Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lauren2

Valued Member
Jan 28, 2020
I've got an AC with Dechert tmw and did the video interview in mid December. I think Ropes will start sending AC invites late feb/early march for spring schemes as they review everything after the deadline.
On the Ropes website it said that applications were rolling this year, which I think is a change from previous years! I haven’t heard anything and applied about 6 weeks ago though.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Just had an AC and I was initially happy with my performance but I’m just overthinking everything. Anyone ever been in position where they didn’t think they spoke about everything they wanted to? Feel like I’ve missed opportunities during the conversation to bring up things I definitely know about but just didn’t mention that could’ve really made me stood out further :(

pretty much every candidate, every time will feel like this.

Reactions: Daniel Boden and Camilla

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Just had a rejection post-app for an application I was really proud of and had spent days on.

Wish I could get feedback on it/know why it was unsuccessful.

Any tips on this?

Get someone else to review it for you and give you a second opinion.

Long Dinh

Dec 27, 2019
Worry not on the Kirkland front- I emailed them last week, and they said that their screening process is taking longer than usual due to an unprecedented number of applications. They confirmed that my application was still under review at that point. They aimed to get more outcomes out "within the next week or so". If you still haven't heard back by next week, then there's no harm in emailing them yourself.

Anyone else not heard back from Latham yet by the way?

I emailed them this morning and they said they are reviewing all applications and will get back to me in the next couple of days!

Reactions: M777

Shane

Distinguished Member
Jul 22, 2018
Has anyone heard from Latha post VI for the summer scheme ? Also, I'm just curious about the standard that is expected from the VI. This was just second time I have done one and I honestly find it pretty difficult to spend two minutes straight talking into a camera. If you stumble over a couple words or pause for a couple seconds, is that a deal breaker, or is it to be expected from most candidates ? I don't really have any context so was just hoping to get some thoughts on it.

bel123456

Valued Member
Jan 24, 2020
Has anyone heard from Latha post VI for the summer scheme ? Also, I'm just curious about the standard that is expected from the VI. This was just second time I have done one and I honestly find it pretty difficult to spend two minutes straight talking into a camera. If you stumble over a couple words or pause for a couple seconds, is that a deal breaker, or is it to be expected from most candidates ? I don't really have any context so was just hoping to get some thoughts on it.
it's definitely okay to stumble; in all of my successful VIs I wasn't 100% stumble-proof haha!! You're human; what do they expect. The best thing is to be natural, and sometimes what comes with that is some stumbling here and there! it's definitely normal

Reactions: Daniel Boden and Alice G

Shane

Distinguished Member
Jul 22, 2018
Great, thank you ! I think the fact that you can see yourself on the screen makes you over analyse everything that you say. I felt that the content of my answers were pretty alright and I communicated them fine for the most part, but still lost my train of thought once and stumbled over a couple of words. I find it quite hard to be normal on camera, I feel like I'm hosting a tv show or something. Anyways, fingers crossed.

• 🤝
  • Haha
Reactions: bel123456 and Daniel Boden

Samar

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Sep 28, 2019
OMG so typical, just done Latham VI and had just finished saying legaltech was a good thing... then the app crashed. When I signed back onto the app, it had skipped onto the next question so it has only sent four answer responses... and obviously the one after the crash one wasn't great.

Have emailed grad rec saying this but not sure what can really be done about it tbh, has anyone else had any issues like this?

How is it only Monday haha!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.