Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Anyone been placed on a reserve list for a VS before? Assuming my chances from now are slim, but would be interested to know if there are any people who actually got a place after people dropped out.

Its actually quite common. The chances of someone dropping out are highly dependent on the size of the intake, and whether they are ahead of their competitors in terms of the recruitment process.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I have my White & Case AC tomorrow which I’m already so nervous about and I’ve just found out that the trains are all cancelled - fingers crossed my bad luck runs out soon :(

look into alternative methods of travel (coach?).

If coach times are tricky (or you’d need to leave tonight and need overnight accommodation) call the firm up and see whether they would reimburse the overnight stay given the circumstances.

If it’s Bristol you are travelling from (given your name) trains do seem to be running though. They are not all cancelled

Reactions: bethbristol

bethbristol

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Oct 30, 2019
look into alternative methods of travel (coach?).

If coach times are tricky (or you’d need to leave tonight and need overnight accommodation) call the firm up and see whether they would reimburse the overnight stay given the circumstances.

If it’s Bristol you are travelling from (given your name) trains do seem to be running though. They are not all cancelled

Thanks Jessica. I am going to go down tonight and stay with a friend just so that I am sure I am in London. Just adds to the fun and stress I guess! :D

NickMcK

Star Member
Nov 16, 2019
I received an Irwin Mitchell London PLS VI yesterday (17th Feb). Applied on 10th Jan, 2 days before the deadline.

Just posting as I noticed a few others asking for Irwin Mitchell updates over the past week or so.

Their email is not specific on whether it will be competency or strengths based so any tips from anyone who has done it would be welcome!

jan28

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 12, 2019
Perhaps @Jessica Booker may be best able to answer this or anyone who has experienced this - what is the protocol if the train is so severely delayed due to weather or any unforeseen circumstances and we miss our AC or a big chunk of it? Is that a rejection?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Perhaps @Jessica Booker may be best able to answer this or anyone who has experienced this - what is the protocol if the train is so severely delayed due to weather or any unforeseen circumstances and we miss our AC or a big chunk of it? Is that a rejection?

Ultimately yes - if you can't attend an AC, you can't be assessed and therefore you can't be offered a job.

However, firms will do one of two things:

1) See if it is feasible to reschedule the day and run your assessments later that day (not always feasible though)

2) Reschedule you for a later AC (if ACs are running later and there are spaces available).

Key thing is: TO CALL AND EMAIL ASAP if you know you are going to be late and give a realistic timeframe of when you think you will arrive. If that is 2-3 hours later, expect to be rescheduled for another day though.

If you have a long journey and/or a very early start, my advice is to do what Beth is doing and travel the night before and stay with friends. If you don't know anyone within commutable distance of London (and that's most of the Home Counties), look to stay the night before and ask the firm in question whether you can expense a hotel room (won't be appropriate if your assessment starts late morning/in the afternoon though).

GM

Jan 31, 2020
I'm having second thoughts about the strategy I used to complete a WG test.

I decided not to complete the example questions as I had already done them in a previous practice round by myself the day before so I skipped through them as to maximise my time focusing on the actual questions, but now I'm wondering if my score might be affected by the fact I left the example questions blank (even though the correct response is directly beneath them)?

Sorry I know this is kind of a stupid question but I would hate to not be considered because of such a silly mistake :(. What do you guys recommend? To simply leave it or to ask Grad Rec about it?

MVE49

Star Member
Jan 3, 2020
I'm having second thoughts about the strategy I used to complete a WG test.

I decided not to complete the example questions as I had already done them in a previous practice round by myself the day before so I skipped through them as to maximise my time focusing on the actual questions, but now I'm wondering if my score might be affected by the fact I left the example questions blank (even though the correct response is directly beneath them)?

Sorry I know this is kind of a stupid question but I would hate to not be considered because of such a silly mistake :(. What do you guys recommend? To simply leave it or to ask Grad Rec about it?
I’ve always wondered this and just filled them in without reading just in case but I highly doubt it actually makes a difference. I would say it would be worse now to contact GR about something like that so just hope for the best, pretty sure it’ll be fine

• 🤝
Reactions: Lawyerwithadream and GM
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.