Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickyRaykes

Star Member
Feb 28, 2019
keep the day free.

no point in endless refreshing emails. Just check it 2-3 times throughout the working day. They will probably call if it’s urgent/short notice.
Thanks Jessica - do you not think I should reach out to them? Ideally, I would like as much notice as possible so that I can know how to prepare especially since I'm balancing this with full time work. Of course I have already taken the day off from work but I'm getting a bit nervous with the fear that they let me know a day before but I wouldn't have done enough preparation...

Elizabeth@1999

Feb 6, 2019
I have now got a job so I'm not bothered by it but I've just got feedback from why I was rejected after a winter vacation scheme and thought it might be helpful to others! Also it was defo a competitive one with lots of vac schemes and not many places so could also have been down to written work/ group exercise being okay (it wasn't mentioned in feedback) but not that great/ as good as others!

I was criticised for not engaging enough with the room I was sat with and not asking enough questions to them- I felt I did this as much as I could but I definitely reserved my general questions about the firm for trainees/ social events/ when already engaged in conversation with the room which might have made me not seem interested. I think I was probably too nervous about interrupting peoples' work, which is definitely a tough balance. I asked lots of questions in the talks and built good relationships with other vac schemers but they basically said I was too reserved in my office and it made them question my commitment to the firm- so if you're nervous with the actual lawyers in a vac scheme definitely try to put this to one side and think about how you're coming across to them- not just in socials/ to trainees etc.! Think the main thing is to not think of yourself as a nuisance to them (obviously don't be obnoxious and remember they are doing billed work) and put yourself out there as someone they are investing in and who deserves to be there.

I do think feedback should not be taken to heart too much as firms and people are so different and I've often been given contradictory feedback- just my experience.

jan28

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 12, 2019
I have now got a job so I'm not bothered by it but I've just got feedback from why I was rejected after a winter vacation scheme and thought it might be helpful to others! Also it was defo a competitive one with lots of vac schemes and not many places so could also have been down to written work/ group exercise being okay (it wasn't mentioned in feedback) but not that great/ as good as others!

I was criticised for not engaging enough with the room I was sat with and not asking enough questions to them- I felt I did this as much as I could but I definitely reserved my general questions about the firm for trainees/ social events/ when already engaged in conversation with the room which might have made me not seem interested. I think I was probably too nervous about interrupting peoples' work, which is definitely a tough balance. I asked lots of questions in the talks and built good relationships with other vac schemers but they basically said I was too reserved in my office and it made them question my commitment to the firm- so if you're nervous with the actual lawyers in a vac scheme definitely try to put this to one side and think about how you're coming across to them- not just in socials/ to trainees etc.! Think the main thing is to not think of yourself as a nuisance to them (obviously don't be obnoxious and remember they are doing billed work) and put yourself out there as someone they are investing in and who deserves to be there.

I do think feedback should not be taken to heart too much as firms and people are so different and I've often been given contradictory feedback- just my experience.

so kind of you to share your feedback so thank you!! good luck in your new role!

• 🤝
Reactions: Aurochschiette and Daniel Boden

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    I just received an invitation for an AC at Bakers! I did my VI on the 22nd of January btw.

Was wondering if anyone has any advice to share for the AC?

Hey feel free to PM me! I was offered a place on their spring scheme!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thanks Jessica - do you not think I should reach out to them? Ideally, I would like as much notice as possible so that I can know how to prepare especially since I'm balancing this with full time work. Of course I have already taken the day off from work but I'm getting a bit nervous with the fear that they let me know a day before but I wouldn't have done enough preparation...

Call them. Explain you work full time and that you need to know whether to request a day off.

You won’t need a huge amount of time to prepare even if that is the case.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Just received a VI request from Mishcon de Reya!

I applied for the summer VS on the deadline (15th Jan) for anyone that is wondering.

Does anyone have any information/advice to share regarding the VI?

From a recent candidate (though note, questions may rotate):

‘The VI was relatively straightforward. It was only 3 competency/strengths based questions (1 min to respond, I think?). No commercial awareness or motivational ones so no need to worry here.

Overall I was definitely stressing way too much and it was much friendlier than anticipated.’

• 🏆
    Reactions: Camilla

Changes

Legendary Member
    Jan 7, 2020
    Just received a VI request from Mishcon de Reya!

I applied for the summer VS on the deadline (15th Jan) for anyone that is wondering.

Does anyone have any information/advice to share regarding the VI?

I managed to find some info via google previously re: format and types of questions.

Think there was an old thread on TSR.

Congrats btw and good luck.

Andreasyau1

Star Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 17, 2018
    Stay healthy you all, this interview season can be very stressful and can wreak havoc on your immune system.

I've just been diagnosed with the good ol' mumps, and my doctor suspects that I could've contracted it through all that travelling to London for ACs. o_O All that travelling + stress could have done it (think I lost at least a kilo or two in the past few weeks)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.