Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

acceleratedlaw

Legendary Member
Jan 27, 2020
hi guys, how accommodating are law firms when it comes to choosing between dates for vacation scheme? i got two offers and they overlap so i was wondering if it would be no trouble to get switched to an earlier summer scheme for one of them.. is it ok to mention my other offer?

Asmee DC

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Jan 17, 2019
Can anyone drop some of their top tips for an AC? I have my first one this week and bit nervous. I know "be yourself" is one of the top tips, but anything else will help too!! :)

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Can anyone drop some of their top tips for an AC? I have my first one this week and bit nervous. I know "be yourself" is one of the top tips, but anything else will help too!! :)
General tips I try to keep in mind:

- be positive and be very friendly with the other candidates
- Always smile- your body tricks itself into feeling like you’re more at ease too when you smile
- try not to do prep the night before, relax and rest well
- remember eye contact and firm handshakes
- speak slowly and in a measured way
- really think about what’s been asked, if it’s why law for example, that’s not the same as why commercial law!
- prepare your outfit and have it laid out the night before so you don’t stress
- same goes for planning your route and allowing a good 30 mins, best to kill time in a cafe than arrive sweating and panicked!
- don’t ask questions that are too technical or get yourself caught in a trap by lying or conflating what you know. Be honest, they’re looking for potential and to see how your mind works, not whether you have faultless knowledge!

these are some late night Sunday thoughts but I hope they might help and don’t be self conscious, be self aware of course, but trust you’re meant to be there and just let yourself shine!

• 🤝
  • 🏆
Reactions: Holly, Eva, Jaysen and 10 others

Asmee DC

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Jan 17, 2019
General tips I try to keep in mind:

- be positive and be very friendly with the other candidates
- Always smile- your body tricks itself into feeling like you’re more at ease too when you smile
- try not to do prep the night before, relax and rest well
- remember eye contact and firm handshakes
- speak slowly and in a measured way
- really think about what’s been asked, if it’s why law for example, that’s not the same as why commercial law!
- prepare your outfit and have it laid out the night before so you don’t stress
- same goes for planning your route and allowing a good 30 mins, best to kill time in a cafe than arrive sweating and panicked!
- don’t ask questions that are too technical or get yourself caught in a trap by lying or conflating what you know. Be honest, they’re looking for potential and to see how your mind works, not whether you have faultless knowledge!

these are some late night Sunday thoughts but I hope they might help and don’t be self conscious, be self aware of course, but trust you’re meant to be there and just let yourself shine!

Thank you so much Alice! Will take this into consideration. :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
hi guys, how accommodating are law firms when it comes to choosing between dates for vacation scheme? i got two offers and they overlap so i was wondering if it would be no trouble to get switched to an earlier summer scheme for one of them.. is it ok to mention my other offer?

wouldnt say it is “no trouble” but switching schemes is a fairly common request. Expect the firm to say no though.

M1999

Legendary Member
Nov 28, 2019
I just had my first one and although
I didn’t think I did well one thing I was proud of was that I was confident. I’m usually a very quiet introvert but I just pretended I was someone else and kept engaging in conversations and trying as hard as I can to be confident! So be yourself but also be confident and if you’re not naturally confident fake it til you make it!
Try not to be nervous also, I know it’s hard but try and calm yourself down the morning of so you’re on your best game!
Best of luck!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
in-tray exercise, internal meeting simulation, and the interview

If it is an electronic version, your in-tray exercise will look something like the below.

upload_2020-2-24_11-57-25.png

It will be a simulation, very similar to what you a trainee's inbox might look like. would receive. It will assess your ability to decide matters, find relevant information, time management and prioritisation. Do not expect to know legal technical knowledge - most of the "answers" will be common sense and based on the information presented to you (you can find that information in the "documents" folder in the left hand column.

Reactions: Zoo
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.