Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidJC

Distinguished Member
Dec 29, 2019
Dechert and Akin Gump rejections this morning, got Links rejection last Friday afternoon too :D

Just thought I'd ask if this seems like a generic rejection from Akin Gump as I applied on the deadline (e.g. I know Daniel had his AC before the application deadline) and it suggests they would look at a TC application from me earlier.
upload_2020-2-24_13-2-9.png

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
Waiting on five now and the longer time goes on the less positive I’m feeling! Haven’t got through post app at all yet - which is deflating in the midst of interview season.

Honestly same, I only got to VI on one app and that felt like a fluke tbh! It feels very deflating but just getting an application in can be the hardest part and every rejection serves as a way of building an even better application for the next round/TC apps! We have to stay strong, plus no word = no bad news (yet) !!

While I don't want to take business away from Jaysen (and a fine job he does with reviews as well), if you would like some feedback on an application either of you has submitted, I'd be more than willing to spend some time to do it. I've had a moderate amount of success this cycle (7 or 9 apps passed the sift) so I feel I have a good understanding of what makes a 'good' application (I credit Jaysen for this).

Drop me a PM if you like :)

Anjeri

Distinguished Member
Jun 18, 2019
Dechert and Akin Gump rejections this morning, got Links rejection last Friday afternoon too :D

Just thought I'd ask if this seems like a generic rejection from Akin Gump as I applied on the deadline (e.g. I know Daniel had his AC before the application deadline) and it suggests they would look at a TC application from me earlier.
View attachment 1606

I was rejected from Akin Gump too but my email was different. I didn’t get through to WG stage though so that may be why

A98

Star Member
Jun 17, 2019
I've got a general interview question..
When you're asked 'Why our firm?' does it sound rehearsed if I structure it by saying 'firstly, secondly, finally'? What's the best way to make it sound natural and not rehearsed?

Andreasyau1

Star Member
Future Trainee
Sep 17, 2018
Can anyone drop some of their top tips for an AC? I have my first one this week and bit nervous. I know "be yourself" is one of the top tips, but anything else will help too!! :)

Pro tip: when I get asked a difficult question I always give a 'toothy grin' to show that I'm 'enjoying' myself and am confident, while hiding the fact that I am mentally swearing at them for asking such a difficult question. Take a sip of water to buy yourself some time.

Disclaimer: worked around 85% of the time. Use with care.

Lumree

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Highest Rated Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Just got my Dechert rejection. Not surprised as it was the first application I did and I don’t think I completed it well

Sorry to hear it! I keep telling myself it all happens for a reason - it helps somewhat!

Do you mind if I ask when you applied? Did you hear back post app?

D

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 11, 2018
    I've got a general interview question..
    When you're asked 'Why our firm?' does it sound rehearsed if I structure it by saying 'firstly, secondly, finally'? What's the best way to make it sound natural and not rehearsed?

I would avoid that approach. Have three reasons, just don't say "firstly, secondly" etc. Make it sound organic! This will be much more convincing.

Bugsy Malone

Legendary Member
    Commercial Writer
    Junior Lawyer
    Jun 24, 2018
    Rejection from Simmons VS London office - said they have filled all their places. Thinking I did slightly better this year though as last year my rejection was around the same time and said I hadn't met their bench mark so they couldn't progress my application. Onwards and upwards :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: ZH, Jean, Eva and 10 others

bzheng

Star Member
    Dec 23, 2019
    Rejection from Simmons VS London office - said they have filled all their places. Thinking I did slightly better this year though as last year my rejection was around the same time and said I hadn't met their bench mark so they couldn't progress my application. Onwards and upwards :)
    very sorry to hear:( is this after AC or VI?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.