Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

M1999

Legendary Member
Nov 28, 2019
OMG I just got an AC for macfarlanes!!! I’m in SHOCK! This is my first round of applications and I just want to say thank you so much for the kind people on here who gave me advice I really couldn’t have done it without you!
If anyone has any advice on the AC I would appreciate it so much. I have never been to an AC so any help would be appreciated. Freaking out rn lol.

CL20

Star Member
Oct 27, 2019
OMG I just got an AC for macfarlanes!!! I’m in SHOCK! This is my first round of applications and I just want to say thank you so much for the kind people on here who gave me advice I really couldn’t have done it without you!
If anyone has any advice on the AC I would appreciate it so much. I have never been to an AC so any help would be appreciated. Freaking out rn lol.
PM me! :)

• 🤝
Reactions: ZH, M1999 and Jaysen

Pallatablelawyer

Legendary Member
Jun 12, 2019
Hate to say it, but it actually might be the most inclusive assessment out there ;)
Yes but research has actually shown that those games actually marginalise
Hi guys, I am currently writing a piece regarding the WG tests and would value your opinions.

Love them or loathe them they have increased in popularity with firms like Linklaters and DLA now deploying them as the sole barrier standing between a PFO and a place at their AC.

My personal view is that these tests are completely useless, I just fail to see how your intelligence is being tested as your competition may have an unfair advantage.

1) Many people get help from friends/family as its so easy to do so - the only thing stopping someone is the fear of repeating it at the AC (barely any firms do this)

2) You can now pay people to sit them for you and pay X amount to get into Y decile

3) You can purchase practice tests and answers - Again the law firms will be non the wiser.

4) These tests can be passed with a bit of luck. I did a practice test once (10 questions) simulated them and clicked one of the answers at random and got 8/10. Surely this does not make me more "smart" than the other person who got 4/10 but actually did it properly?

I would love to hear the views of applicants and what they think of the WG assessment. Its quite strange as S&M are seen as the toughest firm to obtain a TC/VS at as they are hugely focused on intelligence (high grades etc) but are also the only MC to not use the WG or any psychometric test.

Really Interesting. I do not actually know what they test.

NickyRaykes

Star Member
Feb 28, 2019
It sounds like PwC use the exact same game as Taylor Wessing. Did you also have to match adjectives to (computer-generated) facial expressions? ;) TW also claim the score doesn't matter but I somehow doubt that. I only scored around 7,500 and I haven't (yet) been invited to the next stage while other people who took the test after me have. Also, no idea if and how I'm supposed to reapply next year if they still use the game; should I spend the next 12-months practising opening safes and blowing up balloons? Great use of my time and legal skills.

I totally feel you!! Last year I did amazingly at the TW game but still didn't get an AC. This year (despite obviously increasing my legal skills having worked in the legal profession for an extra year) I didn't do as well (because its a game :)) and I'm still yet to hear back from them... Deffo not my fave mode of assessment!!!

Reactions: EvaK

Ratish S

Star Member
Jan 6, 2020
I had an AC two weeks back for a training contract with four other people at the assessment centre. I've remained in touch with two of them, with one receiving a rejection last Tuesday and the other on Thursday. I called up graduate rec to enquire about my status and they just said that it's still under review.
Anyone with an idea about what's happening?

TashaC

Feb 4, 2020
Does anyone think I should disclose the fact that I have been offered a TC whilst reapplying this year (maybe in the work description)? I completed a Vac Scheme last year and was offered a TC afterwards, however although a really good firm it is not my top choice and I am reapplying this cycle. What do people think?!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi guys, I am currently writing a piece regarding the WG tests and would value your opinions.

Love them or loathe them they have increased in popularity with firms like Linklaters and DLA now deploying them as the sole barrier standing between a PFO and a place at their AC.

My personal view is that these tests are completely useless, I just fail to see how your intelligence is being tested as your competition may have an unfair advantage.

1) Many people get help from friends/family as its so easy to do so - the only thing stopping someone is the fear of repeating it at the AC (barely any firms do this)

2) You can now pay people to sit them for you and pay X amount to get into Y decile

3) You can purchase practice tests and answers - Again the law firms will be non the wiser.

4) These tests can be passed with a bit of luck. I did a practice test once (10 questions) simulated them and clicked one of the answers at random and got 8/10. Surely this does not make me more "smart" than the other person who got 4/10 but actually did it properly?

I would love to hear the views of applicants and what they think of the WG assessment. Its quite strange as S&M are seen as the toughest firm to obtain a TC/VS at as they are hugely focused on intelligence (high grades etc) but are also the only MC to not use the WG or any psychometric test.

WG has been around for a long time. I was sending out paper copies of the WG in 2005! I don’t think they are more popular now than they were then. If anything many firms have replaced the WG with other forms of assessment (video interviews/gamification based assessments).

No one is using them a a sole barrier though. Not sure where you got this perception from.

Firms often retest WG at assessment centre (along with verbal reasoning and other ability tests). The retest assessed whether you took the original test or not. I have not offered people in the past where the re-test didn’t match. It’s more common than you think for firms to retest.

As it isn’t a sole assessment, it’s likely that most people who falsely take the test will be rejected anyway.

Firms are well aware of practice tests and answers. Does not mean they are the questions you will get on the individual assessment you will get, as each candidate’s assessment comes from a bank of questions. If I took the same firm’s assessment as you, we’d receive different questions.

No paid for services can guarantee what percentile ranking you will get. Don’t fall for that marketing BS. Percentile ranking processes won’t be the same.

Practice tests are not a true indicator of the real assessment. They are assessed in very different ways - getting 8/10 in a practice test could mean a poor percentile ranking, while getting 4/10 on a practice test could actually be a higher percentile ranking (depending on weighting of questions/whether you get negative scores).

happy to discuss this more generally for your article, if that helps?

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does anyone think I should disclose the fact that I have been offered a TC whilst reapplying this year (maybe in the work description)? I completed a Vac Scheme last year and was offered a TC afterwards, however although a really good firm it is not my top choice and I am reapplying this cycle. What do people think?!

Have you accepted the offer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.