Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

M1999

Legendary Member
Nov 28, 2019
Sorry to hear it! I keep telling myself it all happens for a reason - it helps somewhat!

Do you mind if I ask when you applied? Did you hear back post app?
Hi! I applied really early I can’t remember the exact date but I think it was 2nd December. I didn’t hear anything at all until today!

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
Thanks!! What would be the best way to tie the points together so that it sounds concise and not like I'm rambling ??

I like to dive straight in with my first point, just without saying it - "What really attracts me to the firm is X". I will ensure that as I am quantifying my explanation, it is setting up my next point so it is an entirely fluid transition. One way you may wish to do this is to talk about rankings and then training (because your training will involve sitting in those ranked departments). This is incredibly cliche and serves only as an example, but you can see my point.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Dechert and Akin Gump rejections this morning, got Links rejection last Friday afternoon too :D

Just thought I'd ask if this seems like a generic rejection from Akin Gump as I applied on the deadline (e.g. I know Daniel had his AC before the application deadline) and it suggests they would look at a TC application from me earlier.
View attachment 1606

Generic but encouraging rejection to me

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I've got a general interview question..
When you're asked 'Why our firm?' does it sound rehearsed if I structure it by saying 'firstly, secondly, finally'? What's the best way to make it sound natural and not rehearsed?

I don't think it needs to be that structured. Rather than "firstly, secondly" etc.... you can say things with more impact like. "The most important factor to me when choosing a firm was X" or the "three key factors were..." "Firstly, secondly" etc just starts to sound like you are reeling things off.

M&ALawyer

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Jul 29, 2019
I have a question regarding contact grad recruitment post interview.

I attended an interview over 2 weeks ago. At the time they said they would respond within a week, and told me to contact them if I had not heard by the end of last week. I did so on Thursday and they said they would provide me with an update immediately. The delay in response I gather is something to do with an issue/discrepency in my application form (which I contested but they need to make a decision on).

4 days have passed since I called them, and I still do not have any more information. This presents a bit of an issue as I have a current vacation scheme offer which clashes with theirs, amongst some interviews for schemes in the next week - which again clash with their one. I need to know soon whether they have rejected me or not.

I don't wish to continually press for an answer, but feel it is kind of necessary. Is it acceptable to call them again?

Thanks!

TTD20

Jan 16, 2020
I have a question relating to a VI. If I am asked what differentiates us from our competitors, is it okay to talk about billable hours? The firm has significantly less billable targets than its competitors so could demonstrate greater work life balance - or does this sound lazy of me? I would have already talked about the work and the firm's reputation though. Does anyone have any advice / tips?

MVE49

Star Member
Jan 3, 2020
I have a question relating to a VI. If I am asked what differentiates us from our competitors, is it okay to talk about billable hours? The firm has significantly less billable targets than its competitors so could demonstrate greater work life balance - or does this sound lazy of me? I would have already talked about the work and the firm's reputation though. Does anyone have any advice / tips?
I think this would be okay if you link it to productivity of work rather than specifically having more free time.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I have a question regarding contact grad recruitment post interview.

I attended an interview over 2 weeks ago. At the time they said they would respond within a week, and told me to contact them if I had not heard by the end of last week. I did so on Thursday and they said they would provide me with an update immediately. The delay in response I gather is something to do with an issue/discrepency in my application form (which I contested but they need to make a decision on).

4 days have passed since I called them, and I still do not have any more information. This presents a bit of an issue as I have a current vacation scheme offer which clashes with theirs, amongst some interviews for schemes in the next week - which again clash with their one. I need to know soon whether they have rejected me or not.

I don't wish to continually press for an answer, but feel it is kind of necessary. Is it acceptable to call them again?

Thanks!

PM me about this - it would be good to understand what the discrepancy/issue is

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

Rather than billiable hours specifically, I would talk about the general culture of work life balance and talk about the other matters they put around billable hours too.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Alice G, Eva and Holly

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    While I don't want to take business away from Jaysen (and a fine job he does with reviews as well), if you would like some feedback on an application either of you has submitted, I'd be more than willing to spend some time to do it. I've had a moderate amount of success this cycle (7 or 9 apps passed the sift) so I feel I have a good understanding of what makes a 'good' application (I credit Jaysen for this).

Drop me a PM if you like :)

Not at all - feel free to, your applications are excellent!

Reactions: Lumree
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.