Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

AH9891

Valued Member
Jan 11, 2020
So far I’ve been rejected by Eversheds, PwC and SPB (post-VI) and I’m still waiting on Mishcon, Shearman, Gibson Dunn, Charles Russell Speechlys, Travers, Mayer Brown (post-tests) and Links! Anyone else still waiting?

still have not heard back from SPB. I find it actually quite rude at this point. Also waiting for OC and TW, emailed both but not received a response (and Lewis Silkin for the spring workshop).

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    still have not heard back from SPB. I find it actually quite rude at this point. Also waiting for OC and TW, emailed both but not received a response (and Lewis Silkin for the spring workshop).
    That’s so odd given that SPB’s ACs are on Thursday and Friday! Hopefully they’ll get back to you soon!! Good luck!

AH9891

Valued Member
    Jan 11, 2020
    That’s so odd given that SPB’s ACs are on Thursday and Friday! Hopefully they’ll get back to you soon!! Good luck!

i mean I know it’s a rejection, it would be crazy to invite someone to an AC with like a days notice. Just think it’s really bad form for them to not let people know. Anyway, thank you and same to you. Hope you have some positive responses soon

Miki3999

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Jun 2, 2019
    i mean I know it’s a rejection, it would be crazy to invite someone to an AC with like a days notice. Just think it’s really bad form for them to not let people know. Anyway, thank you and same to you. Hope you have some positive responses soon

They probably send PFOs in a batch, like all firms do. For them we are only numbers :D

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Rejected from PwC.
    However I have been disillusioned with their silly game for some time now. Really lacks the diversity and inclusion they pride themselves on!

Hate to say it, but it actually might be the most inclusive assessment out there ;)

Reactions: M777

M777

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 15, 2019
    Anyone heard back from Kirkland for AC invites or V&E? I'm aware the first two are still screening applications but I'm just curious?

Last edited:

Karin

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2019
    PwC seem to be flying rejections out today and I dont think that test has much to do with it in all honesty.

I have done that test twice this cycle - one score was 10,100 and the most recent PwC one was 10,200. Both got me rejections. I echo @Sha'i views that these tests are a complete joke, not sure what difference it makes how quickly I can move my fingers.

As far as I am aware the test has a cap of 11,000/12,000 so I wonder what people must be scoring to get invites.
    I don't think its about the test scores. I passed this stage last year and doubt that my score was super high. Each of the activities is testing different things - how you are thinking, whether you have resilience, whether you keep on repeating the same thing or change methods, whether you learn from your mistakes. I think it is much more complex than what we get to see with the score itself.

Reactions: HD

-T-

Feb 4, 2020
    Hi guys, I am currently writing a piece regarding the WG tests and would value your opinions.

Love them or loathe them they have increased in popularity with firms like Linklaters and DLA now deploying them as the sole barrier standing between a PFO and a place at their AC.

My personal view is that these tests are completely useless, I just fail to see how your intelligence is being tested as your competition may have an unfair advantage.

1) Many people get help from friends/family as its so easy to do so - the only thing stopping someone is the fear of repeating it at the AC (barely any firms do this)

2) You can now pay people to sit them for you and pay X amount to get into Y decile

3) You can purchase practice tests and answers - Again the law firms will be non the wiser.

4) These tests can be passed with a bit of luck. I did a practice test once (10 questions) simulated them and clicked one of the answers at random and got 8/10. Surely this does not make me more "smart" than the other person who got 4/10 but actually did it properly?

I would love to hear the views of applicants and what they think of the WG assessment. Its quite strange as S&M are seen as the toughest firm to obtain a TC/VS at as they are hugely focused on intelligence (high grades etc) but are also the only MC to not use the WG or any psychometric test.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.