How do you effectively manage your time?

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018
Evening All,

With applications being the death of me (legit), I would love to hear about how everyone balances their time with apps -whether that means waking up early, sitting in a cafe or starting apps a week before the deadline (I do not do this) hahaha

Or what do you do to make the application process a lot more fun, enjoyable or less stressful ?

I personally like to prepare a hot cup of peppermint tea and date cake, call my mum for a prep talk on how positive I should be with the new cycle of applications and then off I gooo with my research and writing my apps

What do others do?

AJ

Legendary Member
Sep 11, 2018
Can I also chip in (suggest amending the title as a result) to ask alongside time management how people keep going?? And find the motivation to keep researching and drafting up applications and applying?

Agree with Selma that the cycle has hardly been open for long and I’m already struggling.

I find the process demoralising and depressing.

Reactions: Jaysen and Salma

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018
Can I also chip in (suggest amending the title as a result) to ask alongside time management how people keep going?? And find the motivation to keep researching and drafting up applications and applying?

Agree with Selma that the cycle has hardly been open for long and I’m already struggling.

I find the process demoralising and depressing.

Agreed, however, I think I will the keep the title only because it relates to both questions - time manangement/how does one keep going, as they both inevitably overlap.

I think one thing that motivates me when drafting up applications is re-reading my apps from my very first ‘app cycle’ or whatever you wanna call it and just appreciating and patting myself on the back (literally) with how far I have come thus far with writing apps to different firms BUT also noting that with every rejection at app, interview or post vac scheme, I have learnt some invaluable experiences and skills that will benefit me long term when it comes to re-writing apps or how to sell myself better as a candidate and for that I am very grateful.

In terms for the process being depressing and demoralising, it is very very true! But keep at it, patience and a positive mindset will get you very far!

What do you do to keep positive and make the whole application cycle a lot more enjoyable (I know this is easier said than done ahah)?

Reactions: AJ and Jaysen

Lawgirlxo

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
Jun 20, 2018
Here's how I manage to stay afloat:

I wake up early to give myself more 'working hours' (usually 6:00-6:30ish). Get to uni/library for 9:00 and start cracking on school work. Get back home around 5/6/7 ish and continue with apps.

That said, I still work on applications during the day. If I have a one hour break between lectures, I do some research, proof read an application or read the news. Most times, I find myself jotting down answers during these short periods. Also, during the bus ride to and from uni, I think about my applications - what can I do to make it better, is my answer convincing enough? can this sentence be written in a better way? (PS I type all my application answers in a word document and email it to myself so I am constantly reviewing it.

As for motivation, I think the easiest way people get demotivated is when they compare themselves to others (and how far they've progressed). I could be motivated to complete my application for a firm tomorrow night and then by tomorrow afternoon, I find out that my friend has sent out 4 applications. Of course this is depressing.

So, what do I do? I mind my business; I don't ask people about their application process and hopefully they don't. I also stay away from surroundings/websites that could tempt me to compare myself to others (including TCLA sometimes, sorry Jaysen :)).

Also, this has to be for you and you alone. I always have to stop myself from 'showing those firms which rejected me' or proving to the people I did a vac scheme with that I got a TC with a better firm.

Finally, you just gotta believe. No one can believe in your capabilities if you don't, there's no time to play the victim - get out there and spread your wings. I like to re-reinforce self-belief so I've downloaded short motivational talks on my spotify playlist. Instead of listening to music, I play them on my way to the bus stop, as I dress my bed, as I walk to class etc. Its just a little habit I've formed and it helps a great deal.

I hope this helps, good luck!

• 🏆
Reactions: AJ, Salma and Jaysen

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018
Here's how I manage to stay afloat:

I wake up early to give myself more 'working hours' (usually 6:00-6:30ish). Get to uni/library for 9:00 and start cracking on school work. Get back home around 5/6/7 ish and continue with apps.

That said, I still work on applications during the day. If I have a one hour break between lectures, I do some research, proof read an application or read the news. Most times, I find myself jotting down answers during these short periods. Also, during the bus ride to and from uni, I think about my applications - what can I do to make it better, is my answer convincing enough? can this sentence be written in a better way? (PS I type all my application answers in a word document and email it to myself so I am constantly reviewing it.

As for motivation, I think the easiest way people get demotivated is when they compare themselves to others (and how far they've progressed). I could be motivated to complete my application for a firm tomorrow night and then by tomorrow afternoon, I find out that my friend has sent out 4 applications. Of course this is depressing.

So, what do I do? I mind my business; I don't ask people about their application process and hopefully they don't. I also stay away from surroundings/websites that could tempt me to compare myself to others (including TCLA sometimes, sorry Jaysen :)).

Also, this has to be for you and you alone. I always have to stop myself from 'showing those firms which rejected me' or proving to the people I did a vac scheme with that I got a TC with a better firm.

Finally, you just gotta believe. No one can believe in your capabilities if you don't, there's no time to play the victim - get out there and spread your wings. I like to re-reinforce self-belief so I've downloaded short motivational talks on my spotify playlist. Instead of listening to music, I play them on my way to the bus stop, as I dress my bed, as I walk to class etc. Its just a little habit I've formed and it helps a great deal.

I hope this helps, good luck!

Amazing!!!! I totally agree with you.

I think that one thing that I have noticed is that once you stop comparing yourself to peers who have sent 10 applications already or you just simply ‘mind your business’ as you suggest Lawgal you become a lot more productive.

Reactions: AJ

AJ

Legendary Member
Sep 11, 2018
Really helpful @Selma95 @Lawgirlxo !!

Don’t think I will ever be able to enjoy the process and applications. But I try to just manage my expectations and not put any pressure on myself. Just do a little each day whether that’s drafting a question or research on a bus or train (time management). There are only so many hours in a day. I try not to get fazed that one application took a few days and another is taking a few weeks. Mindset I have is just to try to give it my best and what will be will be. I can only do my bit by sending in an application - which is harder to motivate myself for when firms have stupidly long applications. If I don’t then there’s zero chance.

Reactions: Jaysen

FreddyS

Distinguished Member
Feb 28, 2018
Two hours a day, 4-6pm and 9-10pm. On weekends, this increases to three to four hours a day. I find if I switch all distractions and just concentrate for those hours I can get a fair bit done. As I get closer to the deadline, I'll increase this.

Reactions: Salma

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.