Hogan Lovells TC or VS application?

Florawilliams

Esteemed Member
Sep 17, 2020
Hi guys

I'm a graduate and a paralegal and am looking to apply to Hogan Lovells.

I've already done a vac scheme (at Ashurst) (last year) and i want to apply directly for a TC at Lovells. However, my question is should i apply for a VS or TC?

I am worried as i know for a lot of firms it is wise to apply for a VS as most firms recruit largely off the VS.

Does anyone know if Lovells recruit much off direct TC apps or it is better to apply for the VS?

Thank you! :D

Adam Gilchrist

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
Highest Rated Member
May 4, 2020
thanks! how do you know this! thank you for the help :)

As of 2015, they recruited just over 50% from their vac scheme: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....32c7b1-bca1-4bb5-a127-9ac6595007ab-jpeg.1993/ (thanks @Jessica Booker)! That said, the statistics are 5 years out of date, and - for example - Linklaters recruit rather more from their VS now than they used to do, and note that the percentage HL recruited from their VS more than doubled between 2014 & 2015.

I suspect that any more official figures will be much harder to track down (if at all published) - so (Unofficial) information on the matter is mostly gleaned from TCLA/TSR, working out who got a TC and on what basis they applied for it.

Reactions: Nat000

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
An incredibly rough way of calculating how many VS fill their TC

Take total number of vac scheme places x 80% = A

A x 80% = B

Total number of TCs - B = approximate number of TCs left for direct applicants

• ℹ️
Reactions: Lawbour and Adam Gilchrist

LLawR

Standard Member
Sep 8, 2020
Hi guys

I'm a graduate and a paralegal and am looking to apply to Hogan Lovells.

I've already done a vac scheme (at Ashurst) (last year) and i want to apply directly for a TC at Lovells. However, my question is should i apply for a VS or TC?

I am worried as i know for a lot of firms it is wise to apply for a VS as most firms recruit largely off the VS.

Does anyone know if Lovells recruit much off direct TC apps or it is better to apply for the VS?

Thank you! :D
Hey, I actually spoke to graduate recruitment about this in early September. They said that they fill roughly 75% of their TC spaces through VS's. The people who tend to apply for a direct TC are those who have already completed a vac scheme or have experience as a paralegal. If you want to discuss your specific background with them to see what they say, the grad recruitment team have been extremely helpful whenever I've reached out via the phone with questions!!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.