Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidJC

Distinguished Member
Dec 29, 2019
You’ll get positive news from other firms :) When did you apply?
Oh on the deadline (18 Dec?), this is my first application cycle and I've learned a lot, so I'm not bothered that I was rejected. I think the applications I've been submitting this month are miles better than the ones I submitted last month. It's just a bummer that I really liked CC and HSF but they basically had the earliest deadlines so I didn't get past application review for them. Still learned a lot and improved my applications based on those rejections though :D

Reactions: Lumree

Holly

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Nov 23, 2019
Also, does anyone know about the timeline and process for applying for international vacation schemes (e.g. HSF's if you get a place on their vac scheme)?

I would assume it ranges from firm to firm? I think that's a message for Grad Rec, so worth sending them an email once you get a place on their vac scheme. Best of luck! :)

Reactions: CL20

Lily

Standard Member
Oct 29, 2019
Hi everyone,
I wondered if anyone would be able to help me with how to answer a “tell us about yourself” interview question? What should I include when asked this question?

Camilla

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • May 16, 2019
    Hi everyone,
    I wondered if anyone would be able to help me with how to answer a “tell us about yourself” interview question? What should I include when asked this question?

I don't think there is one right answer for this, the approach I take is:

- What I studied at uni
    - Work experience
    - extra curricular positions/ relevant hobby

I try to bend it into a narrative of how I ended up in the interview seat at the particular firm.

Try to keep it concise and snappy though. You don't want to end up rambling which I think can happen with this question.

Reactions: A4991, Vany and Holly

jennyfromtheblock

Standard Member
    Nov 18, 2019
    Hi all, would anyone know of how to structure a discussion of a private equity deal at interview? It seems easier for strategic deals as we can discuss synergies and what we found interesting, but I can't seem think of what to include where it's a purely financial transaction aside from numbers.

Any help would be appreciate, thank you in advance!

FutureCity

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Dec 23, 2018
    I don't think there is one right answer for this, the approach I take is:

- What I studied at uni
    - Work experience
    - extra curricular positions/ relevant hobby

I try to bend it into a narrative of how I ended up in the interview seat at the particular firm.

Try to keep it concise and snappy though. You don't want to end up rambling which I think can happen with this question.

I am sure there are a lot more interesting facts about you than just what you studied and your work experience (which they can already see étron your application, unless it’s CV blind).

I would focus on your USP, as cliche as it is. What makes you, you. Focus on the hobbies, the fun things about you, and your goals.

Reactions: Camilla

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Hi all, would anyone know of how to structure a discussion of a private equity deal at interview? It seems easier for strategic deals as we can discuss synergies and what we found interesting, but I can't seem think of what to include where it's a purely financial transaction aside from numbers.

I’d say you can say similar things about a PE transaction. Assuming it was a majority share purchase, why did it buy the company for? Does it align with the PE firm’s principles or does it mark a new direction? Was it bought as a roll up? You can feed your interest into a lot of these questions.

Similar questions can be asked for venture capital investments or growth capital as it all comes back the PE’s strategy and the strengths/weaknesses of the target company!

Last edited:

jennyfromtheblock

Standard Member
    Nov 18, 2019
    I’d say you can say similar things about a PE transaction. Assuming it was a majority share purchase, why did it buy the company for? Does it align with the PE firm’s principles or does it mark a new direction? Was it bought as a roll up? You can feed your interest into a lot of these questions.

Similar questions can be asked for venture capital investments or growth capital as it all comes back the PE’s strategy and the strengths/weaknesses of the target company!

Really helpful, thanks!

Pallatablelawyer

Legendary Member
    Jun 12, 2019

Then maybe it might make sense to not talk about that unless you’ve submitted it. You could generally research the industry it was in though. So for instance Thyssenkrups running a bid at the moment. You could talk about the potential steady returns because it’s an elevator business where once users install them they’re locked in for stuff like maintenance etc. That’s a steady cash flow and a profitable company which private equity firms love. Hope this helps.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.