Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
oh so if i reapplied for a direct TC instead of vac scheme next time, that’s probably alright?

not necessarily.

we at danger of over generalising here. It depends on whether you are still eligible for the summer internship and if so whether you think a vacation scheme would be better for you than a direct TC.

Therefore what you can/should do for one firm might be very different to the next

Reactions: bel123456

bel123456

Valued Member
Jan 24, 2020
not necessarily.

we at danger of over generalising here. It depends on whether you are still eligible for the summer internship and if so whether you think a vacation scheme would be better for you than a direct TC.

Therefore what you can/should do for one firm might be very different to the next
i see, but in terms of re-interviewing, unless explicitly stated that they will not be re-interviewing candidates, do you think they would still interview me for a direct TC?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
i see, but in terms of re-interviewing, unless explicitly stated that they will not be re-interviewing candidates, do you think they would still interview me for a direct TC?

there is no single answer on this. Possibly yes, possibly no.

It depends on a huge range of variable factors

cowmoomoo88

Feb 14, 2020
Same for me - got my direct TC with HL having never done an open day or vac scheme! I do think it depends on the firm though - with HL I noticed that a decent (i.e. pretty small but not negligible) number of their trainees on LinkedIn had never done a VS before. I also got through to AC with Freshfields last year so they're probably worth a shot too

Congrats for Hogan!! Did you apply for the TC this cycle and when did you do so? Also may I know what the timeline was like in terms of interview invites and TC offer extended? I applied this year but am still waiting...! Getting worried...

A98

Star Member
Jun 17, 2019
Hi, I've also posted this as a thread, but if anyone can give me tips for negotiation exercises, I will be grateful!!

When discussing multiple issues, I often notice that the timing is running out and even though we're all aware, we have difficulty moving on to cover all issues. In this case, is it better to briefly discuss all points/issues but end up being vague or focus on a few issues to reach a definitive conclusion for those?

Also, what is a polite way of saying 'I'll give you X if you give us Y concessions'? I want to sound confident without being forceful or arrogant.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi, I've also posted this as a thread, but if anyone can give me tips for negotiation exercises, I will be grateful!!

When discussing multiple issues, I often notice that the timing is running out and even though we're all aware, we have difficulty moving on to cover all issues. In this case, is it better to briefly discuss all points/issues but end up being vague or focus on a few issues to reach a definitive conclusion for those?

Also, what is a polite way of saying 'I'll give you X if you give us Y concessions'? I want to sound confident without being forceful or arrogant.

You are being assessed on the process, not the outcome, so I wouldn’t get too caught up on whether you are being vague/or too detailed and then not covering the points.

what you have said is fine - there is no arrogance to that, subject to your tone. They are going to be far more interested in why you are conceding X though. If you are just conceding to try and get an outcome, that’s probably not the right thing to do.

Reactions: A98
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.