How do you 'network'?

FreddyS

Distinguished Member
Feb 28, 2018
I wasnt sure where to post this so please move it if it's on the wrong place. This isn't really applicable to me yet but it will be soon. I was wondering if you had any tips on networking during schemes? How do you 'work the room'? Do I prepare?

Sofia

Star Member
Feb 28, 2018
I wasnt sure where to post this so please move it if it's on the wrong place. This isn't really applicable to me yet but it will be soon. I was wondering if you had any tips on networking during schemes? How do you 'work the room'? Do I prepare?

What I learned from many of my boyfriend's networking events:
  1. Follow-up with people so they remember you (and in the email mention what you discussed), keep the follow up short
  2. To leave a group excuse yourself for food/drink/the loo
  3. Make a point to remember their name as they introduce yourself. It can be very awkward later down the line if you don't!

NAremu

Feb 26, 2018
  1. Follow-up with people so they remember you (and in the email mention what you discussed), keep the follow up short
  3. Make a point to remember their name as they introduce yourself. It can be very awkward later down the line if you don't!
Good stuff, is your boyfriend an investment banker by any chance?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

Great advice. I'd add that it helps to see networking as a way of genuinely getting to know people. I think that goes a long way and it makes it much more enjoyable.

Reactions: Coralin96
    J

Jonty Bouskill

To reiterate what Jaysen said, being genuinely interested in people goes a long way at networking events with regards to the impression it leaves on them. If you're only out for yourself and have a clear agenda, you'll be spotted from a mile away

Just go in with an open, friendly and honest demeanor and people will respond to you. The first few events I ever went to, I was really nervous about networking. I wasn't sure, especially with the more senior people, how I could possibly have anything of interest to say to them. But after being to quite a few, I've come to realise that people mostly just want to talk. You could talk about their (and your) career interests or trends in the marketplace or simply make conversation about day-to-day things like where they come from or live now etc. Obviously at more tailored events (e.g. a LawTech seminar) you'd have pretty set things to talk about already but really there is no magic recipe or tick-sheet to follow, it's just about being relaxed and having a conversation (and, depending on the event, a free beer or two)

Reactions: newtothis

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.