Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

D95

Valued Member
Premium Member
Sep 17, 2019
Rejected from PwC. Has anyone been invited to the next stage, I haven't actually seen anyone in this cycle?

I have applied to 24 firms in this application cycle. Every day there's either no news or bad news.

Sorry to hear about the rejections - they happen to the best of us, just hang in there a bit longer, I'm sure you will hear some good news soon!

As for PwC, my friend actually passed the game - he says it was completely unexpected, he got quite a low score (8000 points or so) compared to the others but apparently he must have done something right and his profile fit their requirement.

Reactions: JayB

Moon

Star Member
Nov 6, 2019
Sorry to hear about the rejections - they happen to the best of us, just hang in there a bit longer, I'm sure you will hear some good news soon!

As for PwC, my friend actually passed the game - he says it was completely unexpected, he got quite a low score (8000 points or so) compared to the others but apparently he must have done something right and his profile fit their requirement.

I really appreciate your positive message. I really need it today.

Holly

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Nov 23, 2019
Rejected from PwC. Has anyone been invited to the next stage, I haven't actually seen anyone in this cycle?

I have applied to 24 firms in this application cycle. Every day there's either no news or bad news.

Yeah I scored 10,000 and didn’t pass! I find it quite unreliable to expect to pass games based assessments. Plus I didn’t expect to pass PwC as I did quite rubbish in some of the games :p

Also I am sorry to hear you haven’t heard much good news. If you have any friends or family members (including non law) who could read your apps and provide you with feedback, that would be helpful. Based on this advice, you could have a go at some other apps that are still open.

w2719a

Star Member
Sep 9, 2019
Hi guys, I am currently writing a piece regarding the WG tests and would value your opinions.

Love them or loathe them they have increased in popularity with firms like Linklaters and DLA now deploying them as the sole barrier standing between a PFO and a place at their AC.

My personal view is that these tests are completely useless, I just fail to see how your intelligence is being tested as your competition may have an unfair advantage.

1) Many people get help from friends/family as its so easy to do so - the only thing stopping someone is the fear of repeating it at the AC (barely any firms do this)

2) You can now pay people to sit them for you and pay X amount to get into Y decile

3) You can purchase practice tests and answers - Again the law firms will be non the wiser.

4) These tests can be passed with a bit of luck. I did a practice test once (10 questions) simulated them and clicked one of the answers at random and got 8/10. Surely this does not make me more "smart" than the other person who got 4/10 but actually did it properly?

I would love to hear the views of applicants and what they think of the WG assessment. Its quite strange as S&M are seen as the toughest firm to obtain a TC/VS at as they are hugely focused on intelligence (high grades etc) but are also the only MC to not use the WG or any psychometric test.

I think they should make people do the WG as part of the AC. That way it does not cut people off post application and ensures transparency with regards to abilities. Ngl I tend to do quite well with WG so I'm not complaining but I do think that they could manage the tests more fairly.

Moon

Star Member
Nov 6, 2019
Yeah I scored 10,000 and didn’t pass! I find it quite unreliable to expect to pass games based assessments. Plus I didn’t expect to pass PwC as I did quite rubbish in some of the games :p

Also I am sorry to hear you haven’t heard much good news. If you have any friends or family members (including non law) who could read your apps and provide you with feedback, that would be helpful. Based on this advice, you could have a go at some other apps that are still open.

Sadly I don't have anyone to read my application. Before I start making further application I want to refine my existing application.

w2719a

Star Member
Sep 9, 2019
Its not something I think, its something I know.

Anyone who is dyslexic should be requesting reasonable adjustments and not completing the assessment full stop. But employers will know this.

I am severely dyslexic and I received extra time for the tests you mention, but I have never come across a firm which allows me to be excluded from taking them (I have asked). I was particularly anxious about this for an editing assessment at Linklaters as I can easily glance over spelling errors. They are a very supportive firm in making reasonable adjustments but exclusion from that particular assessment not available.

• 🤝
Reactions: ComplianceChange

Aurochschiette

Star Member
Feb 2, 2020
The 2 week deadline is often too long unfortunately....

...you'll probably have to give some extensions, and possibly even have to do a chaser email to remind people who haven't completed and then give them an additional deadline...

Those bad apples ruining it for all of us, ha.

But just think, at least you don't have to write hand-written applications these days. It wasn't that long ago, some of the big names were still relying on hand-written applications.

Oh, please no! I'd have been binned off instantaneously with my chicken scratch writing. I thank my lucky stars.

• Haha
Reactions: Sammie

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I am severely dyslexic and I received extra time for the tests you mention, but I have never come across a firm which allows me to be excluded from taking them (I have asked). I was particularly anxious about this for an editing assessment at Linklaters as I can easily glance over spelling errors. They are a very supportive firm in making reasonable adjustments but exclusion from that particular assessment not available.

My point on dyslexia was about games based assessments. For many other type of tests (eg WG, VRT, NRT) you should receive extra time, as that is a reasonable adjustment. That reasonable adjustment can not be made to games based assessments (as far as I am aware) which is why they should be skipped.

Sounds like the Links assessment is something where time adjustment can be made, so would be better to do that adjustment rather than skip it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.