cycle and being left with just the MA is a major worry. Yeah I think temp roles might be the way to go for a while, if there was more info on the SQE it might be easier
    The sqe confuses me, idk how much you know but this is what I know:
    It’s a set of exams which cost around 4 grand altogether. You can take these any time but uoflaw etc are going to be doing courses to help you prepare (the cost is still up in the open). However I think it favours law students because a lot of sources I have read say that sqe1 has similar content to the LLB, and I’m assuming sqe2 has similar content to the LPC. Also, you don’t need a training contract to become a solicitor, you can do any legal work experience and qualify. I wonder how law firms will react to this? I feel like they’re kind of not addressing this big change even though it’s happening in a year. :s
    Sorry if I just repeated everything you already know! :D

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.