Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawyerwithadream

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 8, 2019
Just gonna say this quick- I got my A&O rejection today and feeling honestly gutted. Only FF left this cycle and I did the WG on a very ‘low’ day and so worried I probably haven’t met the benchmark. Not too sure what went wrong with A&O and feedback could take time so closure isn’t an imminent possibility. I will be ok but just feeling really sad that I come so close to then fall at the final hurdle every time. Genuinely don’t feel like I can take many more of these setbacks so gonna really assess my situation these next few days. That wasn’t actually as quick as I expected but thanks for your continued support everyone. I just hope one day I might have good news for you guys too :) I don’t mean this to sound hypocritical as I always tell you guys it’s when not if, and I wholeheartedly believe that. But it’s important to weigh up the damage being caused in the process of all this and I’m just needing to take time to reflect. I really do believe good things come to those who wait and deserve it so I hope my headspace will be better as this week goes on.
Aww so sorry to hear this :( You've been amazing on this forum! All your support is much appreciated Alice. And I believe that everything happens for reason. Freshfields is the firm for you! Keeping my fingers crossed :) and remain the positive person you are and dont let this knock you down.

Hogan Lovells Summer VS rejection post-tests
When did you take the tests?

Last edited:
  • 🤝
Reactions: Daniel Boden and Alice G

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
Jan 22, 2020
Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience of being successful at App and going to AC but being rejected at AC and applying again to that same firm?

would be keen to hear your experiences. Kinda stuck on whether to apply to some of the firms that rejected me

thanks!

Jen E C

Esteemed Member
Sep 6, 2018
Is anyone able to provide some insight into the White & Case interview? In the past it seems to have been heavily based on the application form, which I wonder whether or not is still the case as the email invite states they will not have a copy the application form in front of them.

BE123

Junior Lawyer
Nov 15, 2019
Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience of being successful at App and going to AC but being rejected at AC and applying again to that same firm?

would be keen to hear your experiences. Kinda stuck on whether to apply to some of the firms that rejected me

thanks!

I got rejected at a firm post-AC last year, but have now secured a VS at the firm! I think it really depends on the firm, but I don’t see the harm in trying!

Reactions: M1999 and Helena

Jen E C

Esteemed Member
Sep 6, 2018
Hi all,

thanks!

I think it's quite firm dependent. CMS encouraged me last year to apply again this year after I reached AC, whereas Macfarlanes said at the open day you should wait a few years if you reached AC. Jones Day, on the other hand, discouraged applying again if you reached interview unless your application had substantially changed.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Aurochschiette

Holly

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Nov 23, 2019
Hi all,

thanks!

Hmm not sure its the same but I applied to CMS first year scheme, got rejected and got an AC from their vac scheme.

D95

Valued Member
Premium Member
Sep 17, 2019
Hi, does anyone have any experience of or advice for a vacation scheme interview at Stevens & Bolton? This will be my first interview so i'm not too sure what to expect! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Can I ask when you heard back from them? I haven't received any response to my application yet, so probably another rejection for me then...

Helena

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Feb 28, 2018
Hi all,

thanks!
I agree with others; it is firm dependent. Skadden and Jones Day do not allow another application if you get to AC. Macfarlanes allow reapplication for a TC if unsuccessful at AC for VS. It's really up to you and I think if you work on the app and the feedback, there is no harm trying. I am sure I read on here that one trainee applied to a firm 4 times before finally securing a TC at the same firm.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Aurochschiette

bethbristol

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Oct 30, 2019
Is anyone able to provide some insight into the White & Case interview? In the past it seems to have been heavily based on the application form, which I wonder whether or not is still the case as the email invite states they will not have a copy the application form in front of them.

I was wondering the same too! Assume it will be quite general and then based on your answers

KerC14

Valued Member
Jan 26, 2020
Sorry to ask again but has anyone heard from Irwin Mitchell for pls in the London office? I know a few people have heard back for this office on the bls side, but I haven’t heard anything about pls

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.