Hill Dickinson 2020/2021

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
Has anyone been invited to the HD open day today? I can't remember if I applied or whether this is linked to the TC app process...
I think you could apply to the open day when you applied for the vac scheme. But I think I chose not to because there was an additional question (s). Check your submitted application on apply4law if you aren't sure?

Reactions: TLS_

TLS_

Feb 7, 2021
Yes I just checked appl4law and did apply alongside the insight scheme/TC. I received my invite last week however I was just being hopeful that it was an indication to my outcome post written exercise🤣

Shannon

May 17, 2020
I wish they would just send me a PFO already so I can stop checking my emails. I thought the interview went really well although I did have trouble connecting to Teams and so they had to call me instead. I guess they didn’t like that :/
I don’t think you should give up hope yet, they had to call me too so don’t get too disheartened that that is the reason. What stream did you apply for? Mine is business services. They may just be doing them in batches :)

Reactions: Leightoncass

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
I wish they would just send me a PFO already so I can stop checking my emails. I thought the interview went really well although I did have trouble connecting to Teams and so they had to call me instead. I guess they didn’t like that :/
I doubt very much that would work against you. I think they're just REALLY busy right now. Those of us who applied to Liverpool have also been waiting almost a month post-written task.

Reactions: Leightoncass

fLAWsome

Apr 15, 2021
Any insights into how a group exercise is organised now remotely, and what it usually entails (commercial exercise, legal exercise, pure team-building exercise)? I am interested in White & Case specifically, but other experiences (and tips) are welcomed as well. Thanks!

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
Any insights into how a group exercise is organised now remotely, and what it usually entails (commercial exercise, legal exercise, pure team-building exercise)? I am interested in White & Case specifically, but other experiences (and tips) are welcomed as well. Thanks!
I don't have experience with W&C but have done quite a few group exercise this year. They tend to give you a task along with a scenario and/or a document with a load of facts and figures. You get some time to look through them independently. Then you're given a period of time to discuss within your group and prepare to present to a partner. This will usually involve a Q&A.

The tasks themselves can vary. One of mine this year was to advise a client on funding a new business opportunity. One was to think of a new "service" for a firm to offer to clients. One was organising an annual conference for clients. One was to propose something to a firm which would make employees who work virtually feel more included. In the past I've also known tasks where you pitch a business idea to a bank, advise a client of pros/cons to moving their business overseas, and pitching a "legal tech" product.

In terms of tips, I would say (cliché) be yourself. Consider what your strengths are when working in a team and look to use that (e.g. are you a leader or a thinker, evaluator, shaper, etc). Regardless of what you are, make sure to both voice your own views and develop others in the group. Try to make sure that everybody is included in the discussion. And, of course, consider non-legal impacts of the proposals (e.g. commercial, practical, branding, etc).

Reactions: fLAWsome

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.