Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

J Malone

Valued Member
Jun 1, 2018
Hey I have been soo sick for days so I could not do anything.

However, I decided to apply for Linklaters, but the due date is the 16th...

Is there anyone can let me know the question of there?

Camilla

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • May 16, 2019
    Hey I have been soo sick for days so I could not do anything.

However, I decided to apply for Linklaters, but the due date is the 16th...

Is there anyone can let me know the question of there?

The application just consists of a situational judgement test with a Watson Glaser test afterwards. There are no application questions this year!

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hi everyone,

I’m doing the SJT test for A&O tomorrow and wonder if any of you have tips to prepare? I’ve had a verbal SJT interview before which I think may be easier but never a solely online test-based one. I only ask as sometimes I can get stuck between two options and wonder if you guys have the same and, if so, how you go about it :)

Last edited:

Camilla

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • May 16, 2019
    Hi everyone,

I’m doing the SJT test for A&O tomorrow and wonder if any of you have tips to prepare? I’ve had a verbal SJT interview before which I think may be easier but never a solely online test-based one. I only ask as sometimes I can get stuck between two options and wonder if you guys have the same and, if so, how you go about it :)

Hi Alice

I managed to pass the A&O test without preparing specifically for it. I did not find it as difficult as some that I have taken as most of it was common sense and taking initiative (but still remembering that you are a trainee and learning).

I just answered the test honestly - that probably doesn't help much I know.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hi Alice

I managed to pass the A&O test without preparing specifically for it. I did not find it as difficult as some that I have taken as most of it was common sense and taking initiative (but still remembering that you are a trainee and learning).

I just answered the test honestly - that probably doesn't help much I know.
    No that is really useful!! Thank you very much! These tests are hard to prep but I sometimes just get stuck dependent on the wording but will pay close attention to detail and try to think about what I’d truly do :)

R203

Legendary Member
  • Dec 14, 2018
    Thanks Daniel! Yeah that's so true, will definitely take on your advise :)

- Just bummed out that it could potentially affect my cover letter even being read but yeah, gotta come back stronger!!

Thanks so much and all the best for your applications I'm rooting for you!!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Daniel Boden

Nick

Star Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Does anyone have Christopher Stoakes' book on Commercial Awareness? I have his other book - 'All you need to know about the City', so I'm trying to weigh up whether it's worth purchasing the Commercial Awareness one. Would be grateful if someone who has it could post a picture of the table of contents so I can see what's discussed in the book (have already tried searching online).

Any reviews on Jake Schnogger's Commercial Law Handbook would also be welcomed.

LuLa

Star Member
    Future Trainee
    Nov 28, 2019
    Does anyone have Christopher Stoakes' book on Commercial Awareness? I have his other book - 'All you need to know about the City', so I'm trying to weigh up whether it's worth purchasing the Commercial Awareness one. Would be grateful if someone who has it could post a picture of the table of contents so I can see what's discussed in the book (have already tried searching online).

Any reviews on Jake Schnogger's Commercial Law Handbook would also be welcomed.

hey, i don't currently have either of them with me right now, but I read both of them and I'd recommend them.
    If i had to pick between the two I'd go with Schogger's Commercial Law Handbook one considering you already have "All you need to know about the city", which in my opinion is Stoake's best book.

this is what i can remember from Schogger's book:

Schogger's book is very law specific. it talks you through the different practice areas and what lawyers in those practice areas do.
    then it talks you through acquisitions and expansions for businesses, the pros and cons of each (topic that often comes up in interviews)
    it also explains how a business contract is formed and what clauses are incorporated in it
    the last part of the book also explains balance sheets and income statements on a basic level, but still very useful!
    essentially its simple but very relevant

Nick

Star Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    hey, i don't currently have either of them with me right now, but I read both of them and I'd recommend them.
    If i had to pick between the two I'd go with Schogger's Commercial Law Handbook one considering you already have "All you need to know about the city", which in my opinion is Stoake's best book.

this is what i can remember from Schogger's book:

Schogger's book is very law specific. it talks you through the different practice areas and what lawyers in those practice areas do.
    then it talks you through acquisitions and expansions for businesses, the pros and cons of each (topic that often comes up in interviews)
    it also explains how a business contract is formed and what clauses are incorporated in it
    the last part of the book also explains balance sheets and income statements on a basic level, but still very useful!
    essentially its simple but very relevant

Great! Thanks for the feedback.

Bugsy Malone

Legendary Member
    Commercial Writer
    Junior Lawyer
    Jun 24, 2018
    Hey Flora - Many thanks, however I can't actually see any attachment - perhaps it didn't upload?

Hi Nick, sorry it wont let me upload as its too big so i've typed the contents below:

1. business, competition and innovation;
    2. the quest for consumers;
    3. a sense of direction;
    4. business formats;
    5. money and business (1) debt and equity;
    6. money and business (2) cash flow and profit;
    7. business, government and micro-economics;
    8. what a business looks like inside;
    9. working inside a business;
    10. what all of this means for you;
    final thoughts. an attitude of mind.
    index/glossary.

Hope that helps!

Nick

Star Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Hi Nick, sorry it wont let me upload as its too big so i've typed the contents below:

1. business, competition and innovation;
    2. the quest for consumers;
    3. a sense of direction;
    4. business formats;
    5. money and business (1) debt and equity;
    6. money and business (2) cash flow and profit;
    7. business, government and micro-economics;
    8. what a business looks like inside;
    9. working inside a business;
    10. what all of this means for you;
    final thoughts. an attitude of mind.
    index/glossary.

Hope that helps!

Thank you Flora, that is very kind of you and indeed helpful.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.